PDA

View Full Version : Digital version if print book is owned?

Chrysto
April 16th, 2020, 20:26
Is there any way to gain access to the digital version of our physically owned books for use in FG? I don't really want to buy them all again!

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2020, 20:32
No. The digital versions are different. If you are playing Pathfinder you can get a discount if you own the pdf of certain books but otherwise no.

Griogre
April 16th, 2020, 20:34
No there isn't. Be aware that the PH for FG is not the same as a PDF, it has all the PH material formatted to work with FG so you can drag and drop the content and build character sheets that allow you to target, roll dice, make saves, ect. Also keep in mind you don't need a PH in FG format unless you are running the game. One last thing you can see if getting the PH would be worth it to you by using the free SRD if the game you are playing has one - to see if it would be worth it to purchase the PH.

Finally you can input all the material yourself by hand. That is what you are really paying for when you purchase the PH from Smiteworks, the time it took to convert all the material into that ruleset framework.

If you have any other questions, just ask.

Chrysto
April 16th, 2020, 20:40
Griogre,

Thanks that helps! As a small business owner, I understand the value of time. I thought that it was just PDF versions of the books. Extrapolating the guides and books into your software is an entirely different matter.

DrakosDJ
April 17th, 2020, 04:27
Is there any way to gain access to the digital version of our physically owned books for use in FG? I don't really want to buy them all again!

No. I've actually bought the books three times (one physical, two digital FG and D&D Beyond). FG is not owned by WotC and they put time/effort into making the digital content so the need to get paid for those efforts.