PDA

View Full Version : Noob question about modules

ZioJS
April 16th, 2020, 19:48
Hello guys, I am a real noob on fantasy ground and I am still learning a lot reading the forum and watching videos on YouTube.

I have a (silly) question about modules loading.

Some expansions comes divided in Game Master module and Player module (I think for example at the 5e Dungeon Master's Guide... it come divided in DM's module and Player's module).

The Player's module is thinked to be "shared with" and "loaded by" players (obviously).

But as DM you have to load both the modules (DM and Player's one) or is enough load the DM's one living the Player's one unloaded (but flagged to be shared).

Thank you for the clarification!
Bye

Griogre
April 16th, 2020, 20:21
Welcome to the forums ZioJS. You are correct. You don't need to load a player module to share it and if you don't need it probably shouldn't as loading massive numbers of modules will could run the the DM computer out of memory.

ZioJS
April 19th, 2020, 19:48
Thank you Griogre!

I still have a little question about Player's and DM's module versions.
But the content of the Player's version is included in the DM's one?

Bye

LordEntrails
April 19th, 2020, 20:21
Thank you Griogre!

I still have a little question about Player's and DM's module versions.
But the content of the Player's version is included in the DM's one?

Bye
Yes, with the exception of Unearthed Arcana.

ZioJS
April 19th, 2020, 21:58
Thanks!

Trenloe
April 19th, 2020, 22:35
Actually, that’s not the thinking for new modules. The current thinking is that data shouldn’t be duplicated across player and GM modules - as it can make linked data not work correctly in future (if a link is to the GM module, for example, and later the player can’t access that module). So, the current developer thinking is to have the complete data spread across player and GM modules, with as little duplication as possible between both. So the GM should open both the GM and player modules to get the full data, and the players open just the player centric module. But, this approach is pretty recent. Best to check the conversion notes in the module to see how the data is organized.

In the end, there’s no "perfect" approach here as each has advantages and disadvantages.

ZioJS
April 20th, 2020, 09:00
Perfect! ;)