PDA

View Full Version : How do I create a warlock NPC so that the spells are added automatically?

spoonhead
April 16th, 2020, 12:57
Hi everyone,

Just trying to create an NPC warlock, and was not sure how the parsing works as their spells and spell slots aren't quite the same as Wizards.

This is what I have written in the Traits area, but it's not creating any spells, nor am i getting any errors in the Chat window.

The whisperer is an 8th-level spellcaster. Its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). It knows the following spells:
Cantrips (at will): chill touch, eldritch blast, mage hand
1st–4th level (2 4th-level slots): animate dead, blight, comprehend languages, detect magic, dispel magic, fear, hold person, mirror image, unseen servant

Also tried:

The whisperer is an 8th-level spellcaster and its spellcasting ability is Charisma (spell save DC 14, +6 to hit with spell attacks). It knows the following spells:
Cantrips (at will): chill touch, eldritch blast, mage hand
4th level (2 slots): animate dead, blight, comprehend languages, detect magic, dispel magic, fear, hold person, mirror image, unseen servant

Any help appreciated

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2020, 15:53
See the last video in this series https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42440-Tutorial-Video-Series

Klandare
April 16th, 2020, 17:59
I watched that episode on Spellcasting NPCs, but how do you work on the part with Warlocks in the fact that all of their spells will be cast at a specific spell level? So some spells might have to be adjusted to have a higher number of dice rolled. From the description in the video, even if you change something in the spell area on the NPC; once you close it and reopen it again, the spells would be reparsed back to their original.

LordEntrails
April 16th, 2020, 18:22
Edit the spell/action after it's parsed/added to the NPC actions list. Same as has to be done for PC warlocks.

Zacchaeus
April 16th, 2020, 18:46
As with any NPC who is casting at a higher level instead of double clicking on the damage in the CT click on the damage line and hold then drag then right click to add more dice and then drop on the target. Or, make a copy of the NPC and manually go through everything and change the damage dice.

Mysteria_Sdrassa
April 16th, 2020, 18:55
Also, I would add, since I am also a bit of a noob here and has had problems with this myself: be absolutely sure you have spellchecked everything.. i have run into this on more than one ocassion with a misspelling or using a semi-colan by accident and causing it to not parse correctly

Klandare
April 16th, 2020, 20:33
Edit the spell/action after it's parsed/added to the NPC actions list. Same as has to be done for PC warlocks.

The way I took it in the video was that when you close the NPC and then reopen it, it would reparse the spells; thus changing anything ones I changed back to the out of the box version of say fireball.

Klandare
April 16th, 2020, 20:37
As with any NPC who is casting at a higher level instead of double clicking on the damage in the CT click on the damage line and hold then drag then right click to add more dice and then drop on the target. Or, make a copy of the NPC and manually go through everything and change the damage dice.

I was hoping to be able to not have to remember to adjust things for upcasting since ALL of the warlock's spells are upcast where applicable. having to remember which spells can be adjusted and then remembering to make that adjustment with right-clicking which in the middle of a fight is much more of a pain compared to making the needed adjustments on the NPC and not having to touch it from there (I made all of those types of needed adjustments on the warlock PC in the game so they just do their attacks and damage and not have to worry about adjustments on the fly - we just have to adjust each time they level up enough to change their default spell level).

Mysteria_Sdrassa
April 16th, 2020, 21:51
yeah.. FG still requires you to do some of the actual work yourself.. so there are some things that do have to be adjusted while playing.. for instance it will not determine whether you are standing within reach of your weapon and say.. sorry.. can't do that, you are out of range... so yes, you do have to make some adjustments on your own as if you were playing a PnP game

LordEntrails
April 17th, 2020, 01:33
The way I took it in the video was that when you close the NPC and then reopen it, it would reparse the spells; thus changing anything ones I changed back to the out of the box version of say fireball.
The first time you open the NPC or add to the CT the spells from the spell casting trait will parse. You can then edit them and those edits will stay. They only get reparsed if you delete the spell actions from the NPC record.

Klandare
April 17th, 2020, 18:00
The first time you open the NPC or add to the CT the spells from the spell casting trait will parse. You can then edit them and those edits will stay. They only get reparsed if you delete the spell actions from the NPC record.

Oh that is great, from the video it had seemed like it would reparse each time you reopened the NPC. So, it only reparses the spells if you delete them from the NPC and then reopen. That is great.

Now to figure out a great spot to drop a warlock in against the party. :ninja: <evil smirk>

Thanks.

LordEntrails
April 17th, 2020, 22:57
Now to figure out a great spot to drop a warlock in against the party. :ninja: <evil smirk>
Everywhere? Whenever you need to add a little fear to the atmosphere?