PDA

View Full Version : Chat Window - Attack Rolls - Big Icons, Fonts, and Color - Great for TV use

valeros
April 16th, 2020, 07:08
This extension allows you to have different icons and fonts and font colors for attack info in the chat window. This is especially nice if you play on a TV and need bigger and more colorful info.

https://i.imgur.com/QXSbxEV.png

To change the icons, simply replace the existing icons with those of your choosing. (The names have to stay exactly the same.)

Also, if you look in the "extension.xml" file, you will see how you can easily change the size and color of the fonts to your desire.

This should work with Rulesets that already include the attack roll icon functionality but I have only tested it with 4E & 5E.

(Note: three of the icons included in the extension were purchased by me. (The other is from FG itself.) If I understand the license correctly, I am allowed to include them in my own product. However, those rights do not allow the removal and use of the icons outside the product. So free feel to replace the icons, but please do not use them elsewhere.)

Thanks to kevininrussia (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?32545-kevininrussia) for the idea and help.

kevininrussia
April 16th, 2020, 07:56
Valeros, you are on fire! Just tested your new extension. Works great! Easy to change the text colors too. This extension is perfect for us as most play on big screen TV's.

Thank you!

Beemanpat
April 16th, 2020, 17:40
Hot dang thats great. I'm away from my computer. Would you know if it would conflict with the BigFonts.ext.

Dax Doomslayer
April 16th, 2020, 21:12
Thank you for this!! I love that it is now obvious!! Nice job.

dellanx
June 23rd, 2020, 04:10
This extension allows you to have different icons and fonts and font colors for attack info in the chat window. This is especially nice if you play on a TV and need bigger and more colorful info.

This is intentionally loaded as a ".zip" instead of a ".ext" because I expect you to change it to suit your needs. Unzip and put the folder in your extensions directory.

To change the icons, simply replace the existing icons with those of your choosing. (The names have to stay exactly the same.)

Also, if you look in the "extension.xml" file, you will see how you can easily change the size and color of the fonts to your desire.

This should work with Rulesets that already include the attack roll icon functionality but I have only tested it with 4E & 5E.

(Note: three of the icons included in the extension were purchased by me. (The other is from FG itself.) If I understand the license correctly, I am allowed to include them in my own product. However, those rights do not allow the removal and use of the icons outside the product. So free feel to replace the icons, but please do not use them elsewhere.)

Thanks to kevininrussia (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/member.php?32545-kevininrussia) for the idea and help.

valeros, Thank you!

Is it possible to change that for Casting, Caster Level Checks and Saving-throws? Success, Failure, Aromatic Success, Automatic Failure?

If you don't have time to do it, mind if I research it?

Is there any guides for naming the variables that the extension will recognize?

Thanks

valeros
June 23rd, 2020, 04:21
Is it possible to change that for Casting, Caster Level Checks and Saving-throws? Success, Failure, Aromatic Success, Automatic Failure?

If you don't have time to do it, mind if I research it?

I do not know off the top of my head about changing the other rolls. And please feel free to change it however you see fit and post as your own, just please do not use those same icons as they are not free. Thanks

dellanx
June 23rd, 2020, 10:06
I do not know off the top of my head about changing the other rolls. And please feel free to change it however you see fit and post as your own, just please do not use those same icons as they are not free. Thanks

valeros, no plans to use the Icons, thanks!

dellanx
June 25th, 2020, 21:51
valeros,

Here is the extension for save font rolls, it seems to work in PFRPG, not sure about other rulesets.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59409-Font-color-replacement-for-Saves-Extension-Done&p=521429#post521429

DragonsDen13
June 26th, 2020, 00:04
As an oldtimer, using a (2) 55" tv screens @ 8-9 feet away, I approve of this extension!

However, when I run my test campaign, I am getting the following ruleset warning:Ruleset Warning: Font (): Windows replaced specified font face (Tahoma SDF) with (Arial)
Ruleset Warning: Font (): Windows replaced specified font face (Tahoma SDF) with (Arial)
Ruleset Warning: Font (): Windows replaced specified font face (Tahoma SDF) with (Arial)

I can only assume this is because I do not have the Tahoma font file in there somewhere. Can anyone confirm that this would be the issue?

kevininrussia
June 26th, 2020, 00:20
As an oldtimer, using a (2) 55" tv screens @ 8-9 feet away, I approve of this extension!

However, when I run my test campaign, I am getting the following ruleset warning:Ruleset Warning: Font (): Windows replaced specified font face (Tahoma SDF) with (Arial)

I can only assume this is because I do not have the Tahoma font file in there somewhere. Can anyone confirm that this would be the issue?

I checked on dellanx extension. The extension is missing graphics/fonts/Arial.ttf. I think the folder structure and font needs to be added to the extension.

Also if you are running both extensions they are probably conflicting with each other.

DragonsDen13
June 30th, 2020, 00:41
Trying to modify this extension to pull in the character token instead of the .png tokens and I can't figure out how to get it to work.

I think it should be possible but I am not sure on how to reference the "linkToken" from the manager_action_attack.lua file onto the extensions.xml file; trying to replace the <icon name="roll_attack_hit" file="roll_attack_hit.png" /> with the character token.

Any help would be appreciated.

valeros
June 30th, 2020, 05:35
Not sure if I understand what you want. Something like this?

https://i.imgur.com/KMEAyqU.jpg

If so, that uses the character portrait (not the character token) for the icon. Just add this code in the extension in the file "scripts/manager_actions_attack_roll_fonts.lua" right before the call to "outputResult"

if (rSource["sType"] == "pc") then
local charsheet = DB.findNode(rSource["sCreatureNode"]);
rMessageGM.icon = "portrait_" .. charsheet.getName() .. "_chat";
rMessagePlayer.icon = "portrait_" .. charsheet.getName() .. "_chat";
end

I cannot guarantee that will work in all rulesets. I tested it with FGC with 4E and 5E rulesets and it worked.

kevininrussia
June 30th, 2020, 06:30
Thanks Valeros! I removed

https://i.imgur.com/jaWu4tw.png

DragonsDen13
June 30th, 2020, 06:41
Thank you Valeros. That is exactly what I was trying to accomplish. During our games, sometimes there is a lot going on and it is easy for an attack roll to get lost in the shuffle.

This is for FGC 5E so it should solve my issue quite nicely.

Edit:

I can say that it did work. Thank you again.

valeros
June 30th, 2020, 07:07
DragonsDen13, actually "outputResult" is also called for damage and saves. So if you don't want the icon overwritten with the character portrait for damage and saves, then nest that code under each of the three sections (i.e., in each of the "if" clauses.)

DragonsDen13
June 30th, 2020, 07:42
Thank you.

I did notice it is doing it for those as well and I think I like it that way; again, because it makes it easier for me to see who is being affected, etc.

I do wish the icons for npc's would show as well but since it is pulling in the icons you added in, it is still easy to see when it is not a PC doing the action.

Learning this stuff is a very slow process; especially for someone who does not speak any of this language. lol.

valeros
June 30th, 2020, 21:23
So you could still put something for the NPC, it would just be static. Two ways I can think of would be to use and existing icon (like the code below) or define a new Icon in the extension that you want to use instead. Below is an example of using the existing "foe" icon.

https://i.imgur.com/3Y7MKBJ.jpg

if (rSource["sType"] == "pc") then
local charsheet = DB.findNode(rSource["sCreatureNode"]);
rMessagePlayer.icon = "portrait_" .. charsheet.getName() .. "_chat";
else
rMessageGM.icon = "ct_faction_foe";
rMessagePlayer.icon = "ct_faction_foe";
end

Obviously what you want is the token image converted to an icon so it can be inserted there dynamically. Sorry, I do not know how to do that. But one of the super smart developers might know of a way. (The only thing I can think of is to dynamically create a new control and assign its icon. But even that is beyond my capabilities.)

darthphoenix95
November 17th, 2020, 03:51
[QUOTE=valeros;496687]

Does this extension work in FGU?

darthphoenix95
November 17th, 2020, 04:03
Valeros,

I might be doing something wrong but the file you have available to DL is the .ext file but FGU isn't finding it after I dragged it into the extensions folder :(

kevininrussia
November 17th, 2020, 04:28
Valeros,

I might be doing something wrong but the file you have available to DL is the .ext file but FGU isn't finding it after I dragged it into the extensions folder :(

Make sure you turn it on:
https://i.imgur.com/KJaFxmh.png

darthphoenix95
November 17th, 2020, 04:33
Make sure you turn it on:
https://i.imgur.com/KJaFxmh.png

I cannot turn it on because it's not available for me :(

kevininrussia
November 17th, 2020, 05:06
You can try the one I am using and see if it shows up.

darthphoenix95
November 17th, 2020, 13:59
yes, this one shows up and it works but I dont see where you can change the images

valeros
November 17th, 2020, 15:36
I posted a new version. I believe it was not showing because of how it was zipped.

To change the images:
unzip the extension (using 7-Zip or rename .ext to .zip first)
remove the extension file (but not the directory just created)
in the directory created, there are four images. replace them with the images you want. the names must match exactly.

mattekure
November 17th, 2020, 18:59
I love the extension. I tweaked kevininrussia's version and added my own graphics, and added an icon for a crit fumble.

https://imgur.com/5YFka6e.jpg

Dax Doomslayer
November 17th, 2020, 21:25
I love this extension. It's so helpful. My aging eyes thank you valeros!!

@mattekure, any chance you'd share your derivative version? That's frickin' awesome!!

mattekure
November 17th, 2020, 21:51
I love this extension. It's so helpful. My aging eyes thank you valeros!!

@mattekure, any chance you'd share your derivative version? That's frickin' awesome!!

absolutely. I am still debating on switching the colors so its the blue die for Crit and the red for fumble.

kevininrussia
November 17th, 2020, 22:24
Dice colors flipped. Images only.

darthphoenix95
November 17th, 2020, 22:28
Dice colors flipped. Images only.

My only thought here is that not all damage results in blood. Is there maybe an image that could show HIT that doesn't look like a massacre? (Not that I don't like it, I love it!) Just a thought! Maybe styles just like the "miss" image but with red text?

kevininrussia
November 17th, 2020, 22:48
Some alternatives.

darthphoenix95
November 17th, 2020, 23:05
Some alternatives.

Ohhh I like both of those! I don't write extensions so idk how it all works... Is it possible to have a different icon for hit depending on weapon or spell, etc?

mattekure
November 17th, 2020, 23:22
Ohhh I like both of those! I don't write extensions so idk how it all works... Is it possible to have a different icon for hit depending on weapon or spell, etc?

not easily

darthphoenix95
November 17th, 2020, 23:24
not easily

in that case I think maybe just the big HIT would work better?

Dax Doomslayer
November 17th, 2020, 23:28
@mattekure, thanks for this!!! Also, I think I agree with your instinct to flip the colors with red being the critical and blue being the fumble for whatever it's worth!

mattekure
November 17th, 2020, 23:34
@mattekure, thanks for this!!! Also, I think I agree with your instinct to flip the colors with red being the critical and blue being the fumble for whatever it's worth!

This is what I settled on. It aligns the color of the icon with the text,

Hit = Red
Crit = Blue
Miss/Fumble = Black

https://imgur.com/WJ3hPkz.jpg

darthphoenix95
November 18th, 2020, 00:50
This is what I settled on. It aligns the color of the icon with the text,

Hit = Red
Crit = Blue
Miss/Fumble = Black

https://imgur.com/WJ3hPkz.jpg

what if HIT was blue and CRIT was red?

Atracious
November 28th, 2020, 21:12
Is there an option to hide these on hidden rolls? I find it useful as GM to sort out the rolls, but I still want the secret rolls secret.

EDIT:
I found a way to manage it. Changed the text colours to all be the same and changed "Chat: Show results to Client" to off.
It still shows rolls, but at least it hides results (except that extra roll to confirm).

Jaegar
May 2nd, 2021, 01:08
Awesome work!

Drowbe
May 2nd, 2021, 06:51
I have been "theming" a bunch of extensions for fun, and adapted this one with some custom images and fonts. Sharing here in case anyone wants to use them.

If anyone has other ideas, I am happy to try them out. I'd love to adapt some of the other chat icons (like "cast")...

Aridhro
May 2nd, 2021, 07:55
Nice!! And looks great in SirMotte's theme

Milmoor
May 2nd, 2021, 09:39
I'm using quite a few extensions which you enhanced. Thanks for the lovely art.

Milmoor
May 2nd, 2021, 17:47
I have been "theming" a bunch of extensions for fun, and adapted this one with some custom images and fonts. Sharing here in case anyone wants to use them.

If anyone has other ideas, I am happy to try them out. I'd love to adapt some of the other chat icons (like "cast")...
I tried it today. The icons are awesome, but the chat is lacking unity. Too many font sizes, it's colours different every time, multiple margins used. I'm not sure what's the cause. It could even be that this was the case before, and this was my first good look at it. It certainly doesn't follow less is more at the moment ;).

Drowbe
May 3rd, 2021, 01:27
OUCH! Kidding... yeah, the fonts are not ready for prime time. Clearly not optimized yet... not done much with chat beyond aligning the font with the icon color. It looks like my little pony threw up on the chat window when you roll them each one after another. I want to test it out in the real world to see what to do with it. My thought is that the chat would mostly be one color until you did an attack... then the color would have meaning. BUT... right now nothing is nailed down. I will check the font size... I didn't mess with it.

For color... what scheme would make sense? All attacks one color (hit or miss) and then crit/fumble is another? That was my original plan...

Also... anyone know the hooks for the other chat icons? (like cast, dammage, etc.)

mattekure
May 3rd, 2021, 01:35
OUCH! Kidding... yeah, the fonts are not ready for prime time. Clearly not optimized yet... not done much with chat beyond aligning the font with the icon color. It looks like my little pony threw up on the chat window when you roll them each one after another. I want to test it out in the real world to see what to do with it. My thought is that the chat would mostly be one color until you did an attack... then the color would have meaning. BUT... right now nothing is nailed down. I will check the font size... I didn't mess with it.

For color... what scheme would make sense? All attacks one color (hit or miss) and then crit/fumble is another? That was my original plan...

Also... anyone know the hooks for the other chat icons? (like cast, dammage, etc.)

The icons used for all of those are defined in the graphics_icons.xml file. they map the name to the specific image files used.

<!-- Rolls -->
<icon name="roll_cast" file="graphics/icons/roll_cast.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack" file="graphics/icons/roll_attack.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_miss" file="graphics/icons/roll_attack_miss.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_hit" file="graphics/icons/roll_attack_hit.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_crit" file="graphics/icons/roll_attack_crit.png" />
<icon name="roll_damage" file="graphics/icons/roll_damage.png" />
<icon name="roll_heal" file="graphics/icons/roll_heal.png" />

<!-- Character list -->
<icon name="charlist_inspiration" file="graphics/icons/charlist_inspiration.png" />

<!-- Powers -->
<icon name="usepower" file="graphics/icons/usepower.png" />
<icon name="spell_cast" file="graphics/icons/spell_cast.png" />
<icon name="spell_damage" file="graphics/icons/spell_damage.png" />
<icon name="spell_heal" file="graphics/icons/spell_heal.png" />
<icon name="spell_effect" file="graphics/icons/spell_effect.png" />

Milmoor
May 3rd, 2021, 18:37

Shall we make it a race? Will you overhaul the chat layout before or after mattekure has redesigned the soundboard?

Kidding aside: both thanks for your contributions to FG. Considering your question: I think the icons already help a lot, but for those visually challenged, coloring in matching lines is a good thing. It would be nice if that was optional. That said, things would be more restful for the eyes if only the exceptions were lighted out.

Drowbe
May 3rd, 2021, 19:15
The icons used for all of those are defined in the graphics_icons.xml file. they map the name to the specific image files used.

<!-- Rolls -->
<icon name="roll_cast" file="graphics/icons/roll_cast.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack" file="graphics/icons/roll_attack.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_miss" file="graphics/icons/roll_attack_miss.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_hit" file="graphics/icons/roll_attack_hit.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_crit" file="graphics/icons/roll_attack_crit.png" />
<icon name="roll_damage" file="graphics/icons/roll_damage.png" />
<icon name="roll_heal" file="graphics/icons/roll_heal.png" />

<!-- Character list -->
<icon name="charlist_inspiration" file="graphics/icons/charlist_inspiration.png" />

<!-- Powers -->
<icon name="usepower" file="graphics/icons/usepower.png" />
<icon name="spell_cast" file="graphics/icons/spell_cast.png" />
<icon name="spell_damage" file="graphics/icons/spell_damage.png" />
<icon name="spell_heal" file="graphics/icons/spell_heal.png" />
<icon name="spell_effect" file="graphics/icons/spell_effect.png" />

Well whatdoyaknow‽ I know what I'll be doing the next week.

--Thomas

MSW
May 3rd, 2021, 20:59
Is it possible (sure it is :-) ) to put also grafics for Saving throws (SUCCESS and FAILURE) into this extension? Thank's a lot.

Drowbe
May 4th, 2021, 04:21
If I stumble upon a way yo do it I will be happy to do so.

Drowbe
May 4th, 2021, 04:28
I created placeholder images and then added code to the XML file (the stuff below "testing")... no joy. I didn't see anything change. I looked at the lua file and it seems to be specific to fonts... with the exception of a "fumble" check that sets the icons.

From the looks of it you can't override these images in the same way... unless the theme I am using is overriding them after I try to re-map them. I'll keep snooping, but I fear this will require I do som text sniffing and then create overrides like in the fumble code. If anyone has better ideas (or the code), let me know. These day I am mostly an image jockey (and sometimes an "idea" guy).

<script name="ActionsManagerAttackRollFonts" file="scripts/manager_actions_attack_roll_fonts.lua" />

<!-- ICONS -->
<icon name="roll_attack_crit" file="roll_attack_crit.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_hit" file="roll_attack_hit.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_miss" file="roll_attack_miss.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack" file="roll_attack.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_fumble" file="roll_attack_fumble.png" />

<!-- TESTING -->

<icon name="roll_cast" file="roll_cast.png" />
<icon name="roll_heal" file="roll_heal.png" />
<icon name="roll_damage" file="roll_damage.png" />

<icon name="usepower" file="usepower.png" />
<icon name="spell_cast" file="spell_cast.png" />
<icon name="spell_damage" file="spell_damage.png" />
<icon name="spell_heal" file="spell_heal.png" />
<icon name="spell_effect" file="spell_effect.png" />

<icon name="charlist_inspiration" file="charlist_inspiration.png" />

Drowbe
May 4th, 2021, 04:40
I created placeholder images and then added code to the XML file (the stuff below "testing")... no joy. I didn't see anything change. I looked at the lua file and it seems to be specific to fonts... with the exception of a "fumble" check that sets the icons.

From the looks of it you can't override these images in the same way... unless the theme I am using is overriding them after I try to re-map them. I'll keep snooping, but I fear this will require I do som text sniffing and then create overrides like in the fumble code. If anyone has better ideas (or the code), let me know. These day I am mostly an image jockey (and sometimes an "idea" guy).

<script name="ActionsManagerAttackRollFonts" file="scripts/manager_actions_attack_roll_fonts.lua" />

<!-- ICONS -->
<icon name="roll_attack_crit" file="roll_attack_crit.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_hit" file="roll_attack_hit.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_miss" file="roll_attack_miss.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack" file="roll_attack.png" />
<icon name="roll_attack_fumble" file="roll_attack_fumble.png" />

<!-- TESTING -->

<icon name="roll_cast" file="roll_cast.png" />
<icon name="roll_heal" file="roll_heal.png" />
<icon name="roll_damage" file="roll_damage.png" />

<icon name="usepower" file="usepower.png" />
<icon name="spell_cast" file="spell_cast.png" />
<icon name="spell_damage" file="spell_damage.png" />
<icon name="spell_heal" file="spell_heal.png" />
<icon name="spell_effect" file="spell_effect.png" />

<icon name="charlist_inspiration" file="charlist_inspiration.png" />

Drowbe
May 4th, 2021, 04:48
... okay, I unloaded the theme and some of the icons showed up (the heart and fancy yellow one with the filename written over it).

This is without the theme...

And this is with the theme loaded...

I'll ping SirMotte to see what's up.

(also I can't for the life of me figure out how to post images here inline... but whatever)

viviolay
May 4th, 2021, 05:44

I was able to override some of these images (see picture below.) I did adjust the load order of the XML file when I put together the extension because I remembered that the GM icon extension got over-rode by the theme if you don't change the load order.

I made this a couple days ago and can package the extension if I can get placeholder images for it: All the images in the picture I used I purchased so cannot distribute to share and I didn't find time to find images with open permissions to include in a copy so didn't post it yet.

https://i.imgur.com/YfbXoGc.png

Drowbe
May 4th, 2021, 05:59
Looks good. If you pull the images, I will just look at the code. It seems I need to play with the load order to get it working the the Hearth theme, which I love. So, worth it.

Garmorn
May 4th, 2021, 12:42
All this looks great! I have already decided to use it before all of you began to add to it. Thanks for the all of the work.

vaughnlannister
May 4th, 2021, 15:29
I was able to override some of these images (see picture below.) I did adjust the load order of the XML file when I put together the extension because I remembered that the GM icon extension got over-rode by the theme if you don't change the load order.

I made this a couple days ago and can package the extension if I can get placeholder images for it: All the images in the picture I used I purchased so cannot distribute to share and I didn't find time to find images with open permissions to include in a copy so didn't post it yet.

Nice! I was wondering if you could share where you bought the tokens :)?

Thank you!

Drowbe
May 5th, 2021, 02:37
So... I am completely re-writing this extension and at some point will spin off a dedicated post in this forum (no plans to charge anything, should stay free). So far here's where I am:

Right now I have most of the core icons designed... but they may or not show up as I am still coding. They roughly align with the 5E-Indicator extension.
I've restructured things to eventually support "themes" or sets if icons. Not sure HOW, but the bones are there.
I have plans to support all of the effects... if I figure out the code. I'll align them with the set I did for the Interactive Portraits extension
You no longer need a separate extension to replace the GM Icon in the chat window... I added that to this extension.
The mapping of the icons has been moved into the "theme" folder... so eventually each theme will have its own. Right now there is one theme, "default" (awesome name, I know).

This basically does everything it used to do and more... plus readiness for expanding the extension. It has a new name... as absurd as I could think of... and should not be run with the old version nor the GM-Icon extension as it replaces that functionality.

Some of them in action...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46348&d=1620175455

The current set... not optimized completely...

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46355&d=1620177008

Until themes are coded, just swap out the icons with what you want. You can also spawn a copy of the the "default" theme, rename it, and point the "include" in "extension.xml" to point to it. That would preserve the default set. Eventually I will include more themes and a way to change them in the "options."

Because not all GM's want to be a skull, I've already included a number of variations in the "_alternates" folder in the "themes" directory.

It goes without saying, but USE THIS EXTENSION AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Let me know how it works out for you and if you have any ideas. Working on both effects and saves.

--Drowbe

Jaegar
May 5th, 2021, 02:58
This is awesome. I would pay for this.

viviolay
May 5th, 2021, 03:35
Nice! I was wondering if you could share where you bought the tokens :)?

Thank you!

Sure. I can’t remember which status icon pack it was from but I got packs from Yuikami and RK Media

Drowbe
May 5th, 2021, 04:06
This is awesome. I would pay for this.

Thanks... you won't have to. The community has helped me so much that I just want to share some love.

... of course I need to get it to do what I want, but eventually...

Thamyor
May 6th, 2021, 16:31
Loved your icons Drowbe, but i'm making a small color change to make it a bit more intuitive, I used the icons on the last session but everytime I saw something in Red it made me think it was a miss.
A pattern like this:
Red > Yellow > Blue > Green
critical miss > miss > hit > critical hit

Weissrolf
May 31st, 2021, 02:28
Thanks for sharing. I changed the font-size from 20 to 21, else the icon would be cut off on top with single-line output (short character names). Also changed fumble to crit_miss for our PF2 group.

Jaegar
June 2nd, 2021, 02:23
Thank you!
Awesome as always!

nephranka
June 2nd, 2021, 14:11
So... I am completely re-writing this extension and at some point will spin off a dedicated post in this forum (no plans to charge anything, should stay free). So far here's where I am:

Right now I have most of the core icons designed... but they may or not show up as I am still coding. They roughly align with the 5E-Indicator extension.
I've restructured things to eventually support "themes" or sets if icons. Not sure HOW, but the bones are there.
I have plans to support all of the effects... if I figure out the code. I'll align them with the set I did for the Interactive Portraits extension
You no longer need a separate extension to replace the GM Icon in the chat window... I added that to this extension.
The mapping of the icons has been moved into the "theme" folder... so eventually each theme will have its own. Right now there is one theme, "default" (awesome name, I know).

This basically does everything it used to do and more... plus readiness for expanding the extension. It has a new name... as absurd as I could think of... and should not be run with the old version nor the GM-Icon extension as it replaces that functionality.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46348&d=1620175455

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=46355&d=1620177008

Until themes are coded, just swap out the icons with what you want. You can also spawn a copy of the the "default" theme, rename it, and point the "include" in "extension.xml" to point to it. That would preserve the default set. Eventually I will include more themes and a way to change them in the "options."

Because not all GM's want to be a skull, I've already included a number of variations in the "_alternates" folder in the "themes" directory.

Let me know how it works out for you and if you have any ideas. Working on both effects and saves.

--Drowbe

Great work! I was wondering if all the other icons are implemented? I am not sure what I should be able to see and what, if anything, is not currently used. Thanks!

Drogo210
June 3rd, 2021, 09:12

--Drowbe

Sounds GREAT!!! Can I suggest differentiating icons between players' rolls and DM rolls. The Crowned Skull works pretty well for DM as background.

Drowbe
June 5th, 2021, 20:41
Great work! I was wondering if all the other icons are implemented? I am not sure what I should be able to see and what, if anything, is not currently used. Thanks!

I am still working on getting them all to fire... quite a few factors get in the way of mapping an icon to a chat action. I have some time to put into this over the next few weeks and will post an update asap.

--Thomas

Drowbe
June 5th, 2021, 20:41
Sounds GREAT!!! Can I suggest differentiating icons between players' rolls and DM rolls. The Crowned Skull works pretty well for DM as background.

Good idea. Once I get all the icon states to fire I'll look into this.

SmackDaddy
June 10th, 2021, 11:52
Loved your icons Drowbe, but i'm making a small color change to make it a bit more intuitive, I used the icons on the last session but everytime I saw something in Red it made me think it was a miss.
A pattern like this:
Red > Yellow > Blue > Green
critical miss > miss > hit > critical hit

How does one do this? (make a color change within the extension) -- I would tend to agree with this suggested color palette

Only recently found this extension - keep up the great work OP!

vaughnlannister
June 10th, 2021, 12:59
How does one do this? (make a color change within the extension) -- I would tend to agree with this suggested color palette

Only recently found this extension - keep up the great work OP!

Hey, with these steps:

download the extension --> change ext. to zip --> unzip file --> open the extension file --> go to folder themes --> go to folder default --> open theme_settings.xml using notepad or another application.

Then change the value indicated here below with a red underline.
Replace it with a new colour value, you choose and pick the new colour value you'd like here: https://htmlcolorcodes.com

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47460&stc=1&d=1623326444

Drowbe
June 10th, 2021, 17:01
Hey, with these steps:

download the extension --> change ext. to zip --> unzip file --> open the extension file --> go to folder themes --> go to folder default --> open theme_settings.xml using notepad or another application.

Replace it with a new colour value, you choose and pick the new colour value you'd like here: https://htmlcolorcodes.com

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47460&stc=1&d=1623326444

Yup! Those are the settings. That will change the font color. To change the icon colors, you'll need to replace the images. The default colors I used were really optimized for SirMotte's hearth theme.

Working on this extension this week... I will tweak a bit for clarity. Will post what I come up with.

nephranka
June 10th, 2021, 23:16
Yup! Those are the settings. That will change the font color. To change the icon colors, you'll need to replace the images. The default colors I used were really optimized for SirMotte's hearth theme.

Working on this extension this week... I will tweak a bit for clarity. Will post what I come up with.

Looking forward to it. My players really like the icons so we are definitely using this ext.

Thamyor
June 10th, 2021, 23:34
Hey, with these steps:

I did that for the fonts and the icons I changed the color using paint.net

vaughnlannister
June 11th, 2021, 18:49

Great look forward to it too :)!!!

Farnaby
June 12th, 2021, 06:18
I'm running PF2 and decided to try it out and it works beautifully apart from one minor irritant: the critical miss is not working.

I then changed the text match from:

if string.match(rMessageGM.text, "%[AUTOMATIC MISS%]") then
to

if string.match(rMessageGM.text, "%[CRITICAL MISS%]") then
which I copied directly from the chat window, and this is the result:

What am I missing?

vaughnlannister
June 12th, 2021, 07:33
I'm running PF2 and decided to try it out and it works beautifully apart from one minor irritant: the critical miss is not working.

I then changed the text match from:

to

which I copied directly from the chat window, and this is the result:

What am I missing?

Your on the right track, I think that for the ruleset your using, "Automatic Miss", may be named differently, though I know very little about the ins and outs of if this. You could send a DM to celestian he makes many extension for 2E he would have a better answer for your question, it looks like something small to fix?

Good luck!

Farnaby
June 12th, 2021, 08:31
Your on the right track, I think that for the ruleset your using, "Automatic Miss", may be named differently, though I know very little about the ins and outs of if this. You could send a DM to celestian he makes many extension for 2E he would have a better answer for your question, it looks like something small to fix?

Good luck!

Which is why I changed it into CRITICAL MISS as I stated in my original post.

vaughnlannister
June 12th, 2021, 09:05
Which is why I changed it into CRITICAL MISS as I stated in my original post.

Hey, I think I've figured out why it isn't working, the string match, as it is now is set up to recognise the GM text in 5e.

In 5e
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47520&stc=1&d=1623485404

In 2e
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47521&stc=1&d=1623485416

I think you have to slightly tweak the "%[AUTOMATIC MISS%]" part to also match the DEF EFFECTS

The following two links should be helpful matching it:

https://www.lua.org/manual/5.2/manual.html#6.4.1
https://lua-users.org/wiki/PatternsTutorial

Though I'm not quite sure.

Good Luck!

Weissrolf
June 12th, 2021, 09:09
- edited - see my next post

vaughnlannister
June 12th, 2021, 09:13
Use [CRITICAL MISS] instead of [CRITICAL MISS%]

Worth a go :) !

Weissrolf
June 12th, 2021, 09:19
-double post-

Weissrolf
June 12th, 2021, 09:21
I just tried both (with and without %) and they both work for me.

https://i.imgur.com/XDJb7p7.png

But I just remembered that I edited the extension before to make it work in PF2, but forgot which parts I changed. So here is the full block:

-- it is a fumble... reset things to a fumble
rMessageGM.icon = "roll_attack_crit_miss";
rMessagePlayer.icon = "roll_attack_crit_miss";
rMessageGM.font = "attack_roll_crit_miss_msgfont";
rMessagePlayer.font = "attack_roll_crit_miss_msgfont";
end

vaughnlannister
June 12th, 2021, 09:27
Ah great :) ! Now also people in 2e can enjoy the theme.

Original Code: (just for reference, for people wanting to compare it to the changes you made :) !

rMessageGM.icon = "roll_attack_fumble";
rMessagePlayer.icon = "roll_attack_fumble";
rMessageGM.font = "attack_roll_fumble_msgfont";
rMessagePlayer.font = "attack_roll_fumble_msgfont";

Farnaby
June 12th, 2021, 11:06
I just tried both (with and without %) and they both work for me.

https://i.imgur.com/XDJb7p7.png

But I just remembered that I edited the extension before to make it work in PF2, but forgot which parts I changed. So here is the full block:

rMessageGM.font = "attack_roll_crit_miss_msgfont";
rMessagePlayer.font = "attack_roll_crit_miss_msgfont";
end

I see you changed the icon and font. Could you paste your extension.xml so I can see what you did there?
Or just upload your version of the extension.

Weissrolf
June 12th, 2021, 12:04
Extension.xml was not changed. The change in icon/font names reflect the names used by the PF2 ruleset. The font change isn't correct, though, so I have to take another look at it (critical miss uses a different font than the rest now). I did not care to fix that yet.

Weissrolf
June 12th, 2021, 12:45
I think the font difference for me is just my theme not applying to the critical miss font?! So I might have to fix that in the theme instead.

https://i.imgur.com/HhV8E0n.png

vaughnlannister
June 12th, 2021, 13:19
Hey, with these steps:

I think you also need to edit the critical miss name given here in the theme_settings.xml, like you made in the other xml for critical miss?

Farnaby
June 13th, 2021, 13:25
Okay, I've been staring at this for what seems like forever.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong here:

The theme_settings.xml assigns values to the variables that are used in the configurator.lua
Depending on the results determined in configurator.lua, FGU message icons and fonts are assigned the variables from theme_settings.xml
The variable names used in theme_settings.xml should have no influence on the FGU icons and fonts.
If, instead of roll_attack_hit.png, I used donald_duck.png it should work.

So looking at both files, I have:

theme_settings.xml
<icon name="roll_attack_crit_fumble" file="themes/default/roll_attack_fumble.png" />

configurator.lua
rMessageGM.icon = "roll_attack_fumble";
rMessagePlayer.icon = "roll_attack_fumble";

This does not work in the PFRPG2 ruleset as it still uses the default icon, but if I change the fumble to crit_miss like so:

theme_settings.xml
<icon name="roll_attack_crit_miss" file="themes/default/roll_attack_fumble.png" />

configurator.lua

it works and the new icon appears correctly in the chat window.

Why does it matter???? I'm trying to wrap my head around it and it's though I've drunk a pangalactic gargleblaster.....
Someone please put me out of my misery.

ironsplitter
June 27th, 2021, 00:17
Thanks Drowbe. It's fantastic.

Zygmunt Molotch
July 25th, 2021, 06:46
are you thinking of hosting it on Forge?

Drowbe
July 28th, 2021, 18:59
I've been away on a family road trip for the last 6 weeks... coming back up to speed. Didn't get a chance to work on the extension during the trip (too busy seeing the US), and haven't wrapped my head around forge yet. Can you post free extensions there?

Drogo210
July 28th, 2021, 19:03
Sure you can. Hope u enjoyed the trip

SmackDaddy
October 23rd, 2021, 00:13
I've been away on a family road trip for the last 6 weeks... coming back up to speed. Didn't get a chance to work on the extension during the trip (too busy seeing the US), and haven't wrapped my head around forge yet. Can you post free extensions there?

Any chance of getting this into the Forge? Pretty Please? :)

Drowbe
October 23rd, 2021, 00:15
Absolutely. I applied to submit. When I hear back I will drop it in. I’ll also be creating a dedicated forum post for it.

—Thomas

SmackDaddy
October 23rd, 2021, 00:28
Absolutely. I applied to submit. When I hear back I will drop it in. I’ll also be creating a dedicated forum post for it.

—Thomas

That is awesome to hear. Has any progress been made since you originally spoke of possible adding configurable options (i.e. theme or icon modification)? As someone who would prefer my own custom DM icon I use, I'd prefer it over the skull (personal pref.)

Dax Doomslayer
October 23rd, 2021, 02:43
I love this extension. One other thought is an option to change the font size.

plap3014
November 28th, 2021, 22:07
hi,

when i apply an effect, the image is not showing as per the attack,damage and heal, you know why?

Kelrugem
November 29th, 2021, 21:39
hi,

when i apply an effect, the image is not showing as per the attack,damage and heal, you know why?

The extension got not updated for a while, which may be why :) However, it may be a ruleset issue, your screenshot suggests that you are not playing D&D 5e?

Trenloe
November 29th, 2021, 21:51
hi,

Which ruleset are you using?
Which of the many extensions available in this ruleset are you using?

plap3014
November 29th, 2021, 22:50
Which ruleset are you using?
Which of the many extensions available in this ruleset are you using?

it is 5e ruleset. and i have a lot of extension loaded.

Trenloe
November 29th, 2021, 23:38
it is 5e ruleset. and i have a lot of extension loaded.
I was wondering about that - because the graphics you show in your screenshot don't appear to be related to the extensions in this thread.

The extensions in this thread provide graphics for the results of an attack action, they don't provide graphics for the damage, heal or effect that you show in your screenshot. I suggest you check through the extensions you're using and work out which one is providing those graphics, then try that extension only (no other extensions or themes) in a test campaign to see if there is an issue with just that extension and not a clash with another extension you're using. If the extension on its own is missing the graphics then you can address that with the developer of the relevant extension.

Dax Doomslayer
November 30th, 2021, 01:56
I'm believe that those graphics are from "Drowbe's Chat Aesthetics Resplendent Configurator" extension...

plap3014
November 30th, 2021, 02:09
I'm believe that those graphics are from "Drowbe's Chat Aesthetics Resplendent Configurator" extension...

Yes it is...

plap3014
November 30th, 2021, 02:10

—Thomas

Can you check post 95? i have some issue with some image.

regards

nephranka
November 30th, 2021, 10:40
hi,

As I understand it, Drowbe's Chat Aesthetics Resplendent Configurator has not implemented anything beyond what you can currently see. Not sure what the status is. See post #65.

Drowbe
February 23rd, 2022, 00:19
I'm just now picking this back up and getting it up on Forge. I think the issue is the load order. They way extension cascade can overwrite the images. I *think* using 1501 might work. Looking into it.

--Thomas

Drowbe
February 23rd, 2022, 00:21
As I understand it, Drowbe's Chat Aesthetics Resplendent Configurator has not implemented anything beyond what you can currently see. Not sure what the status is. See post #65.

The status is currently "coming back from the dead"... firing up the code and getting it all worked out. How's that for a delayed response.

nephranka
February 23rd, 2022, 00:42
The status is currently "coming back from the dead"... firing up the code and getting it all worked out. How's that for a delayed response.

Suitably timed? :)

ghen
February 25th, 2022, 00:10
Are there triggers for saving throws too?

Drowbe
February 25th, 2022, 02:24
Are there triggers for saving throws too?

Images for them, yes… as well as effects. However, I’ve yet to track down the names if the icons in FG I need to override.

Last night I figured out how to add an options to the options panel so you can choose a “theme”… but I am still working out the code to re-map the icons after FG has already loaded. Currently it is defined in a “themes.xml” file… which works great if you only want to have a single theme. It loads right up and overrides the default icons. But, once you go into options and choose a new theme, I need to find a way to re-map all of the icons to the new set. This bit is maddening because it has to be done via LUA and is not just as easy as loading a new XML file.

If anyone knows how to do this:

<icon name="roll_attack_hit" file="themes/default/roll_attack_hit.png" />

…in LUA, please let me know.

The closest I’ve come is:

window.roll_attack_hit.setIcons("../themes/hex/roll_attack.png");

… which isn’t quite right. I suppose I will need to actually learn LUA… sigh.

—Thomas

Trenloe
February 25th, 2022, 15:41
If anyone knows how to do this:

<icon name="roll_attack_hit" file="themes/default/roll_attack_hit.png" />

…in LUA, please let me know.
You can't, that's loaded at runtime.

As you've found, you can change the icons on a control basis via LUA, but you can't change the base <icon> resource via LUA.

Drowbe
February 26th, 2022, 08:29
You can't, that's loaded at runtime.

As you've found, you can change the icons on a control basis via LUA, but you can't change the base <icon> resource via LUA.

Yeah. I started this little adventure just wanting to swap out some icons and fonts. Did that. Then I got this crazy idea that I could pull together several different themes and configurations letting people customize a bit for their tastes... and that is where it has all gone wrong. heh. I'll figure out some path forward, but I figure I should post the updates I've made thus far. I have two themes and have cleaned up some of the code.

I'll start a new thread and put it on Forge.

Best, --Thomas

Drowbe
February 26th, 2022, 09:26
I've started a new thread for my evolution of this extension here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72766-Chat-Aesthetics-Configurator&p=641645#post641645

I will add the forge link there shortly.

Thank you ALL for your support and kind words. I am excited to see where this beast goes.

--Thomas

Trenloe
February 26th, 2022, 13:09
Yeah. I started this little adventure just wanting to swap out some icons and fonts. Did that. Then I got this crazy idea that I could pull together several different themes and configurations letting people customize a bit for their tastes... and that is where it has all gone wrong. heh.
I hear you! I'm forever having little ideas that end up down a big rabbit hole and getting lost in the coding warren.

Drowbe
February 27th, 2022, 00:15
As promised, I've cleaned some things up, put the extension on Forge, and created a new forum link. Apologies for how long it took.

here is the FORGE store link:

https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/523/view

And here is the new forum thread:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72766-Chat-Aesthetics-Configurator&p=641645#pos

The ideas I have for this little extension far outweigh my abilities to code them, so be patient with me.

--Thomas