PDA

View Full Version : Taking a few days off from being around but I need your help!

MadBeardMan
April 15th, 2020, 23:55
Folks,

Taking a few days off from all FG development because I've been stuck at home for almost a month and almost every night I've been coding (and boy I love it), so going to watch some rubbish TV and stuff, but!

Started running a new game of Traveller and found Char Gen still a bit basic, so going to work on bringing some of those updates forward.

How am I going to do that?

Plans! I'll take the few days off to plan the code.

Off the top of my head I want to add support for Careers and dropping them onto a character sheet and then be prompted for the assignment, and then it auto populate the service skills on 1st term.

But what else do people want to see about creating characters, all comments welcome and let's get them done, this will be a special coding session as a thanks to all the awesome people playing Traveller on FG and supporting the fourms.

Cheers,
MBM

alfarobl
April 16th, 2020, 00:06
I found this worksheet really useful maybe you can take some ideas from it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bwRZomMWomt8J8SOjgvxCEfY1RRVTjy7/view

backwardoracle
April 17th, 2020, 11:36
I use rpg suite to create characters, then just copypaste over into FG, it flows really nicely.

https://rpgsuite.com/

MadBeardMan
April 18th, 2020, 12:55
Afternoon All,

Been very quiet for me sat at home, never watched some many TV programs. I'm far sighting so can see the TV without issue, but a PC screen, no chance without my glasses. My better half tells me the issue with my ear has healed up, so back on the coding train this weekend.

Regarding char creation, doesn't seem too much people want which is ok, I'll focus back on all the other things I've got going on.

Cheers,
MBM

backwardoracle
April 18th, 2020, 13:31
:) excellent news, as you say, there is much more important things to get sorted.

esmdev
April 18th, 2020, 16:14
So I was thinking of a good way to make character generation more functional given how things work in FG. It took me awhile and of course the workload would be MASSIVE.

Rolling characteristics seems fine given the number of options presented in core and companion.

For background skills you could use a background list with just default that could be dragged in and present a box with the available skills that could be checked then auto add the skills. Entries could be added to the background list for people who want to have a different array of background

Race could function much like they do in the D&D line. You drag a race over and the different modifiers are added/subtracted from characteristics, skills or features also applied to the appropriate locations. Some of the races might need some sort of effect which fall in line with the effects project.

Careers could use the class list. You drag a career into the career field and it runs through the career resolution for that term. Each subsequent term would just be another drag and drop. Pre-career could probably be put here using a pull down like you did in NPC to determine type.

The advantage of doing a structured setup like this is scalability as new things come out. Companion added a race, two careers and several pre-career options. A race book is coming. Eventually more will likely come along. This sets up to add them quickly while also making it easier for the users to add custom content.

Just some thoughts.

MadBeardMan
April 18th, 2020, 16:58
Hi Esmdev,

The v1.1.0 had a nice little addition to it, backgrounds. Go drag a background to a new character, say Asteroid, you should get a nice prompt asking which skill you want to pick. If there's no prompt the skill is automatically added.

It was a tester for me, see how the 'prompt' works. It's very clunky but I can see it being very useful. For Races, the Characteristic Modifiers are already in place.

Now careers, it's easy enough for me to drop all first career term skills in, with each new term it's down to a roll, and I can't plug the result of that roll into updating the character.

Cheers,
MBM

esmdev
April 18th, 2020, 17:31
I was looking but background doesn't appear to be available.

MadBeardMan
April 18th, 2020, 17:50
I was looking but background doesn't appear to be available.

You are correct, it was in 1E but I did the skill prompting work in WOiN not Traveller, my bad.

I know how it works though, the prompting of things.

Apologies!