PDA

View Full Version : Refund if purchased on steam

ChefboyArdy
April 15th, 2020, 17:57
I am thinking of purchasing Fantasy Grounds and was wondering if I purchase it on steam will I be able to refund after 30 days directly from fantasy grounds? Also, I didn't want to get the FGU because it wasn't on steam and doesn't have linux release, also i don't know if there are currently any major issues? Can people in the know please advise on a smart purchase option.

Imagix
April 15th, 2020, 18:12
I suspect, no. Steam has their own refund policies. Remember, Steam probably (and I only say "probably" since I don't sell anything on Steam, and thus don't actually have direct knowledge) gets a cut of all purchases done on their platform. That would not be fair to SmiteWorks to have to refund that when they didn't get the $$$ in the first place.

I bought directly from SmiteWorks, and have both FGC and FGU. It (FGU) is working for all the uses I'm asking from it. (Also waiting for a Linux native version.. but I can use OS X and Windows in the meantime)

LordEntrails
April 15th, 2020, 18:19
Steam refund policy is 2 hours of use and must be requested in 7/14 days. Full policy here; https://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/

Speculi
April 15th, 2020, 18:21
You can get the same version from SmiteWorks directly as you would currently get from Steam: Fantasy Ground Classic

If you still want to purchase through Steam for whatever reason (possibly better local pricing for example):
As far as I know Steam lets you get a refund if your purchase was less than 14 days ago AND you have less than 2 hours of playtime for that title. So take this with a grain of salt, not sure if I had to refund anything even once yet... you might be able to buy on Steam, and either just download the installer directly from the website, or from Steam but don't start the game trough Steam, so it doesn't add to your playtime.

ChefboyArdy
April 15th, 2020, 18:25
Thanks guys, aware of steam policy but considering the software I wasn't sure if they had worked out a way for some one to refund after 30 days from steam. Kinda sad they didn't think about that. I will probably try FGU if I can get ethernet connection to work on my laptop.

LordEntrails
April 15th, 2020, 18:30
As Imagix said, Steam takes a 30% cut from the price when purchased through them and only passes on the remaining 70% to SmiteWorks, so it would not be fair for SmiteWorks to refund 100%.

And its not fair for Steam to allow it hundreds or thousands of suppliers to each have their own refund policy, that would be a nightmare and expensive to administer for them and would cause all sorts of confusion for their users. (Game A has this policy but game B doesn't!)

Imagix
April 15th, 2020, 18:33
Come to think of it... that would mean that SmiteWorks really gets raked over the coals in Steam purchases... it's cheaper to start with in foreign markets _and_ they have to give up 30% ....

Trenloe
April 15th, 2020, 18:45
Come to think of it... that would mean that SmiteWorks really gets raked over the coals in Steam purchases... it's cheaper to start with in foreign markets _and_ they have to give up 30% ....
Yep - SmiteWorks and the hard working community product developers get raked.

Nylanfs
April 15th, 2020, 19:02
Note, you can run it WITHOUT running it through the steam overlay and I don't believe it will count the hours used. Alternately, you can just download the demo and play with it so get a feel for it.

ChefboyArdy
April 15th, 2020, 19:27
Yep - SmiteWorks and the hard working community product developers get raked.

Not if the larger market means more money overall.

calexus
April 16th, 2020, 15:35
You can get the same version from SmiteWorks directly as you would currently get from Steam: Fantasy Ground Classic

If you still want to purchase through Steam for whatever reason (possibly better local pricing for example):
As far as I know Steam lets you get a refund if your purchase was less than 14 days ago AND you have less than 2 hours of playtime for that title. So take this with a grain of salt, not sure if I had to refund anything even once yet... you might be able to buy on Steam, and either just download the installer directly from the website, or from Steam but don't start the game trough Steam, so it doesn't add to your playtime.

I can attest to Steam not counting time if you don't launch FG directly through their launcher. My group has each logged about 150-200 hours on FG, I'm the DM of their sessions and my game time is sat on 1 hour. The only benefit to running FG through Steam is to save yourself having to find the shortcut, beyond that there's no benefit to running it through their launcher that I can see