PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help in creating Tunnels and Trolls ruleset

Dalton Calford
April 15th, 2020, 16:28
Hi Everyone,

I am new to lua, having only used FG as a GM/Player

I am very familiar with Tunnels and Trolls and I am hitting some walls in reading the lua example code and would love to speak with someone who understands FG and lua so that I can create the system.

Tunnels and Trolls Mechanics are summarized below

Die Mechanics

Tunnels and Trolls only uses D6

TARO (Triples add and roll over: Exploding Triples)
Taro is mostly used during character creation.
Roll 3D6, get a total, if the dice where 3 of a kind, mark the result as special and roll again, adding the new result to the current total. Repeat until triples are no longer rolled.
The final total and if it is special or not is what is returned.

DARO (Doubles add and roll over : Exploding Doubles)
Daro is the game mechanic used for skills/saving throws etc.
It is generally called with a die modifier equal to the passed attribute ie DARO (STR)
Roll 2D6,
if a '1' and a '2' was the first roll, return a fumble
get a total of the dice, if the dice 2 of a kind, re-roll, get a total and add it to the running total and repeat until doubles are no longer rolled
Return the Running Total (this is experience points) and The running total + passed die Modifier (this is the applied result).
So at a minimum, you will get two results (experience and die result). The Experience points go onto the player who made the roll.

Combat Roll
This is the most complex mechanic of the game.
You need a dice tower type area with two sections, that has a "resolve" button, lets call that the 'combat tower' for the sake of discussion.
For each combat you have two sides "A" and "B"
Side "A" rolls their dice into one side of the combat tower, which can also include die modifiers. This could be multiple characters
Side "B" rolls their dice into the other side of the combat tower which can also include die modifiers. This could be multiple characters
Pressing the resolve button, gets a total for Side A including modifiers and a total for Side B including modifiers. It also gets a count of the all the natural '6' rolled (this is called spite).
It then compares the two side's totals, marking the side with the highest total as the winner of that combat round.
The loosing side takes damage based upon the difference between the two totals.
Spite has different uses depending upon game options used.

Thanks for your help!

esmdev
April 15th, 2020, 18:04
While I cannot be much assistance in creating stuff I think the T&T rolls are already available in MoreCore.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset

Dalton Calford
April 15th, 2020, 18:33
While I cannot be much assistance in creating stuff I think the T&T rolls are already available in MoreCore.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset

Although they are there in basic form (found them a few days ago), they do not support everything, for example, the combat roll does not support SPITE (which started with 7th edition) nor does it support TARO or returning experience etc.,

Over the years, TnT has had 9 official (1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 5th expanded, 30th Anniversary (7th), 7.5 and Deluxe TnT) and a quite a few unofficial versions of 6th edition.
Also, the game mechanics are also used in Monsters!Monsters! and MS&PE (Mercenaries, Spies and Private Eyes) along with a variety of 3rd party game systems.

I need to know how to return a table from a function in a way that FG knows it as a die roll.

If I can get that down, I can offer the various different mechanics as options for the GM to use or ignore.

I am not looking for someone to do the programming, just a resource who I can bounce ideas off of and find out best practises.

esmdev
April 15th, 2020, 18:36
Ah, was not aware. Last time I played T&T was the 80s. :)

superteddy57
April 15th, 2020, 20:17
You could always approach your project as an extension to MoreCore and work slowly to a full conversion of MoreCore to the ruleset you are wishing to setup. This will build over time into a full blown ruleset. You may also just ask your questions related to the walls you are running into as well. There are a large amount of knowledgeable community members that frequent here.

Dalton Calford
April 15th, 2020, 21:17
You could always approach your project as an extension to MoreCore and work slowly to a full conversion of MoreCore to the ruleset you are wishing to setup. This will build over time into a full blown ruleset. You may also just ask your questions related to the walls you are running into as well. There are a large amount of knowledgeable community members that frequent here.

I would love to, but as I am just starting out with the language, environment and this particular community, it would be great if I had a pointer to the appropriate forums/threads/resources/coding standards/repositories/etc

superteddy57
April 15th, 2020, 23:04
A great place to start is the CoreRPG forums as a whole and the MoreCore sticky on the top.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47382-MoreCore-Info

Has a ton of links to various other extensions and videos on getting your feet wet with the ruleset from a developer side of things.