PDA

View Full Version : List of Traveller 2e ruleset features before purchasing

Valyar
April 15th, 2020, 10:45
I am considering to order the remaining of Traveller 2e core books from Mongoose, after Seth Skorkowski managed to inspire me to re-open the dusty 2e rulebook I have. Having FG ruleset is excellent during times of isolation. But, I have problem: I find the ruleset's price steep and without knowing what features are available such as level of automation and etc., it is hard to do informative purchase. :)

There is no information in the Wiki pages for this ruleset, therefore I ask here. The To-do list is definitely not helping :)

What do I get for 50 bucks?

backwardoracle
April 15th, 2020, 12:38
well its great, MBM has done a superb job, you can run games quite comfortably as is, it will never have the huge support & investment 5E has (shame). However, yes there are a few things that need doing, some are very minor cosmetic changes, to the (upcoming) Starship combat (a big change), but which can be done in the current version if you really need it. If your an experienced Traveller GM you should have very little problems as is. If your not theres a wealth of help on this forum.

Is it worth it? hell yeah!! my players are having great fun & I'm planning a second campaign for another group.

If theres something specific, you need to know just ask away.

Valyar
April 15th, 2020, 12:46
Thanks, good start of the conversation. :)

Is the character creation process assisted, as in the D&D and Pathfinder rulesets? This very entertaining activity ( i really enjoy this part!:) is more complex and takes more time than in the aforementioned systems and I know that some players will not enjoy the manual work.
What is the level of automation in the combat tracker?
How easy is to have battle from the CT only from GM side?
How space/vehicle combat is supported?
What are the details of the data related to ships/vehicles/weapons and what degree is automated.

esmdev
April 15th, 2020, 13:29
Hi.

1. All of the tables for character generation can be rolled. Various table DMs can be entered into the modifier window (bottom left) on the player side. The output is to the chat window. Data must be added to the character sheet manually but skills and items are drag and drop.

2. The combat tracker flows pretty well. It tracks damage to each characteristic separately. It will automatically pick the attribute order based on options settings.

3. NPC combat information (attack/damage) is integrated directly into the combat tracker. Non-combat skills require opening the individual NPC sheet.

4. Space combat is not supported at this time. MGT1/2 were originally supposed to use the same core as the Starfinder combat system but it took forever to implement due to logistical problems with their programmer. Space combat has been pushed back to the High Guard release which is currently under construction and is the next release after CSC which is imminent.

5 The ability to input basic ship and vehicle information into the campaign has recently been added. You can't do anything with it other than see the stats of your ship but it's the first building block towards ship use.

In addition.

In character combat the ruleset calculates effects and applies to damage rolls, it also calculates single-layer armor against the damage (layered armor is still pending) and has every damage type that we could find in any of the MGT1/2 books.

For general skills you can select a typical characteristic that is most likely to be used. If the test calls for a different characteristic modifier you can just click to appropriate characteristic override on the desktop and it will use the appropriate modifier.

Entering NPCs is relatively straightforward. You can use a dropdown to choose between animal, humanoid, robot and other.

Psionics is fully implemented per the main book and tracks psi-strength usage.

In preparation for the release of CSC, most of the current work has been to make sure that most equipment that needs to have some level of automation has it.

I'm mostly just typing this off the top of my head. I probably missed some things.

All in all, I find that the ruleset makes playing Traveller online a whole lot easier. MBM does a good job of supporting and advancing the ruleset.

Also, if you get MGT1 and MGT2 you basically get MGT1 for free so it's worth it. In checkout it will subtract the entire cost of MGT1 so I think it's best to get both to increase the overall value.

Valyar
April 15th, 2020, 17:02
Thank you for the great answer, esmdev. What do you mean with this MGT1 and MGT2 products? I am not sure I getting this. I buy MGT1 and then I buy MGT2?

What is the development of this ruleset, how often things are pushed, is there some roadmap that can be seen, as I am a bit cautious now with rulesets being published and development reduced to a halt. :)

esmdev
April 15th, 2020, 17:10
Thank you for the great answer, esmdev. What do you mean with this MGT1 and MGT2 products? I am not sure I getting this. I buy MGT1 and then I buy MGT2?

What is the development of this ruleset, how often things are pushed, is there some roadmap that can be seen, as I am a bit cautious now with rulesets being published and development reduced to a halt. :)

If you buy MGT1 and MGT2 then MGT1 is effectively free since the cost of MGT1 is deducted from the cost of MGT2 (thought you still end up paying the same price as if you just bought MGT2 by itself).

MGT1 development is basically on hold as Mongoose wants MBM to focus on MGT2. Despite that periodic updates slip into MGT1.

MGT2 has been in fairly constant development since it was released. There have been a few hiccups for personal reasons or because of major projects (the developer also supports WOIN and Vampires 5e) but in general the MGT2 ruleset has vastly improved in functionality since launch and continues to do so. Generally the updates are based around a theme. The theme for the 1.0 releases was mostly around combat, characters, NPCs and worlds. 1.1 is revolving around equipment and gear. 1.2 has been designated as starships and 1.3 will be around options (like the Traveller Companion).

Meanwhile outside the Core Rules the modules are coming out here and there and Bowman Reaches has also been released.

alfarobl
April 15th, 2020, 17:48
It should be noted that Fantasy Grounds Store has a: 30 day money-back guarantee (refund) by emailing [email protected]

So if you find that the product is not up to your liking and can explain why it doesn't work for you it should be easy to get a refund after you try it. I had a problem with a non working module or very old that I did not want after testing it and they were really understanding and got my money back. So best option for you could be just try it!

Just don't buy it at Steam if you are not sure as refund is different there.

Valyar
April 16th, 2020, 07:24
Yes, I know about the refund, already used it for another product, unfortunately. I can buy right away and then ask for refund, but this is causing unnecessary work for SW and myself. :) Better to research first and then do the purchase... makes more sense to me. Maybe I am just old and like to do things this way. :)

backwardoracle
April 16th, 2020, 16:22
:) I can understand that, get people opinions then decide, check it out for yourself, to see if it matches up with your expectations.

I can say though there will a fair amount of support over the coming year for MGT2

LordNanoc
April 16th, 2020, 17:41
Thing is, that if something you want is missing, you can always write about it here. MadBeardMan is very active in this forum and actively asks us "what do you want" every time before doing the next update for the ruleset.
If you buy MGT2 now, it doesn't stay the way it is. It is still growing, developing and new, wonderful things are added with every update. :)
AND you got a lot of the beautiful adventure modules, that Mongoose produces atm. and they are very cheap to buy.

Would be nice to have another Traveller in our midst! :)

Valyar
April 17th, 2020, 16:19
Thank you for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I buy the ruleset once the book arrive and I am ready to start a Traveller game. :)

esmdev
April 17th, 2020, 17:34
Thank you for the feedback guys, I really appreciate it. I buy the ruleset once the book arrive and I am ready to start a Traveller game. :)

Oh, I guess I should have mentioned the core rulebook is also contained in the ruleset. It is only available in FG but it is there. For some reason I thought you already had the book.

Valyar
April 17th, 2020, 20:41
Oh, I guess I should have mentioned the core rulebook is also contained in the ruleset. It is only available in FG but it is there. For some reason I thought you already had the book.
I have the Core Rulebook, but I plan to purchase the other from the core set :) I.e. to get the whole collection. Getting the campaigns & adventures is no go as the price is super steep, no idea why MOngoose are keeping such high prices when the print quality and size is not much different than Modiphius.

By the way - is there setting book for Traveller 2e? I know that Third Imperium is the setting but where I can get setting information that I can use for my own games? All 2e books seems part of it, there is no dedicated book for the setting itself.

alfarobl
April 17th, 2020, 20:52
You have two that are focused on the setting: Behind the Claw (Spinward Marches) and The Great Rift. Also I think Pirates of Drinax is a very good source for the Trojan Reach.

Valyar
April 17th, 2020, 22:30
So there is no setting book, just campaigns with setting material. I don’t like such model. Is there in the old editions books that provide overall setting info? Or I misunderstood something?

alfarobl
April 17th, 2020, 22:38
The two books I told you are not campaigns but setting material.

esmdev
April 18th, 2020, 01:28
So there is no setting book, just campaigns with setting material. I don’t like such model. Is there in the old editions books that provide overall setting info? Or I misunderstood something?

Behind the Claw is the setting book for the Domain of Deneb which includes 4 sectors of the 3rd Imperium. It covers the system stats for a vast number of systems and also provides some detail on regions and specific worlds. This region of space has been the predominant setting for most of Traveller from classic to now. It is an area that is at the border of the Imperium, two other vast space powers and a number of smaller others.

The Great Rift is a setting/campaign book that covers an area that few people go into. It is a massive area where stars are very far apart and ships need to be specially rigged to get from system to system. It is a pretty cool area and rimward of the Domain of Deneb. It also includes a number of additional ships.

There are a number of older books that cover the settings but they are mostly smaller regions. For instance there is a supplement in MGT1 that covers the Spinward Marches, which is a sector within the Domain of Deneb.

Of course there is the internet. You might check out travellermap.com if you are interested in a map of the known universe and the ability to look up worlds. There are a number of worlds within the map that have links to the traveller wiki site. Not everything on the wiki is canon, but if you look at the bottom of each page it generally lists the source material.

backwardoracle
April 18th, 2020, 12:12
There is a description in the Traveller Rule book (FG Module) Reference section of the overall setting, There is also a detailed description of a Subsector (Sindal) suitable for running campaigns in. It would take 36 weeks just to visit every system in Sindal at least once. In addition to exploring each system or completing various patron missions. More than enough to run a complete campaign for several years.

Also check this thread by esmdev https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52672-Domain-of-Deneb-System-Information A completed Domain. (4 sectors, each containing 16 subsectors, of which Sindal is one, over 700 worlds) which contains a lot of data probably more than you'll ever need.

For more detailed information about the history of the Imperium, there are numerous sites giving detailed backgrounds on History, Nobility, Alien Races, Most of which is easily found on the traveller wiki. https://www.wiki.travellerrpg.com.

Simply put, Space & the traveller system is so vast. you could run a survivors game on a feudal backward tech planet using rocks & sticks to Mil Hi spec mercenary groups overthrowing planetary governments.

Valyar
April 21st, 2020, 11:49
Thank you for the great help guys! I am definitely going to run the next Traveller game on Fantasy Grounds with this ruleset. :)