PDA

View Full Version : Traveller Companion

MadBeardMan
April 15th, 2020, 00:56
Folks,

Been working on the companion over the last few weeks, mostly because it's text it's super quick to convert.

I'll be working more and more on it, as I've also added the Bwaps race into my own game.

It's very useful, I'd actually say it should have been book 2 before CSC because of the useful nuggets.

I am also going to add Luck into my game, so am toying with an overhaul of the Characteristics section on the character sheet. Speaking with Dan the Theme man for some ideas.

I need sleep now, but the Companion will be close on the heels of Highguard I think, which as I type this is about 40% complete itself.

Huzzah
MBM

alfarobl
April 15th, 2020, 01:12
Companion is great! Thank you for the info! I like a lot of the options for character creation too.

MadBeardMan
April 15th, 2020, 01:15
Companion is great! Thank you for the info! I like a lot of the options for character creation too.

Yea, need a good think how to plug them in, makes for a lot quicker character creation! So Companion will be the focus for the 1.3 line of updates.

Defo going now, up for work in 6 hours!

Cheers,
MBM

esmdev
April 15th, 2020, 01:20
I am all for the Companion. I am using Charisma and Luck in my game at the moment, just throw them into the notes section for now. Would be great to have the extra stats in place on the sheet. :)

esmdev
April 15th, 2020, 16:17
So I was thinking about the character sheet for the Companion rules and how it might be done. I am thinking that it might be better handled in an extension so that the core rule sheet remains consistent with the core rules and the referee can choose to enable the extended sheet or continue using the core rules sheet.

Also in the extension you might add some option setting that allows various extended stats to be turned on/off so that the referee can configure which stats are in use and which aren't. Not sure the complexity of how that would effect output on the character sheet but it seems like the most flexible setup.

alfarobl
April 15th, 2020, 17:40
esmdev with other rulesets like Savage Worlds you don't really need to enable extension but just add ruleset options that GM can select like house ruling or using Companion rules. If you enable option for extra Luck or Charisma rules you can just select those and it should show on charsheet.

esmdev
April 15th, 2020, 17:53
esmdev with other rulesets like Savage Worlds you don't really need to enable extension but just add ruleset options that GM can select like house ruling or using Companion rules. If you enable option for extra Luck or Charisma rules you can just select those and it should show on charsheet.

My only experience with Savage Worlds is ETU which requires an extension to alter the character sheet. It would be nice to not have to do that.

MadBeardMan
April 16th, 2020, 00:30
Dan the theme chap, has sent me a nice graphic for the attributes, so I'm going to have a play soon and make the PSI Characteristic optional, the others technically require Traveller Companion, but what I may do is enable them just for some testing for a limited while.

Oh dang, appear to have almost finished the Companion.

garrion_sw
April 20th, 2020, 18:06
I also use Luck and Wealth with my current game and just put it in notes. I told my players that hopefully we will have actual stat spaces with the Companion since it has all those alternate stats.

Keep up the good work.

esmdev
April 20th, 2020, 18:22
I also use Luck and Wealth with my current game and just put it in notes. I told my players that hopefully we will have actual stat spaces with the Companion since it has all those alternate stats.

Keep up the good work.

How does the wealth characteristic work for your game? I've been considering using it in mine.

sallerin
April 21st, 2020, 08:04
For me the companion is not really a priority especially for the rules part because they are mostly optional.
On the other hand, functional vessel rules, High Guard and CSC are much more urgent because really useful if not indispensable.
Likewise, I would prefer to see Pirates of Drinax arrive because this book will be a real challenge to adapt.
Even, Great Rift or the Starter...
It is perhaps not for nothing that Mongoose released the Companion in 5th position, despite the fact that the editor often refers to it in the Core Rulebook

MadBeardMan
April 21st, 2020, 10:11
For me the companion is not really a priority especially for the rules part because they are mostly optional.
On the other hand, functional vessel rules, High Guard and CSC are much more urgent because really useful if not indispensable.
Likewise, I would prefer to see Pirates of Drinax arrive because this book will be a real challenge to adapt.
Even, Great Rift or the Starter...
It is perhaps not for nothing that Mongoose released the Companion in 5th position, despite the fact that the editor often refers to it in the Core Rulebook

Morning Sallerin,

I asked recently what the priority was for the users here and Highguard was ahead of Companion.

Highguard is being worked on, for my own game I needed a lot of the smaller chapters from Companion, so rather than waste time on it, I just converted it and as it's 90% text, some gear, some species and some tables it's ultra quick. I also need the LCK stat from it. I'd actually argue that book order should be 1, 5, 3, 2 then 4.

Anyway, work has continued the ships data is being entered for HG, I've modified the Data Sheet for ships around Power units.

Cheers,
MBM

sallerin
April 21st, 2020, 10:58
I just saw a lot of conversations going around optional rules and I just wanted to give my opinion, Traveller in all its iterations is really a very modular game that is ready for customization whether in its universe or its rules and we quickly left the "canon".
As long as it is only his own players it is without consequences and it is even desirable...
I just consider that adding luck or health on the character sheet is less important than properly managing space combat or ship management.
I understand all points of view however :)
...and i love your fantastic works!

MadBeardMan
April 21st, 2020, 12:01
I just saw a lot of conversations going around optional rules and I just wanted to give my opinion, Traveller in all its iterations is really a very modular game that is ready for customization whether in its universe or its rules and we quickly left the "canon".
As long as it is only his own players it is without consequences and it is even desirable...
I just consider that adding luck or health on the character sheet is less important than properly managing space combat or ship management.
I understand all points of view however :)
...and i love your fantastic works!

Hi Sallerin,

Please continue to give your opinions and input, it's what makes Traveller better.

As you say there's an awful lot of content for Traveller and at this time I've found myself using:

Core rulebook, Spinward Marches 1: Bowman 2, Spinward Marches 2: The Lunion Shield Worlds, Traveller Companion (Luck, Experience, updated Combat), CSC (some cold weather gear), Behind the Claw (Wardn/Mithril) and Marches 2: Mission to Mithril!

So I've converted, Marches 2, parts of Behind the Claw, Spinward Marches 2 - just for my game.

Then my plan is to get them to Sindal, then down to Tlaiowaha so I can begin the Pirates campaign with some more experienced Travellers as most of the group completed just the basic terms, eager for adventure!

BackwardOracle has offered to help with Pirates, so that's soon going to shoot up the list, but it does need Highguard and ship combat!

Cheers,
MBM

Theros
July 2nd, 2021, 22:10
Hi Sallerin,

Please continue to give your opinions and input, it's what makes Traveller better.

As you say there's an awful lot of content for Traveller and at this time I've found myself using:

Core rulebook, Spinward Marches 1: Bowman 2, Spinward Marches 2: The Lunion Shield Worlds, Traveller Companion (Luck, Experience, updated Combat), CSC (some cold weather gear), Behind the Claw (Wardn/Mithril) and Marches 2: Mission to Mithril!

So I've converted, Marches 2, parts of Behind the Claw, Spinward Marches 2 - just for my game.

Then my plan is to get them to Sindal, then down to Tlaiowaha so I can begin the Pirates campaign with some more experienced Travellers as most of the group completed just the basic terms, eager for adventure!

BackwardOracle has offered to help with Pirates, so that's soon going to shoot up the list, but it does need Highguard and ship combat!

Cheers,
MBM

Any official release from this? I am way more than interested from full companion release!

MadBeardMan
July 2nd, 2021, 22:40
Any official release from this? I am way more than interested from full companion release!

Go here for the official release list and you can see the order, as for Companion, all it needs now is for me to look at the new skill options, that requires new development but that's behind the current SCT work.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65781-Official-Mongoose-Products-on-Fantasy-Grounds

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
August 16th, 2021, 12:55
Afternoon All,

Just to let you know what Book 5, Traveller Companion is finished (well needs some images from Mongoose). Later tonight it will be off to the testers.

Then finally we'll begin on Vehicle Handbook.

Cheers,
MBM

Theros
August 16th, 2021, 13:13
Afternoon All,

Just to let you know what Book 5, Traveller Companion is finished (well needs some images from Mongoose). Later tonight it will be off to the testers.

Then finally we'll begin on Vehicle Handbook.

Cheers,
MBM

Looking forward to buy it to new campaign start.

donpaulo
August 17th, 2021, 08:25
very exciting news

Theros
September 7th, 2021, 23:12
very exciting news

Hello,

We starting FG campaign (and we willl buy Companion + several other books as well). One question came to mind. Is it possible for me (even free of charge) to make some kind of NPC addon to traveller? I can easily type templates etc. I would like to have pirates, security, basic people, criminals etc to have in NPC list. Do you think that this kind module can be done?

Br,
Tero

donpaulo
September 8th, 2021, 02:49
Hello,

We starting FG campaign (and we willl buy Companion + several other books as well). One question came to mind. Is it possible for me (even free of charge) to make some kind of NPC addon to traveller? I can easily type templates etc. I would like to have pirates, security, basic people, criminals etc to have in NPC list. Do you think that this kind module can be done?

Br,
Tero

vau onko mahdollista?

MadBeardMan
September 10th, 2021, 22:07
Hello,

Br,
Tero

Yes, this is what the new Forge feature is for, I'm sure if you did the hard work and entered in lots of NPC's then Referee's would be interested.

Cheers,
MBM

Vayne187
September 15th, 2021, 15:59
As always great job MBM I can’t wait till this is done! I’ve been eagerly awaiting a new book to buy on FGU. I’ve already collected all the current MgT 2e and John Brazzer games books! I also love the companion

MadBeardMan
September 15th, 2021, 16:08
As always great job MBM I can’t wait till this is done! I’ve been eagerly awaiting a new book to buy on FGU. I’ve already collected all the current MgT 2e and John Brazzer games books! I also love the companion

Thanks very much for the kind words.

Been down in the dumps over the last few weeks, illness and work and stuff, but the Traveller Companion is with SmiteWorks now, so fingers crossed it'll be here soon. Vehicle Handbook should be sent over next month.

Cheers,
MBM

adzling
September 16th, 2021, 14:51
Thanks very much for the kind words.

...Traveller Companion is with SmiteWorks now, so fingers crossed it'll be here soon. Vehicle Handbook should be sent over next month.

Cheers,
MBM

woot!

Dalton Calford
September 16th, 2021, 16:01
As always, my thanks go out to you for your excellent work MBM!

Theros
October 13th, 2021, 17:20
Any info?

GregRex
October 13th, 2021, 23:30
Hi Theros, no updates yet. Mad Beard Man will be afk for a bit taking care of some personal matters.

meachie
November 16th, 2021, 09:16
Now that MBM appears to be back - do we have any info on the companions progress?

donpaulo
November 16th, 2021, 11:53
Hi twitter feed is talking about 2300 as the top priority

Grommit57
November 16th, 2021, 18:48
MBM posted back on the 5th it was in SW hands. We'll see it when we see it.

adzling
November 18th, 2021, 21:16
it's been in sw hands for months now iirc.

gawd i hope they pull their freakin' finger out sometime soon

MrWigggles
November 18th, 2021, 22:48
The singular person that does QA for Smiteworks has also been having personal issues that's been preventing them from working.

Grommit57
December 9th, 2021, 21:53
Hit the Store today. Merry Christmas to Me!

cdjensen99
December 9th, 2021, 22:41
Hit the Store today. Merry Christmas to Me!

Don't buy it yet the link is incorrect and you will end up buying the Traveller 2e Rule Set again. I bought it before looking at the link and now I have to try to get the product I wanted.

cdjensen99
December 10th, 2021, 09:59
Good news the link is fixed, Smithworks handled this fabulously, Within minutes my money was refunded and the link fixed. I have now purchased the product.

Thank you Smithworks.

cdjensen99
December 10th, 2021, 10:35
I get the following error (See Below) when I open go to the 4-Pre-Career Options, All of the options are missing.

adzling
December 10th, 2021, 14:43
glad its out, but was hoping for the Drinaxian Companion.

did MbM submit it before his hiatus?

MadBeardMan
December 10th, 2021, 14:55
I get the following error (See Below) when I open go to the 4-Pre-Career Options, All of the options are missing.

Thanks, that's with the ruleset that hasn't gone live yet, due to the upcoming changes. I'll have a think how to get around that.

MadBeardMan
December 10th, 2021, 14:56
glad its out, but was hoping for the Drinaxian Companion.

did MbM submit it before his hiatus?

Yes, it's in final testing, should see the light of day very soon.

Cheers
MBM

MadBeardMan
January 16th, 2022, 17:48
Folks,

I've pushed an update for the Traveller Companion today. Containing a couple of fixes, plus added a couple of tables and the career data.

[Fixed] Airborne Hazards Table, the dice bands are now correct
[Added] Bad Jumps/Misjumps. Added those tables
[Added] Added Career Data for Truther/Believer Careers
[Fixed] Fixed minor layout issues

This should be released on the 24th Jan, but should be in TEST from next week if you want to check it out.

Cheers,
MBM

esmdev
January 18th, 2022, 23:38
Hi.

Is there support for broad skill groups?

Also, are you planning a player guide for the companion rules?

MadBeardMan
January 19th, 2022, 10:03
Hi.

Is there support for broad skill groups?

Also, are you planning a player guide for the companion rules?

Hi esmdev,

Not at this time, the updates are starting to switch now to add more support for the Companion, and I'll bump this up the list for you.

Cheers,
MBM

Boldtaar
February 24th, 2022, 12:42
Are we getting any combat automation for the option rules?
I mainly use the addition would effect and hit location. Nice if it could work similar to ship combat.

+1 for adding the new skills from the the Broad skill groups.
Since the book doesn't have a good way to introduce some of the new skills in character creation.
I use a house role where my players has the option after a successful advancement roll to pick one of the new skills instead of doing a extra roll on the skill tables.
They can only do this ones and the skill have to be connected to the career. This way my players can for example get the Crewmember skills for Navy, Merchant and Scout careers or Low-g skill for a Marine.

MadBeardMan
February 26th, 2022, 14:34
Are we getting any combat automation for the option rules?
I mainly use the addition would effect and hit location. Nice if it could work similar to ship combat.

+1 for adding the new skills from the the Broad skill groups.
Since the book doesn't have a good way to introduce some of the new skills in character creation.
I use a house role where my players has the option after a successful advancement roll to pick one of the new skills instead of doing a extra roll on the skill tables.
They can only do this ones and the skill have to be connected to the career. This way my players can for example get the Crewmember skills for Navy, Merchant and Scout careers or Low-g skill for a Marine.

Hi Boldtaar,

Keep on coming up with these suggestions, they do help us organise what do work on next.

I've added from the Companion the following automation:

Hit Locations. If a Traveller is hit by an NPC, a location is randomly rolled.
Combat Mishaps. If a Traveller or NPC roll a pair of 1's and it's a MISS, then the Mishaps table is rolled, the outcome will have to be manually applied, approved by the Referee.

I'm working next on:

Wound Effects. Should a Traveller take damage a Wound Effect can be applied to that location. The effects will then be placed onto the character, and all various checks will be modified automatically

I may get the time to add a few other bits around this, such as a Modifier for 'Specific Location' when in Combat.

I'll take a look at skills soon, as the Character Wizard is underway slowly and that needs to be aware of all skills.

Cheers,
MBM

Boldtaar
April 11th, 2022, 16:11
How does the Hit Locations automation work for armor coverage?
Tested it and Flack jacket gives coverage for legs with I don't think is should.
Is the a way to edit a Armor item coverage area?
Maybe could add a field to Armor items where we can edit coverage area by adding numbers. Example: "3-5" for Torso or and "1, 3-5" for Head and Torso

MadBeardMan
April 14th, 2022, 12:56
How does the Hit Locations automation work for armor coverage?
Tested it and Flack jacket gives coverage for legs with I don't think is should.
Is the a way to edit a Armor item coverage area?
Maybe could add a field to Armor items where we can edit coverage area by adding numbers. Example: "3-5" for Torso or and "1, 3-5" for Head and Torso

Hi Chap,

I'm going to expand Armour in the next update to include 'locations'. I'm just doing this for RQ and want to test what works best.

Cheers,
MBM

Dalton Calford
April 20th, 2022, 18:57
Hi MBM,

A friend was asking about the rules and in specific about Pre Career Support, Point based Character Building and Package based creation as they have a group and wanted to try to run Traveller.
When I looked, I did not see any of these supported.
The Point based system could be added by having it calculated automatically on all character sheets, every time a character sheet has a change in skills or attributes.
This would allow the players to add/subtract things as needed and see the point score updated immediately, while also allowing players to see what their current characters would have costed out to even if they used other mechanics to create them.

As for package based systems, This one is something that needs a bit of thought as it is obvious the packages where created without considering any of the other companion rules. For example, they do not list any of the optional attributes.
If I was adding support, these are the options I would add.
<name>packagename</name>
<note>formated text</note>
<time><success>die expression or fixed number</success><failure>die expression or fixed number</failure><time interval> days or months or years or terms</time interval></time>
<success><odds>int between 2 and 12 ie 8 for value to roll</odds></success>
<critsuccess><odds>int between 2 and 12 ie 8 for value to roll</odds></critsuccess>
<attribute list>
<attribute><ID>attributename</ID><value>'+' or '-' to indicate 1 point increase or decrease</value><odds>int between 2 and 12 ie 8 for value to roll</odds></attribute>
</attribute list>
<skill list>
<skill><failure><ID>skillname</ID><value>'+' or '-' or '0' (zero means set at zero if it does not already exist) </value><odds>int between 2 and 12 ie 8 for value to roll</odds></failure></skill>
<skill><success><ID>skillname</ID><value>'+' or '-' or '0' (zero means set at zero if it does not already exist) </value><odds>int between 2 and 12 ie 8 for value to roll</odds></success></skill>
<skill><critsuccess><ID>skillname</ID><value>'+' or '-' or '0' (zero means set at zero if it does not already exist) </value><odds>int between 2 and 12 ie 8 for value to roll</odds></critsuccess></skill>
</skill list>
<benefits>
<item><ID>what the item is</ID><amount>dice expression or value</amount><odds>int between 2 and 12 ie 8 for value to roll</odds></item>
</benefits>

The idea is, you can specify a package that can be dragged/dropped onto a character sheet, if a chance of success or failure is specified, the odds are specified, the skills gained, based upon success level (success is default if no chance of failure) and if the skill or change is automatic, then by putting a fixed value of 1 means any roll would succeed.

This allows for any attribute to be added to the design, allows for fixed or random determination of skills and fixed or random determination of benefits.
It even allows for fixed or random determination of the time taken.

This system would not only allow for full support of package build systems, it also would make quick unique NPC generation and would allow players to customize the system for support of earlier versions of traveller (this would allow for full support of the TNE character creation system if that was wanted)

You could also use the above system to support pre-career systems as well.

Hopefully this would be able to be done so that my friend would be enticed to buy into the full traveller system.

best regards

Dalton

Dalton Calford
April 20th, 2022, 21:43
Hi MBM
As an expansion to the above, you could also add the following to career packages
<TechLevel> this way you can specify the homeworld/tech level limits for the career - informational only
<Prerequisite> Prior Career packages needed before attempting this career - informational only
<Opportunities> Possible next career if successful or even if failed ie a failure in piracy may lead to prison.
<Event> chances of a life or career event and a roll on the appropriate table.

This could actually become a full character generation routine if wanted.

MadBeardMan
April 24th, 2022, 13:20
Hi Dalton,

Thanks for your thinking in this area.

There is a character builder in the works, the main issue I'm experiencing is down to custom data, so I'm working through all the bits, it's a slow process but once finished it should allow anyone to build a Traveller using all the ways supported from Mongoose.

Thanks,
MBM

esmdev
April 24th, 2022, 22:59
Hi Dalton,

Thanks for your thinking in this area.

There is a character builder in the works, the main issue I'm experiencing is down to custom data, so I'm working through all the bits, it's a slow process but once finished it should allow anyone to build a Traveller using all the ways supported from Mongoose.

Thanks,
MBM

Three thumbs up!

emckinley
April 25th, 2022, 17:34
Hi Boldtaar,

Keep on coming up with these suggestions, they do help us organise what do work on next.

I've added from the Companion the following automation:

Hit Locations. If a Traveller is hit by an NPC, a location is randomly rolled.
Combat Mishaps. If a Traveller or NPC roll a pair of 1's and it's a MISS, then the Mishaps table is rolled, the outcome will have to be manually applied, approved by the Referee.

I'm working next on:

Wound Effects. Should a Traveller take damage a Wound Effect can be applied to that location. The effects will then be placed onto the character, and all various checks will be modified automatically

I may get the time to add a few other bits around this, such as a Modifier for 'Specific Location' when in Combat.

I'll take a look at skills soon, as the Character Wizard is underway slowly and that needs to be aware of all skills.

Cheers,
MBM

Hi MBM,
Can the hit location be mapped to an NPC from a Traveller's shot? I see that it doesn't do it automatically. Is there a way to do it manually (i.e. roll the location and then the damage)?
Sorry if this was already asked and I missed the thread.
Thanks, Elliott

MadBeardMan
April 25th, 2022, 17:44
Hi MBM,
Can the hit location be mapped to an NPC from a Traveller's shot? I see that it doesn't do it automatically. Is there a way to do it manually (i.e. roll the location and then the damage)?
Sorry if this was already asked and I missed the thread.
Thanks, Elliott

Hi Emckinley.

NPC's don't have hit locations, only PC's have them, as for example, an NPC could have 4 arms...

It's a very simple rule really, nothing like the rules in RuneQuest, which have hit locations for all NPC's.

I'll bring this to the attention of Mongoose and see what they say, as for normal humanoid, I might be able to implement it.

Cheers,
MBM