PDA

View Full Version : The Fantasy Trip - Playtest new ruleset in a one-shot adventure

AmadanNaBriona
April 14th, 2020, 23:27
First, I want to be clear, this is a playtest for the new The Fantasy Trip (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54446-The-Fantasy-Trip&p=491211#post491211) ruleset that I created (with help from Ronnke). I am also running it on Fantasy Grounds Unity, to get a feel for it, even though most of my testing previously has been with FG Classic. So far it seems stable, but I cannot guarantee that an unforeseen bug won't bring the adventure to a screeching halt. So while I hope everyone has fun with the adventure itself, I am primarily looking for people who will give feedback on the interface, feature requests, things that should be changed, etc., and aren't overly concerned about the outcome of the game. There will also need to be some prep work before the adventure starts (for those who want custom characters) as SJG has not approved any official DCL, which means Spells, Talents, and equipment not on the list I've created in my private library (which I will share) must be manually entered by each player.

FG License: Fantasy Grounds Unity. I have an Ultimate license, so all you need is a regular FGU account.
Game System: The Fantasy Trip, by Steve Jackson Games.

Time: Tentatively, Thursday 5 p.m.EST. However, I am available pretty much any time this week, so I am flexible about scheduling a time that works for the most players.

Planned Duration & Frequency: This is a one-shot, though I don't rule out follow-up adventures. I'm going to tentatively plan on a 4-hour session. But keeping in mind I expect at least the first hour to involve creating and entering characters, I'd prefer people who have plenty of time...

Text or Voice: Voice via Discord channel.

Adventure: I will be using SJG's published adventure, Fire in the Temple. If you've already read it, then you probably shouldn't participate (though if you really want to be part of this playtest and can pretend you don't know things, let me know).

Number of Players: Looking for 4-5.

Character starting level & equipment: You may build somewhat experienced 35-point characters. I also have pregens available. Don't try any funky builds or game-breaking tricks - I'm just trying to test the ruleset here. (I.e., no giants, centaurs, one-trick pony wizards who summon Greater Demons, etc.)

amenditman
April 14th, 2020, 23:33
Amadan, I am available and want to help.

Your proposed timeslot is good for me. Only time I am not available is Saturdays.

Hcobb
April 15th, 2020, 00:03
Scarlet Capuche, Human apprentice vampire hunter
ST 12, DX 14, IQ 9, MA 10
Silver Light Crossbow(2d), 40xSilver quarrels, Untalented Silver Dagger-staff(1d-1/1d)
Crossbow, Literacy.
Aid, Dark Vision, Fire, Staff, Summon Scout, Turn Missiles.

amenditman
April 15th, 2020, 00:19
Turoc, Human Javelinman (32 pt character idea)
ST 9, DX 13, IQ 10, MA 12
Javelin (x4), Knife (HtH), Molotail, Cloth Armor, Small Shield
Pole Weapons, Thrown Weapons, Shield, Shied Expertise, Climbing, Running

DeviousIncubus
April 15th, 2020, 00:59
Hello,
I can play Thursdays at 5:00 pm Eastern/2:00 pm Pacific. I'll make a 35 point character. How much money do we have for gear? If I make a Wizard, can I buy +3 Fatigue Points for 1 Attribute point?

Paolo
[email protected]

First, I want to be clear, this is a playtest for the new The Fantasy Trip (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54446-The-Fantasy-Trip&p=491211#post491211) ruleset that I created (with help from Ronnke). I am also running it on Fantasy Grounds Unity, to get a feel for it, even though most of my testing previously has been with FG Classic. So far it seems stable, but I cannot guarantee that an unforeseen bug won't bring the adventure to a screeching halt. So while I hope everyone has fun with the adventure itself, I am primarily looking for people who will give feedback on the interface, feature requests, things that should be changed, etc., and aren't overly concerned about the outcome of the game. There will also need to be some prep work before the adventure starts (for those who want custom characters) as SJG has not approved any official DCL, which means Spells, Talents, and equipment not on the list I've created in my private library (which I will share) must be manually entered by each player.

FG License: Fantasy Grounds Unity. I have an Ultimate license, so all you need is a regular FGU account.
Game System: The Fantasy Trip, by Steve Jackson Games.

Time: Tentatively, Thursday 5 p.m.EST. However, I am available pretty much any time this week, so I am flexible about scheduling a time that works for the most players.

Planned Duration & Frequency: This is a one-shot, though I don't rule out follow-up adventures. I'm going to tentatively plan on a 4-hour session. But keeping in mind I expect at least the first hour to involve creating and entering characters, I'd prefer people who have plenty of time...

Text or Voice: Voice via Discord channel.

Adventure: I will be using SJG's published adventure, Fire in the Temple. If you've already read it, then you probably shouldn't participate (though if you really want to be part of this playtest and can pretend you don't know things, let me know).

Number of Players: Looking for 4-5.

Character starting level & equipment: You may build somewhat experienced 35-point characters. I also have pregens available. Don't try any funky builds or game-breaking tricks - I'm just trying to test the ruleset here. (I.e., no giants, centaurs, one-trick pony wizards who summon Greater Demons, etc.)

amenditman
April 15th, 2020, 01:10
@Devious That extra fatigue rule is someone's homerule and not any part of TFT as written.

seycyrus
April 15th, 2020, 01:16
Once you get things down pat, you guys should consider making a video.

amenditman
April 15th, 2020, 01:21
I can certainly use OBS and screen record the session from the player's view if that is desired.

DeviousIncubus
April 15th, 2020, 02:23
I'm making an IQ 13 Wizard.

We need to have someone with Physicker!

My Wizard can give $600 to someone who can carry four healing potions.

YAKO SOMEDAKY
April 15th, 2020, 02:24
If the session was recorded can someone share?

AmadanNaBriona
April 15th, 2020, 02:43
What's the campaign name in FGU?

I have not created it yet.

Turoc, Human Javelinman (32 pt character idea)
ST 9, DX 13, IQ 10, MA 12
Javelin (x4), Knife (HtH), Molotail, Cloth Armor, Small Shield
Pole Weapons, Thrown Weapons, Shield, Shied Expertise, Climbing, Running

You can add 3 more points to him.

Hello,
I can play Thursdays at 5:00 pm Eastern/2:00 pm Pacific. I'll make a 35 point character. How much money do we have for gear? If I make a Wizard, can I buy +3 Fatigue Points for 1 Attribute point?

Paolo
[email protected]

You can buy the normal $1000 worth of starting gear. Normally I would probably be a little stricter about just buying healing potions and such, but since this is a one-shot to test out the rules, I'll allow it. That said, no homebrew rules like buying extra Fatigue.

DeviousIncubus
April 15th, 2020, 03:28
No armor, Henry?

Silver Light Crossbow(2d), 40xSilver quarrels, Silver Dagger-staff(1d-1/1d)
Crossbow, Knife, Literacy.
Aid, Light, Staff, Turn Missiles.

DeviousIncubus
April 15th, 2020, 03:34
No armor, Henry?

Silver Light Crossbow(2d), 40xSilver quarrels, Silver Dagger-staff(1d-1/1d)
Crossbow, Knife, Literacy.
Aid, Light, Staff, Turn Missiles.

Tollenkar
April 15th, 2020, 05:12
Umbrik the not-so-pius
Defrocked priest, Human fighter
ST-11, DX-13(11), IQ-11, MA-8
enchanted (blessed) leather armor (3), small shield+Shield Expert (2)
Mace (2d-1)
Ax/Mace (2), Brawling (1), Tactics (1), Shield (1), Shield Expert (2), Physicker (2), Alertness (2). Has been healing the poor and drunken

Amadan, I am available Thursdays but starting next Thursday would be best.
These, of course, are with the new ITL Talents. I will adjust if you are using the original rules.

Tollenkar
April 15th, 2020, 06:33
I loaded the TFT.pak file into my FGU Ruleset folder. Is there anything else I need to do?

AmadanNaBriona
April 15th, 2020, 09:16
Okay, I created a public cloud server called "TFT playtest" under my GM name "Amadan." Can someone confirm they are able to log in, and access the "In the Labyrinth" items that I created? (And that they are not able to see any of the Fire in the Temple stuff?) I haven't used FGU's cloud servers before.

AmadanNaBriona
April 15th, 2020, 09:17
I loaded the TFT.pak file into my FGU Ruleset folder. Is there anything else I need to do?

See above - just see if you can log in. Players shouldn't even need the TFT ruleset installed.

Hcobb
April 15th, 2020, 16:02
Can't see either the GM name or TFT on the list from a free account. I can see some GURPS and a lot of 5E games.

JustAnotherJarhead
April 15th, 2020, 17:42
I'm interested , Go with my Battle tested dwarven tank. But i need to know if my dwarven Plate is not allowed, otherwise I'll go with chainmail.

Tollenkar
April 15th, 2020, 19:11
I don't see either your name or TFT playtest in the Join Game options. I am also on a free FGU account.

AmadanNaBriona
April 15th, 2020, 19:37
It will be up and down today, as I'm trying to fix a font bug.

DeviousIncubus
April 15th, 2020, 22:00
Congal Ó Broin, Celtic Irish Human Wizard (35 points)
ST 8
DX 14 (12)
IQ 13
MA 8
control person (t), fireball (m), freeze (t), break weapon (t), analyze magic (t), blast (s), breathe fire (t), sleep (t), illusion (c), summon myrmidon (c), staff to snake (t), staff (s), literacy
silver dagger 1d-1 $100 0.2 lbs.
bare-handed damage: 1d-4, HTH bare-handed damage: 1d-3, HTH dagger:1d-1
club w/staff 1H: 1d-1, 2H: 1d $10 3 lbs.
labyrinth kit $30 6 lbs.
belt pouch $5 0.5 lbs.
backpack $40 4 lbs.
leather armor 2 hits $100 16 lbs.
waterskin filled w/water $3 2 lbs.
clothing (middle class) $50 4 lbs.
rations, 7 days $35 7 lbs.
torches, 6 $6 3 lbs.
-------------------------------------
$379 47.7 lbs
Cash on hand: $621

Conal can give $600 to another character to carry 4 healing potions

Tollenkar
April 16th, 2020, 01:42
Amadan,
I still can't see the Campaign to log in.

AmadanNaBriona
April 16th, 2020, 02:03
It should be up. Look for "TFT playtest" with GM "Amadan."

Tollenkar
April 16th, 2020, 04:12
I was able to get in and create my character sheet for Umbrik. I'm getting the hang of it. Very nice. I'm not sure where the modifier for shield Expertise goes? Also, is there any way to make a column in the Talent area to keep track of the IQ costs for each talent. I put it in manually in () next to the talent name.

amenditman
April 16th, 2020, 04:32
My character, Turok, is entered.

@Tollenkar, you can make a note attached to the Talent for details you need to remember. Just click the red-ish globe icon in the talent line. Yes, put the cost next to it in parens if it is other than 1.

@Amaden, I noticed that cost and weight are listed for weapons on Main and on Inventory. Should it be both? Kind of weird having it on the Main under weapon stats as I have to list one weapon twice to account for using it the different ways it can be used.

Tollenkar
April 16th, 2020, 13:14
My character, Turok, is entered.

@Tollenkar, you can make a note attached to the Talent for details you need to remember. Just click the red-ish globe icon in the talent line. Yes, put the cost next to it in parens if it is other than 1.

Yeah, I saw you in there last night. My character Umbrik is entered too. Thanks for the advice. I didn't realize that weapons from the first page had to be entered on the second page for the weight to register.

Amadan: A cost column would be nice for the Items Carried and the Weapons charts. Something that would automatically add up the cost of all Items. Great job with the rest of the character sheet setup.

AmadanNaBriona
April 16th, 2020, 16:59
Replying to comments about the ruleset on the ruleset page (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54446-The-Fantasy-Trip/page3) to keep feature requests in one thread.

Tollenkar
April 16th, 2020, 17:31
OK, I'll do that.

Tollenkar
April 16th, 2020, 22:54
I am having trouble with connecting to the Discord voice server. Can anyone help me? When I go the FG main menu and then Join the TFT Playtest campaign I don't see an option to join a voice channel. Do I need to go through Discord?

amenditman
April 17th, 2020, 00:45
https://discord.gg/

The invite link on discord is not working correctly.
Let me dig a bit

Found it I think

https://discordapp.com/invite/Z7AtdCe
https://discord.gg/Z7AtdCe

Tollenkar
April 17th, 2020, 18:26
Amadan,

Great test battle last night. Sorry about all the name confusion. Who would have known? I took a screen shot at some point last night. Would you mind if I posted it on the TFT FB page with a little description of the battle?33879

-Jim

DeviousIncubus
April 19th, 2020, 04:18
So are we playing Thursday April 23 at 2:00 pm Pacific/5:00 pm Eastern?

AmadanNaBriona
April 19th, 2020, 15:23
I haven't planned another session yet, but I will let you know. It depends on how much improvement I make to the ruleset.