PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on game system?

Malleable
April 14th, 2020, 02:10
So I am new to Fantasy Grounds. I just bought the FGU ultimate version. Friends of mine are working with 'the other' online gaming system, but FG seems to have a larger variety of rule sets/game systems.
I typically play Rolemaster (RMFRPG, but have used RM2 in the past), but am not sure if the complexity of the game would slow things down. I do have all the Shadow World supplements in paper form, so I could build some adventures with them. If I go with RM, should I use the rolemaster classic modules, or the coreRPG stuff - I don't know which is more developed.
I also like GURPS, but not sure if there are enough supplements out there for it. I haven't GMed in decades, so not sure about writing my own material.
I am interested in Vampire, but have only played a couple sessions. Are there any source material for this? Modules?
Besides that I have been playing some D&D lately - so I could play it. My problem with D&D is the amount of supplemental source material that makes the classes interesting, but there is so much of it that I would have to buy to make it work for me. Module support is fantastic though...

What suggestions or comments can you make regarding these game systems?

Thanks,
Mal

LordEntrails
April 14th, 2020, 02:35
Tough question... Really, the correct answer, imo, is what drives you?

Now, for me, I run D&D 5E. I play in a Star Frontiers and a Dragon Lance 3.5E game. But if/when I run something I tend heavily towards 5E. Lots of reasons, for me I feel it doesn't have the glut of options other editions or games have. If you run with the Adventure's League concept of PHB+1, then you really only need the PHB for character generation and then players can buy that optional +1 resource if they want something for their character.

Running 5E you will never have a shortage of players. And since it is the largest segment of the community, you have lots of content, from DMsGuild to YouTube videos to Extensions to Forum discussions and 'helpers'.

But, if 5E doesn't drive you, then pick another system that does :)

damned
April 14th, 2020, 03:37
Rolemaster plays much faster on Fantasy Grounds than in real life.

Malleable
April 14th, 2020, 03:54
Thanks Damned,
Once they get my FGU account linked to Steam (I guess when it becomes available on Steam) I'll have to buy the RMC supplement. It doesn't cost much.
Any one have thoughts on GURPS or Vampire?

Thanks,
Mal

esmdev
April 14th, 2020, 15:36
Good news for you because the RMC ruleset just underwent a massive overhaul and is currently in testing. The update looks really great.

Malleable
April 14th, 2020, 19:35
Good news for you because the RMC ruleset just underwent a massive overhaul and is currently in testing. The update looks really great.

Can someone explain to me the difference between the RMC Fantasy Grounds module on Steam, and:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?17227-List-of-Extensions-and-Modules
and
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55141-RolemasterClassic-ruleset-v2-0-(based-on-CoreRPG)

What/where should I go to get the best RMC system for FG?

Thanks,
Mal

Dakadin
April 14th, 2020, 20:50
Hi Malleable,

Right now there are 2 code versions of the RMC ruleset. Version 1.8 is the current live production version and version 2.0 is the new test version. It just depends on which channel you set in your settings when starting FG. The Steam product and FG store product are both the same thing so you can get it in either place.

Dakadin

seycyrus
April 14th, 2020, 21:32
Any one have thoughts on GURPS ...?
Thanks,
Mal

And Earlier,

...I also like GURPS, but not sure if there are enough supplements out there for it. I haven't GMed in decades, so not sure about writing my own material.

What are you asking about? If there is any extra stuff out there in terms of paper and pdfs? If so, there is approximately 14 wheelbarrow loads of stuff. https://www.warehouse23.com/products?taxons%5B%5D=558398545-sb

If you are asking about FG Gurps stuff, there is some great ruleset support for Gurps, come visit the subforum!

Malleable
April 14th, 2020, 22:08
And Earlier,

What are you asking about? If there is any extra stuff out there in terms of paper and pdfs? If so, there is approximately 14 wheelbarrow loads of stuff. https://www.warehouse23.com/products?taxons%5B%5D=558398545-sb

If you are asking about FG Gurps stuff, there is some great ruleset support for Gurps, come visit the subforum!

Seycyrus,
I was asking about FG ruleset support, AND adventures. Having some premade adventures or a world setting I can load in saves me a ton of time, and honestly I don't have the time to to create everything from scratch. Its been over 10yrs since I've played GURPS, but I recall it being pretty easy to play. And super easy to build characters since its all based on pts, and you aren't locked into anything. Damn! Now I'm thinking more about GURPS.

Mal

Fear Grounds
April 15th, 2020, 00:39
Any one have thoughts on GURPS or Vampire?

Vampire (VTM V5)is a great ruleset. Super easy to use, looks awesome, and really keeps all the info you need handy. Character creation is basically drag and drop, with all of the mechanics being done in the background, and the V5 dice roller is a perfect fit.

VTM is a new ruleset though. So the only currently available content is the core book. None of the additional Books/Chronicles are included in fantasy grounds yet.

With the information in the core book, you can easily run entire stories and chronicles, without needing any additional content. That being said, it is extremely easy to add additional clans/powers/disciplines, whatever it is you are looking for.