PDA

View Full Version : What did I do wrong here? Any guesses?

Steve Geddes
April 13th, 2020, 21:32
Last night’s session went very well. Our smoothest so far. We’re using FGU and running a Paizo Starfinder AP. The only issue I had was small and brief (but also irritating!):

One of the encounters doesn’t have a map, so I preloaded one of their flipmats into the campaign, added a grid over the map’s grid and set it up in mask mode, etcetera. I moved some PCs and monsters from the combat tracker to the map and everything seemed fine.

During the session, I dragged the encounter to the combat tracker and the monsters all populated. I could drag them from there to the map fine, however unhiding them didn’t do anything - the PCs couldn’t see them.

There was a monster from a previous encounter they’d befriended who did show up just fine and was still in the combat tracker along with the party when I dragged the second encounter in.

Also, although the monsters all showed up in turn order, I couldn’t drag their attacks into the chat window, like I had been able to with previous encounters. (It just repositioned the combat tracker window).

Any thoughts as to what step I omitted?

I made do with drawing splodges and erasing them when it moved, but the end result was not as pretty as Paizo’s art.

Willot
April 13th, 2020, 21:46
mmm could of been a LOS issue. If LOS is on; while you can see them the players cant. You didn't necessary did anything wrong, could of been the LOS mask just screwed up

Trenloe
April 13th, 2020, 21:47
Moved to the FGU Playtest forum.

Steve Geddes
April 13th, 2020, 22:30
mmm could of been a LOS issue. If LOS is on; while you can see them the players cant. You didn't necessary did anything wrong, could of been the LOS mask just screwed up

Thanks for the suggestion.

I’ve been trying not to use LOS. The only layer I’ve been intentionally using is the mask mode. Could I have perhaps inadvertently activated a LOS layer by adding a grid?

RaggedyJack
April 13th, 2020, 23:08
I found that the 'eye' icon to show NPCs in the combat tracker does not make the NPC visible on the map, it just makes them visible to the players in the combat tracker. To make the token visible on the map you need to right-click it and change the visibility. '~something~ sensitive' is the one that works with LOS.

Willot
April 13th, 2020, 23:12
Just had a mess around, its seems there a bug. If you make the viability of a token Mask Sensitive; then mask it, it makes the token invisible (as it should)
It you then Unmask the Token it doesn't make it Visible (as it should).
You need to enter play mode, (the d20 icon, top left), right click on the token and choose viability, make always visible
Then re-enter mask mode
I believe this may have something to do with issue FGU-1004

Steve Geddes
April 13th, 2020, 23:35
Thankyou both. I’ll have a play around. I seem to remember discovering this before, so,perhaps I inadvertently solved the problem with previous encounters.

Cheers.

TheSlowestZombie
April 13th, 2020, 23:52
I have also been having this same issue with 5E. Token visibility works fine until I also enable and start messing with the masking layer. Then suddenly enemies are stuck invisible until I force visibility on the token.

Aiddar
April 20th, 2020, 09:31
Something similar I suspect... hoping just me being an idiot.

I have an encounter loaded into CT. I place the tokens on the map (they default to invis which is fine). I then set them to "Mask Sensitive" - I want some of them to be visible, and some not (some are within the "visible" area (in game terms, a pack of giant rats have just run round a corner), while some (the rest of the pack) are still out of sight).

The issue - when setting the to be mask sensitive, I thought that if a map was revealed, all those critters that are mask sensitive should suddenly become visible on the map, but instead, they seem to be staying invis. I have checked - made them visible, invis, reset them back to "mask sensitive", changed the CT status as well, trying to find a combo that would mean as soon as I reveal the map, the bad guys show, but I do not seem to be able to get it to work... I am missing something, but not sure what... Any help appreciated!

Neovirtus
April 20th, 2020, 15:01
I believe this is a known issue (FGU-1004, see here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56344-Encounter-tokens-stay-hidden-after-unmasking). So hopefully it'll be fixed soon!

Aiddar
April 20th, 2020, 15:18
Thank you - good news that it is being looked at.

Cheers

Paul