PDA

View Full Version : Figured out dual screen support on Mac

vaughnlannister
April 13th, 2020, 15:20
Hi all,

I wanted to share, how I use two monitors to play fantasy ground.
I have connected one external monitor, then in settings, I made the following change shown in the link:
https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206693470-Mac-How-to-span-windows-across-multiple-displays

Now after logging in and out of my user account, I am able to stretch the fantasy ground window between my macbook screen and external monitor.
Only thing is that the screen will have to be size of the macbook monitor, you can't increase the height of the window on your external monitor. So its a kind of stretched out mac screen over two monitors.

May not be perfect, but its very useful for running a game as a dm.

sstarsslayer
April 27th, 2020, 21:17
I prefer running my second FGU instance, with the player's view, on the laptop monitor. 34482

vaughnlannister
April 27th, 2020, 21:49
Cool set up, it looks like your running FGU from two separate laptops right? I prefer having the huge DM screen, stretched over my MAC and monitor screen, but my monitor is not as big as yours :p

sstarsslayer
April 27th, 2020, 21:56
Actually, no, both instances of FGU run off the same laptop. That one is faster and each instance only ties up one core.
Because most of the content is viewable on either instance, I think it would still be better even without the 5k primary.
You have more flexibility to set the two to different resolutions and such.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56411-How-to-launch-a-second-session-of-Fantasy-Ground-Unity-on-Mac&p=497276&viewfull=1#post497276

vaughnlannister
May 4th, 2020, 12:20
Interesting, FGU is still quite tasking, you must have a powerful mac to have 2 running at same time?
Yes your setup sounds perfect, having two of the same windows with all the functionality, I could see myself use the big one for maps and combat and the smaller for the adventure books. Which is what I'm doing now at the moment, by stretching the screen along two monitors. Its just a pity, I can't use the entire external monitor screen when doing so.

sstarsslayer
May 4th, 2020, 16:55
Interesting, FGU is still quite tasking, you must have a powerful mac to have 2 running at same time?

Well, unless FGU gains they ability in the future to take advantage of more than one CPU core with those tasks that typically pinwheel, any Mac newer than 2010 is going to have an idle core just waiting for you to load another FGU instance onto. I've tried it on my eight-year-old machine as well as my newest.
But, one instance must be a player instance. That means it's not all the same functionality. It's still very useful.

vaughnlannister
May 5th, 2020, 10:27
Ok, in the future, they were planning to add dual-screen support, so that would also fix the issue of having to run FG twice or stretching out the screen. But I agree, I think we're all eagerly awaiting FGU to come out of Beta and be fully optimised, running more efficient to make use of all the cores.