PDA

View Full Version : LF2P - 4E Zeitgeist (Full Campaign, Currently Lvl 10)

Locke4VII
April 13th, 2020, 15:18
FG License: DM has ultimate license, you only need the demo version.
Game System: D&D 4E with House Rules (listed below)

Time Zone: Eastern (GMT -5)
Day of week and time: Sundays; mostly-weekly. We plan on playing almost every Sunday, with occasional bye weeks.
Planned Duration & Frequency: Typically 4-5 hour blocks from 1PM to 5 or 6PM
Term: Extremely long term. We started with five players at level 1 sometime last year and plan on going to level 30, however long that takes. Three of the four current players also played levels 1-30 in a full-term Scales of War campaign over the course of the two years prior. Ideally, these two players we are seeking will at least stick with us through the course of this campaign, and hopefully be interested in continuing with us even into the next campaign. Still, we're open to trials, to see if this is the group for you or not :)

Text or Voice: Mix of both. The DM uses mostly text to convey scenes and speech, and the players use a large mix. We have periods of time where the voice channel is quieter than most groups because everyone is focusing on putting thought into the actions of their heroes and how they would react to certain situations (RP heavy) as opposed to most groups which might be more vocal. It may not be for everyone, and that's okay :)
Voice software used: Teamspeak 3. We also have a discord channel, but it nearly fried the DM's laptop, so we don't use it for voice.
Will this be recorded and/or live streamed? No, we don't record sessions, save for the FG chat log.

Roleplay & Combat mix: We opt for combat frequently (sans murder hobos), but Zeitgeist is a RP-heavy campaign, rife with intrigue, subterfuge, and various plots. It is highly investigative, and we have gone multiple sessions in a row with no combat encounters in the past. Sometimes this is a result of the choices of the party, other times it is a result of the nature of the campaign itself. It is not your classic dungeon crawl by any stretch of the imagination, and several encounters are entirely optional or can be completely avoided. I leave everything to the group to decide - and I don't force any players to tag along with an idea they disagree with (even if it might mean your death).
Number of Players in game & needed: We currently have four active, long-term players consisting of the following classes and themes:
Arsirasci "Big," a dragonborn sorcerer martial scientist.
Cat, a human multi-class wizard/fighter/psion technologist.
Clatter, a kenku rogue spy.
And T'Shaledhra, a hamadryad sarafil feywarden.
If you're not sure what a martial scientist or a technologist is, that's because Zeitgeist introduces nine new character themes that give plot-based bonuses throughout the campaign. New themes include Eschatologists, who study the end of the world, Skyseers, who study the movements of the stars and planets above, Spirit Mediums, who converse with the dead, and even Gunsmiths.
We are looking for two players to fill any role. Combat in this setting is extremely challenging, and a dedicated leader / healer would likely be appreciated by the group. The group would be perfectly rounded out by a fifth player, however we are looking for a sixth for days when we do not have a full roster, so the group is not lacking.

Character starting level & equipment: 10th level with 52,595 GP to spend on most things (no alternative rewards or boons without DM approval), with a free adventurer's kit to boot.
Character restrictions: Anything WotC-published is legal (including Dragonmarks!), bolstered by some setting-specific themes, powers and items (Badger Gun, anyone?).

Details of your scenario: If interested, I strongly suggest you PM or e-mail me and I will send you a copy of the Zeitgeist Player's Primer and Player's Guide. Read through them both, and if you're intrigued and like what I've posted so far, you're welcome to make a character and sit in on a game or two to see if you'd be a good fit for our group. Min/maxing is fine, but more importantly I would like my players to have fun and play characters they are intrigued by and who they think would fit into the campaign setting. Rules lawyers need not apply.

House Rules:
Nat 1s and 20s:
A die roll of a natural one will always be considered a critical failure, even during skill checks. Likewise, a die roll of a natual twenty will always be considered a critical success, even during skill checks, unless the attempted action is for some way impossible (a level one character could not jump over a mountain, for example, even on a roll of 20). We will be using tables to determine additional effects which may or may not occur for fumbled or critical attacks. Please see the table on the FG server for more information (or ask me!).

Feat Taxes:
All characters will be granted "Improved Defenses" as well as all "Expertise" feats associated with weapons and implements their character is naturally proficient with. Please see the Discord Channel for a more in-depth explanation (or ask me!).

Immediate Actions:
In this campaign, you may use immediate actions on anyone's turn, including your own, so long as the prerequisites (or trigger) are satisfied. Any readied action may still only be triggered once.

Allies:
I have removed the rule that makes yourself your own ally. Going forward, a spell or ability must specify a target of "you or an ally" in order for you to be considered as a target.

Melee Touch:
You may target yourself with "touch" -range abilities so long as the text of the spellcard would normally allow you to do so (ie, Lay on Hands).

Drawing Weapons:
The first time you would draw a weapon or implement in an encounter does not require an action. Switching weapons after this initial draw is a minor action as normal.

Critical Damage for Non-Damaging Attacks:
You may still damage a creature with your extra crit dice from the weapon or implement used to make the attack if you choose to do so even if the attack does not normally deal damage.

Jumping from Height:
Creatures ignore the falling from height damage from the first 10/15/20 feet if they choose to drop the distance. Falling damage is still applied if the fall is forced.

Teleporting:
If an effect would cause you to teleport, and that effect is not forced, you may choose to stand up from prone as a part of that effect.
If you choose to or are forced to teleport into hazardous terrain or at a height that would cause you to take damage from falling, you will not be granted a saving throw against the fall.

Character Editing / Re-Training:
As usual, you are allowed to re-train or alter one part of your character sheet every level up throughout the campaign. I will also allow major changes to your character each level up to level 13, so you may try new abilities, powers, even themes if you think they may fit your play-style better. Once level 14 is reached, however, your character is effectively locked in, and only death could bring about a major change.

Rations:
We will not be keeping track of food and drink your character would need to survive (unless we encounter an unusual circumstance during which your character may be starving or dehydrated) and we will not be keeping tabs on the expenses involved in maintaining your character in this way. I will expect you to spend gold related to extravagance, unnecessary expenses (alcohol, leaf of nicodemus, fey pepper included), and charity, however.

Ammunition:
We will not be keeping track of mundane ammunition in this campaign. I fully expect adventurers of any level to have the mind to restock before a battle, and to miss out is comically unnecessary and would be a detriment to the overall mood in almost any setting. If we are ever in a situation that limits or removes the amount of available ammunition, I will make that clear. Special ammunition must be purchased and tracked as normal.

Effect Responsibility:
It is fully your responsibility to ensure your combat effects and powers are being tracked accordingly. For example, if a power would impose a -2 penalty to attack against an enemy and you do not apply that effect, it is ultimately not my responsibility to remind you or to retcon. Of course I'm not an a-hole and I likely will help you out, but if we're several rounds on and the retcon would be encounter-collapsing, don't expect me to rule in your favor.

Clarity on Patient Revenge (Vekeshi Mystic Level 10 Benefit):
If you can see an enemy at any point during your turn, and end your turn without taking a hostile action (determined on a case by case basis), you gain Resist 10 all (15 at 21st level). This resistance lasts until you attack, or until the end of your next turn, whichever comes first.