PDA

View Full Version : Performance Feedback

Famine
April 13th, 2020, 14:11
Greets,

I'm a long time customer of Classic. Just made the switch to Unity. I understand it's still in public beta / early release etc.

Specs

Windows 10 64-bit, Single Display
Old i3 CPU (2-cores) at 3.30GHz, 8GB of ram, OC mobo, 2 year old ATI GFX (latest drivers), SSD drives for OS and FGU, 7200RPM drives for other games

General Feedback

Both Classic and Unity, at least for me, have always had major performance issues with retrieving/loading and saving data to disk. At least that's my assumption of why it's hanging so much between both versions of the game.

For example, loading the module for the first time takes a very long time. Then once loaded, just by myself with no other connections, hangs on various interactions with the data. Like, loading the items for the first time will hang, but not hang therefore after the first load. Copying a item by drag and dropping it on the list will always hang to make a copy. Editing groups will hang and the same with saving them.

While the hangs are maybe 10 to 20 seconds a piece, they all add up to make the client feel extremely clunky for me. It was similar in Classic as well.

I feel like most of this is all tied to how the client reads, writes, and renders data to the client. Like, it's reading way more than what it needs to display to the client based on how the data is read and wrote behind the scenes. I see a lot of XML and various other formats in the source and feel like there maybe isn't a proper database system that is actually normalizing the data for the application to help ensure it's getting to the data it needs versus the data it doesn't need. At least that is my assumption on why it's hanging the most because it's certainly not rendering a lot of pixels or doing a lot of computation just to read a list of items from the client. It has to be a data related problem in reading the data into memory and displaying it to the end user.

So, I wondering, if this is something the team is looking into and or maybe have any ways for people like me to improve the performance?

Famine
April 13th, 2020, 15:36
Below is an example of how long it takes just to list the images/maps.

Pretty much the same experience across the board on items, npcs, etc. Some sooner than others. Please note, the program I used to record this is a gif recorder set at around 10 FPS. The stuttering of my mouse is not indictive of the performance issues. Just the FPS I set it to in order to make the gif small in size. I am moving my mouse to show I am still fluid during loading, but obviously hanging with client as it loads the list into memory.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33600&d=1586788572

4wire
April 13th, 2020, 15:39
Below is an example of how long it takes just to list the images/maps.

Pretty much the same experience across the board on items, npcs, etc. Some sooner than others.

My FGC is fast and FGU on that same machine is painful for "images and maps". I have found that running FGU as admin makes it better. Maybe you want to try that.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 17:17
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure the devs appreciate it. Performance is a know issue and something they are addressing.

superteddy57
April 13th, 2020, 18:36
As LordEntrails has mentioned, we do appreciate feedback and appreciate sharing your experiences with FGU. It's the best way for us to know what is affecting the community. Network stability is currently our highest priority and will address performance in due time.