PDA

View Full Version : What comes with a purchase

Virtual
April 13th, 2020, 07:08
I am totally new (2nd post) so please take this as a real question not trolling.

When I buy something like the players handbook do I get a pdf copy or some copy of the the information that I could read.

Let’s say I did not own the players handbook. Am I able to get all the players handbook info from what I buy here..

It also looks like if I buy it then all my players will have access to that info to build their characters.

Thanks

Imagix
April 13th, 2020, 07:19
You do not get a PDF.

Karnas
April 13th, 2020, 07:34
You don't get a PDF, although entire text of the book is hidden within the module in reference section of the library - it's not exactly PDF, but close, since it's largely constrained by third-party licencing agreements that FG team has to sign to be able to sell books this way.

So when you buy FG version of let's say Player's Handbook, updater downloads the module, you load it from the library in FG application, and from that point on you game has all classes and features from PHB installed and ready to use.
When players join your game, they load your version of PHB, and have the same options - although I believe they'll have to click on it in the Library to load it properly, for sake of speeding up connection a bit.
Some of pieces still would be unavailable to players, like monster listings from Monster Manual, however you an always share them manually, either by clicking share on the monster, or just dragging whatever you want into the chat window.

But generally yes. You buy PHP, players join your game, and they are able to make characters with your book.
(Important note though, when you close the server for the day, the book stays with you, players don't keep it, they can make characters only while they're joined to your game with your book)

Targas
April 13th, 2020, 09:46
I‘m afraid there are better ways with tools not using FG meanwhile, but that‘s a different story.

Virtual
April 13th, 2020, 13:08
Thanks all for the feedback. This is as I thought. I understand the business model. It seems fair that if I want to add more to my game (playing with a virtual desktop) then that will cost more. Was hoping I could have my cake and eat it too.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 16:26
Note that most (all?) things include a "Reference Manual" version of the PHB etc. It is an electronic book format that you can read page by page in FG. It allows search etc in it so you can quickly find content, plus you can drag links to your hotbar or make a story entry with shortcut links to parts you reference frequently. That along with all the FG database capabilities, much better than a pdf.

Virtual
April 13th, 2020, 16:28
Note that most (all?) things include a "Reference Manual" version of the PHB etc. It is an electronic book format that you can read page by page in FG. It allows search etc in it so you can quickly find content, plus you can drag links to your hotbar or make a story entry with shortcut links to parts you reference frequently. That along with all the FG database capabilities, much better than a pdf.

I wish this platform had a like button. Very helpfully.

Thumbs Up!

Nylanfs
April 13th, 2020, 16:34
It does, lower left of that post "Add to this user's reputation" :)

danman71
April 14th, 2020, 02:28
If you play Pathfinder and link you Paizo account, you DO get a PDF with purchase. Or if you already own the PDF a discount off your FG purchase.

Virtual
April 14th, 2020, 04:39
Thanks. True story I was setting up a Paizo account when I got the notification about this email. Maybe I am psychic :)

Thanks friend