PDA

View Full Version : No Dynamic Lighting or Vision Checking?

Morfedel
April 12th, 2020, 20:04
So I've been advocating FG over Roll20 for years, I love the automation. So when Unity started getting advertised, I just assumed that with the LOS and fog of war, that dynamic lighting and such, something that's been in Roll20 for years, won't be in this product. To be honest, it really surprised and disappointed me. I mean, I think that's a much more of a big deal to have than, say, the weather overlays they are adding in.

Did I miss something?

LordEntrails
April 12th, 2020, 20:14
The devs have stated hundred or thousands of times that initial release of FGU will not have light sources or types of vision, that it would only have center to center line of sight. BUT, that once initial release is passed, working on more advanced options such as light sources, incorporating game system LOS determination, etc would be very high on their list.

You gotta get the basics working before you move onto the more advanced stuff.

RunningHill
April 12th, 2020, 20:21
I've tried LOS and I felt it didn't do much more than fog of war did for my experience. All these nice looking gadgets that different VTT have makes it more a computer game than a roleplaying experience. I rather take a good campaign management system over dynamic lightning any day.
Dynamic lightning is something that get posted now and then. Might come later as it is possible to do in Unity and a lot of people are eager to have it.

Morfedel
April 12th, 2020, 20:33
Well, i hope so. Honestly, I do like what they've added, and the automation is superb, but knowing who their competitors are, I kind of expected them to close the gap in those areas where Roll20 does have more of: dynamic lighting, LOS (which they DID add), and voice and video chat. I think video chat may be much, but the voice chat would have been welcome, as would have the automation of each individuals lighting source and visual capabilities.

Heh, even making someone blind and "blanking out" the map would be excellent! :)

Oh well. maybe down the road. Thanks for the answers!

Morfedel
April 13th, 2020, 17:54
The devs have stated hundred or thousands of times that initial release of FGU will not have light sources or types of vision, that it would only have center to center line of sight. BUT, that once initial release is passed, working on more advanced options such as light sources, incorporating game system LOS determination, etc would be very high on their list.

You gotta get the basics working before you move onto the more advanced stuff.

OK the devs may have stated that hundreds of thousands of times, but not everyone reads all the forms and messages all the time. I haven’t been to the forums in a long time, and I’m not gonna search through hundreds of thousands of posts on the forums either. Chill out. Not everyone keeps up-to-date on everything, and that’s a great way to drive away customers with that attitude because a lot of people don’t ever bother going to the forums at all but they’re still customers

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 18:06
OK the devs may have stated that hundreds of thousands of times, but not everyone reads all the forms and messages all the time. I haven’t been to the forums in a long time, and I’m not gonna search through hundreds of thousands of posts on the forums either. Chill out. Not everyone keeps up-to-date on everything, and that’s a great way to drive away customers with that attitude because a lot of people don’t ever bother going to the forums at all but they’re still customers
Absolutely I don't expect everyone to frequent the forums or any other medium.

But I also expect people not to make assumptions based upon ??? nothing or their own wants and desires. I just don't get why people who don't pay attention to what the devs have said would think that FGU would have some feature. Because Roll20 does? Roll20 also limits the number of times you can share a book to their compendium. Should FGU do the same? Of course not.

Look, I'm sorry I offended you. I was more curt to you than I should have been. Being asked the same questions as has been asked dozens of times by someone who has not bothered to browse or search the forums or look at the product description gets frustrating. I hope you accept my apology. I'm sorry.

Morfedel
April 15th, 2020, 03:54
Absolutely I don't expect everyone to frequent the forums or any other medium.

But I also expect people not to make assumptions based upon ??? nothing or their own wants and desires. I just don't get why people who don't pay attention to what the devs have said would think that FGU would have some feature. Because Roll20 does? Roll20 also limits the number of times you can share a book to their compendium. Should FGU do the same? Of course not.

Look, I'm sorry I offended you. I was more curt to you than I should have been. Being asked the same questions as has been asked dozens of times by someone who has not bothered to browse or search the forums or look at the product description gets frustrating. I hope you accept my apology. I'm sorry.

Wow. Thats really impressive. I am so used to people escalating to flame wars. Thank you. Yes, I accept your apology, and thanks for being so cool.

And for what its worth, I'm sorry I didn't research more.

Karykzen
April 17th, 2020, 01:41
If suggestions are welcomed, down the road with the line of sight in FGU, it would be nice if you can have the NPC's hidden on the combat tracker but if the token falls within the players line of sight (LOS) on the map, the NPC becomes visible on both the map and combat tracker. If the NPC no longer is in a player's LOS, they become non-visible back on the combat tracker as well. I know this is beta, but wanted to put down my wish list.

Thank you,

LordEntrails
April 17th, 2020, 05:24
If suggestions are welcomed, down the road with the line of sight in FGU, it would be nice if you can have the NPC's hidden on the combat tracker but if the token falls within the players line of sight (LOS) on the map, the NPC becomes visible on both the map and combat tracker. If the NPC no longer is in a player's LOS, they become non-visible back on the combat tracker as well. I know this is beta, but wanted to put down my wish list.

Thank you,
The actual wish list is here; fg2app.idea.informer.com