PDA

View Full Version : Mork Borg Ruleset [Incomplete, Looking for collaborators!]

Valyar
April 12th, 2020, 19:51
MORK BORG, an artpunk RPG!
A doom metal album of a game. A spiked flail to the face. Rules light, heavy everything else.
MÖRK BORG is a pitch-black apocalyptic fantasy RPG about lost souls and fools seeking redemption, forgiveness or the last remaining riches in a bleak and decaying world. Who are you? The tomb-robber with silver glittering between cracked fingernails? The mystic who would bend the world’s heart away from it’s inevitable end? The world is dying. And you with it.
By Pelle Nilsson Text, Johan Nohr and dead people!!!

It is rules light, easy to run and has no chains attached, except when you have to drag your fat loot from the dungeon!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33785&stc=1&d=1587020741

I hope I have your attention now! Due to the lockdown and spike of games I run and play at, I felt some burnout and had to escape to some totally different system for a change. Suddenly I found myself extremely excited by this new game, published from my favorite company Fria Liga, and developed by totally mental people (in the good way :) ).

Without further ado, I present you the first release of the ruleset and a call to arms!

Release Notes:
1.4: Abilities/Combat frame added in addition to the default CoreRPG one. The attribute/combat rolls are against static DC 12 (normal and used during combat).
1.3: Character sheet layout update
1.2: New desktop decal added. License info updated. New strings.
1.1: Filters & Tables added to Powers and Gear/Items libraries.
1.0: Initial Release. Character sheet based partially on CoreRPG.

Things to do:
- Add desktop panels for Difficulty Ratings (optional for players) and dynamic roll reporting
- Combat Tracker to show weapons/hp/armor rolls for fast play

Call to Arms
I want to develop fully working ruleset, based on the CoreRPG for this jewel. I am half way there. Need assistance on the LUA part. Ping me if you can and want to help. :)

Information
Product webpage - https://morkborg.com/
Very good review - https://youtu.be/F7bJq_dwND8
Soundtrack for inspiration - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad_qMrqwLpM

damned
April 13th, 2020, 02:05
Awesome stuff Valyar
Id love to help but my plate is full.

Valyar
April 13th, 2020, 04:27
Thanks, damned! I hope I see it through :)

Valyar
April 13th, 2020, 18:13
After half day of work and extremely annoying pixel-level adjustments of the various checkboxes, frames and lists and strings of support text, the character sheet is now polished and ready for game. The ruleset now provides completely playable experience and I already started doing the module for the small but awesome content.

Still have to do the combat tracker and find time to move away from the CoreRPG Attribute/Skills frame, but this requires LUA dark magics that I have energy and capacity to handle at the moment. If someone wanna join, you know where to find me :)

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=33790&stc=1&d=1587022466

Valyar
April 16th, 2020, 08:20
The authors granted their permission to publish the ruleset. Release 1 is out!!!
Let the mayhem begin!

Valyar
April 24th, 2020, 14:00
The ruleset has been updated with the following changes:
1.1: Filters & Tables added to Powers and Gear/Items libraries.

Screenshot for the non-believers and other heretics:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34293&stc=1&d=1587733059
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34294&stc=1&d=1587733065

Valyar
May 2nd, 2020, 16:40
Small update today - new desktop decal that can be switched to when a Misery occurs!

Next steps are to make some proper rolls, so I can drop the CoreRPG compound ones.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34772&stc=1&d=1588433982

Bumgurgle
May 4th, 2020, 14:48
How can one acquire your hard work. Woke up this morning with a hankering to see what it would take to make a Mork Borg ruleset for FG. And voila! Here you are. Unfortunately I don't know LUA at all, but as I dig into stuff maybe I can assist?

Valyar
May 4th, 2020, 20:48
How can one acquire your hard work. Woke up this morning with a hankering to see what it would take to make a Mork Borg ruleset for FG. And voila! Here you are. Unfortunately I don't know LUA at all, but as I dig into stuff maybe I can assist?
Hey Bumgurgle,

I am glad someone will have use of the ruleset I prepared and is fan of Mork Borg!!! You can get the ruleset and XML templates freely from the first post. You download the .pak file and put it in <fantasy grounds data dir>\ruleset and the XML files are prepared example for character and one blank template to import for each player. I am still working on proper character sheet where you have dedicated fields and reporting in the console, but it is WiP and still unpolished. Screenshot is attached for hype :)

The project is in GitLab, I can grant access to anyone that is interested to help or they can get the files from the .pak archive and give me the updated content to re-upload.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34881&stc=1&d=1588621690

numy1448
May 5th, 2020, 16:15
Hey Bumgurgle,

I am glad someone will have use of the ruleset I prepared and is fan of Mork Borg!!! You can get the ruleset and XML templates freely from the first post. You download the .pak file and put it in <fantasy grounds data dir>\ruleset and the XML files are prepared example for character and one blank template to import for each player. I am still working on proper character sheet where you have dedicated fields and reporting in the console, but it is WiP and still unpolished. Screenshot is attached for hype :)

The project is in GitLab, I can grant access to anyone that is interested to help or they can get the files from the .pak archive and give me the updated content to re-upload.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=34881&stc=1&d=1588621690

Hey how can I help - this looks awesome! I can test etc for you. I'm not that familar with LUA but I am with other scripting languages and can help hack stuff.

Valyar
May 12th, 2020, 07:59
Small update to 1.4 that adds the Abilities/Combat frame to the PC sheet. I had this cooking over the weekend, but I think better to release it even with static (DR 12) reporting rather than wait weeks to figure out the rest.
Basically the reporting of Success/failure is hardcoded against DR of 12, which is the default target number in combat and normal difficulty. Hopefully somehow will find a way to add the desktop panels and use them to configure dynamic difficulty for reporting purposes.

@numy1448 - help is always welcomed. Fantasy Grounds is using LUA for scripting and XML for layouting, so you have to become familiar with both. The .pak file is actually renamed .zip file that you can freely open with 7zip or other program that supports .zip format. The ruleset is actually layered on top of CoreRPG, so many things are inherited automatically.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35225&stc=1&d=1589265799

MadBeardMan
May 21st, 2020, 12:44
Greetings,

I got bought the Mork Borg book just before the lockdown hit us. The chap whom bought it for me said it was right down my street, odd that he knows I love my Doom Metal.

Anyway, I can offer a bit of time on the scripting and stuff, not huge amounts as I have lots of projects underway but in the early days I got help (and still do) so I like to help back.

PM if you are interested.

Cheers,
MBM

Valyar
May 23rd, 2020, 16:09
Greetings,

I got bought the Mork Borg book just before the lockdown hit us. The chap whom bought it for me said it was right down my street, odd that he knows I love my Doom Metal.

Anyway, I can offer a bit of time on the scripting and stuff, not huge amounts as I have lots of projects underway but in the early days I got help (and still do) so I like to help back.

PM if you are interested.

Cheers,
MBM

I can only welcome this offer, this ruleset needs little work to make it complete! :) Will PM what I had in mind.

kking014
May 30th, 2020, 21:48
I can only welcome this offer, this ruleset needs little work to make it complete! :) Will PM what I had in mind.

Looking at running a game of this in the next week or so
Has anyone started on a module for it with the roll tables?

Valyar
June 1st, 2020, 08:48
Looking at running a game of this in the next week or so
Has anyone started on a module for it with the roll tables?

I have module that contains the whole book - items, spells, rollable tables and art/maps, but this cannot be shared due to copyright reasons. I have approval from the developers for the ruleset and the art necessary to support it.

The Goat Lord
August 22nd, 2020, 07:17
Hi there,

How's the progress on this project coming along? I'm a fan of this system and excited to try it on FG with my friends.

Thank you,

jp1971
August 23rd, 2020, 03:02
Hiya Valyar,

Thanks for working on this. I just wrapped up a custom sheet project for an OD&D variant over on Roll20 so have a bit of extra time on my hands. Are you still looking for a hand on this?

Thanks again—
Jameson

Valyar
August 23rd, 2020, 08:21
Hey jp1971

Yes, help is still wanted! :) I was extremely busy with other FG projects and work, so I had to put this on the backburner for now. I can provide invite to the project in Gitlab if you are interested in improving it!

@MadBeardMan I can't believe it was end of may when I thought to discuss enhancements... wow time flies.

jp1971
September 3rd, 2020, 13:47
Hi again Valyar,

Apologies for the delay. I was running a mini-con online last week and am just catching up. I did run four games of Mörk Borg, and there seems to be high demand for more.

I'm happy to help and have some time now. Do you currently have a backlog of improvements you'd like to see made? Either way, please feel free to invite me to Gitlab. I'll dm you my email address.

Looking forward to helping out.
Jameson

TechCommand
December 23rd, 2020, 18:57
Hello Everyone,

If help is needed to playtest please let me know as I have some friends that are looking for an alt game to play on those nights where the whole group can't make it for D&D.

Best

Valyar
December 25th, 2020, 18:36
Hey guys,

I am working on another project at the moment and might look into enhancing Mork Bork next year, potential candidate for Ruleset Wizard test run if I get enough inspiration from damned videos. :)

damned
December 25th, 2020, 23:52
Im not the most inspiring video creator - Im hoping the output will do the inspiring!

stmoha
February 2nd, 2021, 02:37
Love love love this! I successfully added the ruleset and imported the xmls -- BUT how do I get the other thematics? Like the menu icons / fonts / backgrounds?

Again, great work!

Valyar
February 2nd, 2021, 06:55
Love love love this! I successfully added the ruleset and imported the xmls -- BUT how do I get the other thematics? Like the menu icons / fonts / backgrounds?

Again, great work!

Hi stmoha, what do you mean by other thematics?

stmoha
February 2nd, 2021, 19:42
Hi stmoha, what do you mean by other thematics?

I figured it out -- I kept looking for the Morg Borg Extensions (Dark, Light, Gray, etc.) but I figured out that if I DESELECT any extension, I get the full Mork Borg thematic experience, meaning: the cool fonts, the cool menu sidebar, and an overall cohesive look.

Again, I LOVE this!

stmoha
February 9th, 2021, 17:31
I figured it out -- I kept looking for the Morg Borg Extensions (Dark, Light, Gray, etc.) but I figured out that if I DESELECT any extension, I get the full Mork Borg thematic experience, meaning: the cool fonts, the cool menu sidebar, and an overall cohesive look.

Again, I LOVE this!

Is there new or tweaked version of the character sheet that accounts for a HIT POINTS slot?

Valyar
February 14th, 2021, 07:34
Is there new or tweaked version of the character sheet that accounts for a HIT POINTS slot?

If you are talking about dedicated box for hit points or frame for that - not yet. I am occupied by other projects at the moment and considering the lack of people to play Mork Borg with I put this project on the backburner for now. I have plans for that as I love this boutique game, hopefully won't stay only as plans.

OneNublet
March 13th, 2021, 01:07
If you are talking about dedicated box for hit points or frame for that - not yet. I am occupied by other projects at the moment and considering the lack of people to play Mork Borg with I put this project on the backburner for now. I have plans for that as I love this boutique game, hopefully won't stay only as plans.

Hope so! Just picked MB up and pretty pumped to play a game.

If there's any way I could help you out, I would.

Also...if there's a little walkthrough on how to get this installed, I'd love it. Got the .pak file put in properly but unsure what to do with the .xml

azmodanakar
November 8th, 2021, 01:56
I am currently preparing to use this and run a few games. I am using the Inventory tab and just made Hit Points another form of currency. Not ideal, but working with what we have.

Stoopslife
February 8th, 2022, 14:42
I have module that contains the whole book - items, spells, rollable tables and art/maps, but this cannot be shared due to copyright reasons. I have approval from the developers for the ruleset and the art necessary to support it.

Hi Valyar,

Awesome work on this. Thanks so much for taking the initiative. Just wondering what's standing in the way of sharing the module if you have the permissions? Maybe I don't understand what you mean by approvals here.

I managed to get everything you have available and am super excited. Less excited about putting all the weapons and bestiary stuff in...

Like many interested people here, I am no help when it comes to LUA or xml. :(

MadBeardMan
February 8th, 2022, 16:36
Hi Valyar,

Shout me if you want some LUA help. I can share with you the code for the Difficulty Rating that I use in Traveller etc.

I'm finishing up some work on The Witcher Community ruleset, but can spare a few days here and there for this, the most Black Metal of all RPG's.

Cheers,
MBM

Valyar
February 12th, 2022, 07:01
I think I will have some time to update this ruleset and explore if I can make it workable with all those changes that happened in the past year. :)

@MadBeardMan - I will appreciate any snippets you can give to speed up the work! :)

rathen45
March 6th, 2022, 17:53
I just bought the PDF of this game. Looks amazing, thank you for building what you have so far!

Nakh
April 14th, 2022, 18:26
hello, I would really like to test the game, how can we access it? I can't find the link in the first post.

Valyar
April 15th, 2022, 09:05
I am working on ruleset update. Hopefully in the following days/weeks I will be able to provide an update.

Nakh
April 20th, 2022, 16:59
great ! thanks you

Naga
July 28th, 2022, 16:56
Hi. this ruleset available?

Morbid-Don
July 28th, 2022, 18:28
When can I summon this ruleset?

Malaith
October 26th, 2022, 21:41
Any news? :D

Johnny Opie
December 29th, 2022, 12:45
Checking in on whether this project is still live. I'd like to help get it over the finish line. Not much LUA experience, but I'm a developer, so could dig in.

FrodoB
May 11th, 2023, 07:48
I do not see a download link anywhere. Did it get removed?

Valyar
May 16th, 2023, 09:35
Yes, updates to CoreRPG broke the ruleset and I didn't have time to fix it.