PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some guidance on Coding Effects into a spell

james10872
April 12th, 2020, 19:32
I am in the process of adding the Grung as a custom race (5e). I was planning on adding a couple class features like Poison Immunity to the spells like the Rob2e modules and I am lost as to how to get the coding added. Can someone point me to a proper tutorial or post that could help me?

I thank you and my player with a frog fetish thanks you as well
James

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2020, 00:06
See here for effects details https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/884913/5E+Effects+for+Advanced+Automation

And these videos https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?41478-Effects-Videos-for-5E

james10872
April 13th, 2020, 13:43
Thank you, these are great. How do you go about putting these effects into a 'Spell' so I can reuse it and don't have to manually recreate the effects each time on the Character Sheet for each new character?

Thanks
James

4wire
April 13th, 2020, 18:24
Thank you, these are great. How do you go about putting these effects into a 'Spell' so I can reuse it and don't have to manually recreate the effects each time on the Character Sheet for each new character?

Thanks
James

I think you'll have to do this:
- create a copy of the spell
- put that copy of the spell in your char sheet
- add actions as needed
- close FG
- Open db.xml
- For each spell: copy the XML <action> </action> content from you char sheet XML to the copy of the spell in the XML.

You'll have to use your own copy of the spells in the future and not the ones from the official sources.

Spells modified like this can be exported in a .mod

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2020, 18:41
Actually it is easier than 4wire's solution.

Create a character (any character will do) and create the actions that you want in the actions tab of that character.

Now open the spell dialog from the button on the right and create a new group for your actions. Now drag the effect using the link button and drop it into the spell window. Once you are done you can export your 'spells' to a module and open that in any new campaign.

4wire
April 13th, 2020, 18:44
Actually it is easier than 4wire's solution that.

Create a character (any character will do) and create the actions that you want in the actions tab of that character.

Now open the spell dialog from the button on the right and create a new group for your actions. Now drag the effect using the link button and drop it into the spell window. Once you are done you can export your 'spells' to a module and open that in any new campaign.

Ah! cool! I guess I've been too often in the XML lately :)

james10872
April 13th, 2020, 19:39
Thanks to both of you. I knew there was a way to do it and couldn't find a clear answer anywhere.

James

Myrdin Potter
April 13th, 2020, 19:55
If you really want to save time and are willing to trade $$$ for the time you save, I always recommend Rob2e's Spell Effects module on DMs Guild.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/209256/Fantasy-Grounds-5E-Effects-Coding--Spells?affiliate_id=229540

If you look at that item, you will see that it is in in a few bundles. The overall effects coding bundle has pretty much all the standard automation you or your players would need and it very useful overall. I found it well worth the money.

james10872
April 13th, 2020, 20:06
Own pretty much all of the core Rob2e mods. I was trying to get the Grung entered as a race for one of my players and wanted to have a couple of their racial abilities ready like the Rob2e modules do it.

James