PDA

View Full Version : Los and emulating vision range

swrzy
April 12th, 2020, 18:22
Hi,

after some research and testing I realized Los is infinite. However I am planning a hexcrawly type of session and I would like my small island to be explored step by step.
Since I am new to FG in general I appreciate any advice - maybe there is a simple way to achieve what I am aiming for. Masking seems a little cumbersome however. I would need to unlock my map in game and manually unblock certain areas repeatedly. Considering the reactivity of the unity client and my rather limited accuracy skills I would rather not.

So I fiddled with the different Los options and came up with a grid of terrain lines. That would result in each "square" of terrain being revealed once my PCs entered. Close I guess. There seems to be some second type of fog around the lines of terrain once you leave it. Or maybe its just because of my GM vision, but the fog of areas already explored has some kind of darker tone around the lines of terrain. Anyway, Im fine with that.

Two questions:
1. Should I expect any performance issues with so much switching of sight? Los in general seems to work fine, allthough my GPU Fans becomes noticeable.
2. In a perfect world you could see in the surrounding squares too, but I cant really get my head around it. The grid just needs a lot of parallel lines. Creating each square by itself obviously is way too much work to use it comfortably and also creates strange sections in between.

Any ideas or corrections of my misguided thoughts are much appreciated!

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2020, 18:26
Hiswrzy welcome to FG.

See video two here as an alternative (use the mask in conjunction with LoS). https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity&p=492112#post492112

LordEntrails
April 12th, 2020, 19:29
You could use hex tiles to build the player map as they explore it. You also could use terrain occluders for every hex. That way they would see the hex next to them. And then you just turn off/remove the occulders for the hexes they have already been in. That way they can still see those areas. (or not if you want it to go opaque again behind them.

Remember, you can connect a second local client to your campaign to act as a player view so you can see what the players will see.

swrzy
April 12th, 2020, 19:33
Thank you so much. I had only seen the videos about occluders yet. Video two did a lot for my understanding. Masking does not seem so bad actually.
I am still not done with an automated approach though. If I keep the map reasonably small I can define every square of the grid as a recangle of terrain and get a vision range of one. Not something I am keen on doing for every map but for now worth a try.
However I will not get any diagonal sight. Hexagons should solve that, I think. Kinda. Drawing hexogaons does not sound very appealing so that will not do it either. I noticed the "duplicate paint layer as walls" function - is there a way to load an image onto the paint layer?

Edit:
@LordEntrails
Yes, exactly. I just need a way to get hexagons on the paint layer and it shouldnt be much work.

swrzy
April 12th, 2020, 20:30
So I tried to make use of the of the "duplicate paint layer" function but cannot make it work. Meaning anything I draw in FG will be converted nicely but the "image paint" option will not be traced except for the hidden lines I actually drew to get the selected image onto the paint layer. I guess only my actual input in FG is relevant for duplicating.
Any other ideas how I could speed up the process of making Los walls so I would not need to manually draw lots of hexagons?