PDA

View Full Version : DMing with FG

wildchild91
April 12th, 2020, 16:32
Hi all.
I'm new with FG and since I've started I read a lot about effects and I few questions.
Do I have to create an effect for each magic item that any player wears (like cloak of resistance and the like)?
How to increase maximum HP with the barbarian rage? The effect on this forum doesn't work on this side.
How to affect a strength check with an effect? Looking for the strength domain 1st level power effect, I don't want a dmg increase, but just atk bonus and strenght check.
Can FG calculate effects bonuses based on CL?
How to affect only certain weapon with an effect? Something like weapon focus.
How to affect with an effect the carrying factor?

Thank you in advance and sorry if you had answered at this kind of questions in the past.

Blahness98
April 12th, 2020, 18:01
Let's see if I can assist with some of these.

Do I have to create an effect for each magic item that any player wears (like cloak of resistance and the like)?

You don't have to. You can place the resistance bonus into the misc slot near the saves. You and your players will have to remember that they already have a resistance bonus for any spells that may improve them in the future. Same goes with a lot of the other magic items. If you think they might be affected by spell in the future, use an effect. If you can remember you have a specific bonus in place, then directly edit the correct box.

How to increase maximum HP with the barbarian rage? The effect on this forum doesn't work on this side.

Your play will have to adjust their HP manually. What I have my players do is use a line on their character sheet (like the damage reduction line) so they can keep track of what their HP is normally at. Otherwise, there is an extension by Kelrugem (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?48752-Base-HP-Box&highlight=base+hit+point) that adds a base HP box to the character sheet that just shows what HP should be.

How to affect a strength check with an effect? Looking for the strength domain 1st level power effect, I don't want a dmg increase, but just atk bonus and strenght check.

You would have to call all the specifics for that domain ability. I would say just used the effect "STR: x; DMG: -(.5x)" and replace both values with their proper amounts. You wouldn't have to worry about messing with damage until your cleric hits level 4. For a cleric between levels 1 and 3, you can just use the straight "STR: 1" effect. For levels 4 thru 7, your effect would be "STR: (Half Cleric Level); DMG: -1". For levels 8 thru 11, "STR: (Half Cleric Level); DMG: -2". This also assumes the person being touched has an even STR total. You'd have to play with the effects depending on who the cleric is touching. (That sounds bad for some reason..)

Can FG calculate effects bonuses based on CL?

Yes it can as long as you have the spell you are using in a spell class with the correct caster level, however, some effects cannot be done correctly. Spells that are based on every caster level, or every other (depending on even or odd) can be automated. So, your lightning bolts, fireballs, and other spells can have their damage scale and be limited by FG. Effects caused by the spell can also be done this way as well. There is currently no way for FG to adjust spells that have wording like "every three caster levels." Those would have to be done manually.

How to affect only certain weapon with an effect? Something like weapon focus.

Just build the bonuses into the specific weapon. You can adjust to hit and damage amounts in the magnifying glass of the specific weapon a character is using.

How to affect with an effect the carrying factor?

Depends on what you are attempting to do. For things like mule back cords or masterwork backpacks, there is a magnifying glass in the encumbrance section of the character sheet. You can adjust the strength and if there is a strength multiplier in the box that pops up.

Hope this helps. Post again if you have more questions.