PDA

View Full Version : Have a yellow instead of green circle around my server

vaughnlannister
April 12th, 2020, 14:50
Hi,

Using port forwarding set up, my players are now able to connect, but when they connect they see my server has a yellow circle instead of green circle around it, does anyone know what this means?

Thanks!

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2020, 15:25
It means that it's a game that they have visited before. It shows in the top of the Lobby which is the History section showing what games the player has joined.

vaughnlannister
April 12th, 2020, 15:46
Other games that I have visited before have a green circle (instead of yellow)? Could it mean that my ports are not completely forwarded correctly, so connectivity may be less good?

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2020, 15:53
I doubt it. Either your port forward is correct or it isn't; there's no half way house.

I may actually be wrong about the yellow thing. On my history the only one that's yellow is the one where I have connected via localhost. So yellow may mean that the DM is online but not in this campaign - I'm not sure. Red means not online and Green means they are online and the campaign is active. Of course this is all for cloud games and not LAN ones - so I don't know if being a LAN game changes things.

vaughnlannister
April 12th, 2020, 16:32
Okay, sounds plausible, because I'm using an old pc that runs windows to test the ports, so indeed this pc is local. It could be that people in other places do see it as green.

Also I found, that if I closed my ports and I tried to connect, I would get prompt message "do you want to allow fantasy ground to connect", then I'd push allow and I was able to connect without opening my ports, but perhaps this was only possible because the pc was in my local network?

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2020, 16:35
Okay, sounds plausible, because I'm using an old pc that runs windows to test the ports, so indeed this pc is local. It could be that people in other places do see it as green.

Also I found, that if I closed my ports and I tried to connect, I would get prompt message "do you want to allow fantasy ground to connect", then I'd push allow and I was able to connect without opening my ports, but perhaps this was only possible because the pc was in my local network?

No that's because you have your anti virus set to not be automatic.

vaughnlannister
April 12th, 2020, 16:39
Ah ok, and my ports don't need to be opened for local pc's? Therefore, it was able to connect without me having them open?

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2020, 18:13
No, ports are only needed for external connections.

vaughnlannister
April 12th, 2020, 19:46
Thanks!

Moon Wizard
April 13th, 2020, 09:20
Yellow is for LAN games; because we have no way to check whether a LAN game is running or if the network is configured correctly. LAN games don't connect to the Lobby server.

Green/Red are for Cloud games; where the GM name and campaign name are checked against the lobby game list to determine whether that game is running.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
April 13th, 2020, 10:15
Yellow is for LAN games; because we have no way to check whether a LAN game is running or if the network is configured correctly. LAN games don't connect to the Lobby server.

Green/Red are for Cloud games; where the GM name and campaign name are checked against the lobby game list to determine whether that game is running.

Regards,
JPG

Aha! Noted for future reference; and also.... now quite obvious :)

vaughnlannister
April 14th, 2020, 11:36