PDA

View Full Version : New Guy searching for a affordable way to get into D&D

raffelon
April 12th, 2020, 13:19
Hello, I'm interested in D&D but know not much about it and gameplay videos only help little to understand the mechanics behind it. So I was searching for a way to get the rule books on Steam and the only thing that seems to include them seem to be the DLCs for this program. Problem is that in total all the DLCs and the base program with ultimate license (so I could actually use it when I find a group after finding out how D&D works) cost 1 141,77€, I don't have over a k€ to just throw at something I potentially never even use beyond reading into some rules (that are also english only, though I can understand that translating everything would be a lot of work). I mean I would probably take the risk if the developers said: here is one big pack with all those included and if you buy them in one go we'd give 50% discount, even if that would still be a big multiple of the 20€ I'd be ready to spend on the information I need to decide if I just search for someone to potentially play with (but only if someone can clarify if 'hosting' a game works also as player or only as Dungeonmaster as I still don't understand what they have to do beside telling players what rules they're allowed to break...).
So what I hope to get from you is something like a link to a cheap or free (and complete) version of the rules (not missing over half of the options as I heard one thing's from this book and the next from the other one so that playing without all of them is always missing something important and preferably german) or a tutorial that actually explains in detail all the things that someone completely new to tabletop games doesn't know (well except things like Monopoly count as tabletop, then I have some experience, but non of that in roleplaying tabletop) or even an overly patient online group that wants to introduce a complete noob with likely some false expectations...
Also purse friendly alternatives would be appreciated as well as I really would prefer to have everything saved to my steam account.
Well, thank you for any responses in advance and I'll try to check my emails a bit more regualry in the next time, but even with COVID 19 I still have things to do as before (some more regular and some more irregular) so that could also be a complication for an online group.

Zacchaeus
April 12th, 2020, 13:30
Hi raffelon welcome to FG.

Given your situation I think you would be well advised to take out a 1 month subscription to FG. Included free in the software you get the Basic Rules and the SRD for 5e and that is more than enough for you to be able to read the rules, get familiar with how FG works and basically just play around with it. Currently you are also getting the adventure Lost Mine of Phandelver free (for a limited time it will end in a few weeks) so you can have a look around that too.

If you don't find it a good fit then you can cancel the sub and get your money back under Smiteworks no quibble 30 day money back guarantee.

You do not need to buy all of the books. To run games you only really need an adventure and the player's Handboook. See this post for more information https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?32987-What-do-I-need-to-play-5e

There's also a lot of videos and other information linked here. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information

raffelon
April 12th, 2020, 13:37
Thank for your answer Zacchaeus, but subscription are for generally out of question as I first have a hard time to make them (I would have to go to my bank to set up a regular thing as I don't link my bank account to paypal or even onlinebanking) and then when I want to cancel it, it takes several years (wanted to cancel my only ever subscription over 5 years ago and still haven't done it...)
Still I'll look into the links as that's the most promising thing I've got so far.

damned
April 12th, 2020, 13:44
Here is a cut down version of the rules (in English) for free: https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/basicrules

raffelon
April 12th, 2020, 13:44
Thanks, this will take me a while (especially in english) but it seems to be exactly what I was searching for.

damned
April 12th, 2020, 14:37
Also look here:
https://www.dnddeutsch.de/srd/

GavinRuneblade
April 12th, 2020, 18:40
Wizards is offering a lot of free material this week specifically, and on the page is a link to the DMsGuild's list of even more free materials:
https://dnd.wizards.com/remote/freematerial

Beothul
April 23rd, 2020, 23:41
speaking of the free material on Wizards' website, how exactly do we get that here? I see they posted in the last couple weeks that Forge of Fury and Sunless Citidel modules are free on FG but I can't find any reference to that here on the FG software or here in the forums. Any help much appreciated.

LordEntrails
April 23rd, 2020, 23:48
speaking of the free material on Wizards' website, how exactly do we get that here? I see they posted in the last couple weeks that Forge of Fury and Sunless Citidel modules are free on FG but I can't find any reference to that here on the FG software or here in the forums. Any help much appreciated.
Update FG. It will then be available in your Modules Activation window.

DK1138
April 24th, 2020, 02:08
The free rules that have been posted here will be wonderful and hopefully you can translate them so you can more easily understand them. An ultimate license is wonderful if you don't want all of your players to have to pay but it is more expensive. I found watching D&D tutorials by WASD20 on youtube helpful and Fantasy Grounds tutorials by Digital Dungeon Master are also great. Digital Dungeon Master also has good Fantasy Grounds play sessions too. As others have said, this is a great time to get free content at https://dnd.wizards.com/remote/freematerial . While the Fantasy Grounds modules will expire the other content is yours to keep. I am running the free Lost Mine of Phandelver module at the moment (I am new to Fantasy Grounds DMing too) and am so impressed I will end up purchasing it. While Fantasy Grounds can seem expensive initially I think once you have made that investment there is enough free content for both Fantasy Grounds and D&D that you can spend very little and have years worth of fun with it.

Valatar
April 24th, 2020, 06:10
One thing to note, raffelon didn't sound like they were necessarily wanting to run a D&D game. If all you want is to learn about playing D&D, I recommend looking for a German-speaking group running a game and joining them, at that point you won't have to pay anything, if the GM is using the Ultimate version, or will only have to pay for the basic version if the GM doesn't have Ultimate. Most groups would be happy to show a new player how to play.