PDA

View Full Version : FG-Character Converter/Import Hero lab characters

Vokar
April 12th, 2020, 01:04
I just bought FG today when I saw you can import characters from Hero Lab. I am unable to locate the Character Converter Utility with my FGU Ultimate.

I have looked all over for my answer. I'm sorry if I have missed this question located some other place.

damned
April 12th, 2020, 01:27
Welcome Vokar

The utility is included with FGC but FGU.
Over time HL and FG formats have changed and the character imports are not as accurate as they used to be.
The limited demand for the tool has meant that it has not been a priority for FGU and the devs have suggested it might not ever be built for FGU.

Vokar
April 12th, 2020, 01:45
Welcome Vokar

The utility is included with FGC but FGU.
Over time HL and FG formats have changed and the character imports are not as accurate as they used to be.
The limited demand for the tool has meant that it has not been a priority for FGU and the devs have suggested it might not ever be built for FGU.

Thanks for the speedy response.

Is it possible to convert my FGU to the older FGC so I may utilize the character converter?

LordEntrails
April 12th, 2020, 02:54
Thanks for the speedy response.

Is it possible to convert my FGU to the older FGC so I may utilize the character converter?
I think so but you will have to contact support directly at [email protected]

Vokar
April 12th, 2020, 12:11
Thanks for your help.
FG should make this knowledge known that they don't have this feature on FGU and don't intend to use it.

DontFearDaReaper
May 27th, 2020, 20:05
This is very, very disappointing news. The ability for us to convert our tabletop characters from Herolab to Fantasy Grounds was a big selling point for me. :(

Ibrene
June 4th, 2020, 08:37
I absolutely agree... No wonder I get multiple error messages when I try to import.

LordEntrails
June 4th, 2020, 22:07
I believe they dropped support for the converter because it was not being used enough to justify the resources. Add it to the Wish List and let users vote on it. If it is important enough to enough users, then I'm sure they will re-consider. (Though note they already have a character wizard in beta for 5E, so I'm sure that may color their calculations as well.)

schwai
June 16th, 2020, 20:46
One of the reasons I decided to go with FG in the first place was to use the converter for Pathfinder 1e. Even though we went with FGU instead of FGC, I was able to convert using the tool into xml. The characters were able to be used in FGU. There were modifications made after the import. Was it perfect? No, but it did save a lot if time without having to start from scratch. Having been on Hero Labs for 10+ years, I hope they plan to support the tool for the future. I understand the support isn't as big as 5e, but pathfinder 2e is still growing for now and some of us are not changing to it.

ChipDancer
July 16th, 2020, 16:43
If it is true that Fantasy Grounds has dropped support for importing characters from Hero Labs then I am out some serious $$$$$ as I just picked up the Ultimate license and the books for Pathfinder!

Moon Wizard
July 16th, 2020, 18:36
We are no longer providing support and maintenance for the HL import tool; though it is still available as is.

Also, we offer a 30 day money back guarantee on all purchases from the FG web store, so you can decide whether FG is the right fit for your game.

Regards,
JPG

helix1966
October 5th, 2020, 18:31
There are a lot of places in this virtual landscape that say it's available, but no places that say where it is available or provides a link. The /utilities folder in appData is empty, cold, and dark. So, is what run down backwater of this forum might one find this lonely, broken, and unsupported character importer? And, please, if you say, "just search for 'character importer' and there it is," know that there is no place in this digital universe that you can hide :).

Trenloe
October 5th, 2020, 19:20
There are a lot of places in this virtual landscape that say it's available, but no places that say where it is available or provides a link. The /utilities folder in appData is empty, cold, and dark.
Welcome to the FG forums.

The importer only comes installed in the \utilities directory with Fantasy Grounds Classic, not with Fantasy Grounds Unity.

HWCarver
February 23rd, 2021, 11:13
I agree with this and the point that both PF2e is still growing. I'm seeing a steady supply of 'play in this one-shot to check out Pathfinder' LFPs in Discord, Roll20, and here.

Seems
June 3rd, 2021, 03:12
This is immensely frustrating. As someone who used the character importer in FGC and then switched to FGU I don't know why we can't at least get a download link to the importer. FG's capacity as a character creator is fairly limited, and I (and all my players) relied on Hero Lab to get around this. And, of course, I'm way past the 30 day money back guarantee as I was able to transfer all of my existing PCs from my FGC campaign.

damned
June 3rd, 2021, 03:52
You can use the importer into FGC if you really want to use it
Then export and import into FGU

loganstarr
July 21st, 2021, 00:14
If it is true that Fantasy Grounds has dropped support for importing characters from Hero Labs then I am out some serious $$$$$ as I just picked up the Ultimate license and the books for Pathfinder!

Just install the classic demo and the converter comes with it

Blightana
February 14th, 2022, 20:40
Yes PLEASE Bring back importer support and implement it in unity, also it should support Hero Lab, Beyond, and Aurora.

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2022, 21:36
Yes PLEASE Bring back importer support and implement it in unity, also it should support Hero Lab, Beyond, and Aurora.
Welcome to the forums :)

Feature requests are best voted on (and added when needed) in the Wish List; https://fgapp.idea.informer.com/