PDA

View Full Version : Totally lost Noob

Wolf74
April 11th, 2020, 19:14
I am new to FGU and I'm looking at tutorials on Youtube on importing custom images and every video that I have found must be for an older version as the steps and screen shots are not matching up. What I want to do is change the token for some custom NPCs that I created and put them in to a map which I also need to learn the ins and outs. Any guidance or pointers on finding the correct information would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong spot, new here and I couldn't see a better place.

Zacchaeus
April 11th, 2020, 19:21
Hi Wolf74 welcome to FG.

Are you using Fantasy Grounds Unity or Fantasy Grounds Classic - and what ruleset are we talking about?

Wolf74
April 11th, 2020, 19:23
I'm using Unity and for 5E. The map and icon thing has me stumped, the rest has been okay.

LordEntrails
April 11th, 2020, 19:24
From the help menu is a Wiki (New) link and you can search images there.
Though 95% of FGC and FGU are the same, images are not. If you search Yout Tube for 'Fantasy Grounds Unity' you will find some videos for FGU and images.

Zacchaeus
April 11th, 2020, 19:34
See the first video in this series about how to get an image into your campaign https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity&p=492112#post492112

Steve Geddes
April 12th, 2020, 09:12
I am new to FGU and I'm looking at tutorials on Youtube on importing custom images and every video that I have found must be for an older version as the steps and screen shots are not matching up. What I want to do is change the token for some custom NPCs that I created and put them in to a map which I also need to learn the ins and outs. Any guidance or pointers on finding the correct information would be much appreciated.

Sorry if this is the wrong spot, new here and I couldn't see a better place.
I’m new too and the number of YouTube videos which are the same but look different is confusing me too. I’m hoping that as FGU becomes the new norm, things will gradually shift.

The two versions might be “nearly the same” but as a newcomer you never know which differences are important and which are merely cosmetic.

My experiences (over just the last few weeks) are definitely building my intuitions though. I’m very pleased at the things one can do, once one gets familiar with the software. :)

LordEntrails
April 12th, 2020, 16:39
Most of the visually difference you see int eh videos actually has to do with different themes being used. Each ruleset has a theme or three, and then people make their own. So the look of FG is more dependent upon that than the actual FGC or FGU that is being used.

It's understandably confusing though :|

Wolf74
April 12th, 2020, 22:37
Thank you for the responses, when I get time I will sit down with the wiki and the videos. I thought that it was the theme as well but I switched around to a few and the maps and images still did not work for me, this process is not very intuitive.

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 01:03
Consider taking a class at FG College. Free and friendly, and very useful.

GavinRuneblade
April 13th, 2020, 05:32
Thank you for the responses, when I get time I will sit down with the wiki and the videos. I thought that it was the theme as well but I switched around to a few and the maps and images still did not work for me, this process is not very intuitive.

Keep asking questions and we'll keep answering them.

Wolf74
April 13th, 2020, 13:08
That video was perfect and I learnt after how to add that image to as custom NPC, once I'm through the learning curve that will be fantastic software!

Another question/topic if you guys don't mind, I would like to know more about creating custom fight scenarios with maps. Is there a good video for this?

Also I looked for the wiki under Help but I must be looking in the wrong spot, is it with the load screen before I go in to my campaign?

LordEntrails
April 13th, 2020, 16:23
In FG fight scenes are called "Encounters".
Their is a button for it on the side plus info on the wiki etc. Sorry I don't have a link for you right off. But if you have trouble finding let us know or wait a little more and someone else will have time to look one up for you :)

Trenloe
April 13th, 2020, 16:31
If you see a ? button at the top right of a window, clicking this will open the Wiki in a web browser.

So, in the encounter list window, click the ? button in the top right to open the Wiki at an appropriate page...