PDA

View Full Version : Does FGU only support rectangle reveal?

MNBlockhead
April 11th, 2020, 04:33
It seems that if I just want to throw up a map with FOW and reveal manually as the party explores, my only reveal option is selecting a rectangle space.

Is this also the case with FGC? Is there no polygon reveal or paint-brush reveal or other tools to reveal areas that don't fit into a nice square or rectangle shape?

Tyrannosaurus VeX
April 11th, 2020, 04:59
EDIT: Nevermind.

Just tried ALT.

Anyone know why they changed the hotkey from SHIFT to ALT?

Kelrugem
April 11th, 2020, 05:44
EDIT: Nevermind.

Just tried ALT.

Anyone know why they changed the hotkey from SHIFT to ALT?

Yes, it is confusing that the hotkey changes compared with FGC; would be nice when both behaviours are aligned :)

celestian
April 11th, 2020, 05:49
Yes, it is confusing that the hotkey changes compared with FGC; would be nice when both behaviours are aligned :)

I never can remember the one in FGC, no reason that shouldn't continue in FGU.

;)

Kelrugem
April 11th, 2020, 06:13
I never can remember the one in FGC, no reason that shouldn't continue in FGU.

;)

hehe :D

Moon Wizard
April 11th, 2020, 06:29
As part of the switch to FGU, we tried to migrate all the shortcut keys to be somewhat consistent when used in different functions. There are only 3 keys, so there is overlap.

Shift = Append (click) / Proportional Resize (drag)
Control = Invert / Refine Movement (Pixel vs. Grid)
Alt = Alternate Function

Regards,
JPG

Kelrugem
April 11th, 2020, 14:09
As part of the switch to FGU, we tried to migrate all the shortcut keys to be somewhat consistent when used in different functions. There are only 3 keys, so there is overlap.

Shift = Append (click) / Proportional Resize (drag)
Control = Invert / Refine Movement (Pixel vs. Grid)
Alt = Alternate Function

Regards,
JPG

Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the insight :)

I was not sure if I should report that in a new thread, but it might fit here now, too. Now the clearing/hiding of FoW is on Shift and not Ctrl (as it was normally and would also fit to your answer because control inverst behaviour). But it looks like that control should do this because the rectangle turns to blue (rather than red) when using control as if it would emphasize an inverted behaviour (although Shift inverts it at the moment). But the rectangle is not immediately blue, here the steps:

1. add global mask and clear fow while pressing Ctrl (it will still clear it as written above). Rectangle is red
2. While still pressing Ctrl, clear again the fow, now the rectangle is blue
3. Clear the FoW without pressing Ctrl and the rectangle is still blue, but the next one will be red again

It looks like that the blue rectangle comes one time too late, so it's blue in the next procedure of making a rectangle :)

MNBlockhead
April 13th, 2020, 22:09
Sorry for the late response. But I wanted to jump back in and thank Tyrannosaurus VeX for helping on Discord and here. Was so happy to know that this worked.

As a follow-up, I wanted to give some constructive feedback and maybe get some tips to improve performance when using FGU.

I tried running a game in FGU this past Saturday, but scratched that idea right at the start and used Map Tools, because FGU kept hanging on me. I really want FGU to work for me as I like the idea of having all the 5e mechanics supported. But before I spend hundreds on re-buying all the WotC content again for FGU, I want to make sure its going to meet my needs.

I'm starting very basic. Just sharing a map and manually revealing it as the party progresses in the dungeon and throwing down some tokens. I'm not even trying to use any other feature at this time. I run two instances of FG. On one I host the game, on the other I join as a player. I put each on its own screen and I share the player view using Google Meet.

I can put up with the very long loading times when you first fire up the software and start/join a game as I would set everything up about an hour before the game starts. But just loading a map was causing it to hang. I'm wondering if others are having issues with FGU hanging?

Moon Wizard
April 13th, 2020, 22:16
Do you have an example campaign that you can zip up the folder for and provide?

Thanks,
JPG

MNBlockhead
April 13th, 2020, 23:10
Sure. Do you want the entire campaign folder? Let me know if you have a ShareFile or DropBox link I can use to send.