PDA

View Full Version : Exporting a map with LOS?

Verdigris
April 7th, 2020, 16:40
In looking through my FGU campaign data, it seems that all of the LOS data for maps are included in the overall campaign .xml. Another thing I note is that when I bring a map into a campaign, even if all LOS lines were made prior, or in another campaign, the LOS information is lost.

For example, in organizing my maps today, I deleted a small town map. When I brought it back in from assets, all the LOS data was gone.
Another example would be if I am reusing a battlemap that I have created for a second group, when I bring that map into the second campaign, none of the LOS data comes with it.

So, my question is, what am I doing wrong? I've watched the video in the pinned file, and my map LOS data doesn't seem to be residing in the stated location.

Zacchaeus
April 7th, 2020, 16:45
I'm fairly sure that deleting a map will pretty much mean that the LOS will get deleted with it.

LoS information will only exist in the campaign that you create the LoS information in. It will persist only in that campaign for any maps in that campaign. If you export the maps into a module then any LoS information will also be exported and you can then open that module in another campaign and use it with LoS in that other campaign.

pindercarl
April 7th, 2020, 16:47
In looking through my FGU campaign data, it seems that all of the LOS data for maps are included in the overall campaign .xml. Another thing I note is that when I bring a map into a campaign, even if all LOS lines were made prior, or in another campaign, the LOS information is lost.

For example, in organizing my maps today, I deleted a small town map. When I brought it back in from assets, all the LOS data was gone.
Another example would be if I am reusing a battlemap that I have created for a second group, when I bring that map into the second campaign, none of the LOS data comes with it.

So, my question is, what am I doing wrong? I've watched the video in the pinned file, and my map LOS data doesn't seem to be residing in the stated location.

The LOS data is stored in the image record. In FGU, images and assets are two different data types. The asset points only to the graphic data, i.e. the source JPEG or PNG file. The image record contains references to assets, LOS data, token instances, etc. To move images between campaigns, you'll want to export the images to a module and then import that module into the new campaign.

Verdigris
April 7th, 2020, 17:31
Thank you both. Excellent answers and I know where to proceed. :)

mir
April 26th, 2020, 09:11
Hi
Is it possible to export a FGU map (multi layer) as an image file or a map that can be used with FG Classic?

Zacchaeus
April 26th, 2020, 11:55
Hi
Is it possible to export a FGU map (multi layer) as an image file or a map that can be used with FG Classic?

I don't think so.

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2020, 22:29
No, there is no mechanism to render FGU maps to a single image file. The FGU images can be an amalgamation of many layers and graphics, as well as FX.

Regards,
JPG

tcrossbar
April 29th, 2020, 08:39
No, there is no mechanism to render FGU maps to a single image file. The FGU images can be an amalgamation of many layers and graphics, as well as FX.

Regards,
JPG

I suppose you could fake it by expanding the image/map window all the way up and zooming out so that the map fills as much of the screen as possible and snapping a screenshot. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Use GIMP to crop it and save as a jpg.

Eriwan
December 7th, 2020, 03:51
The LOS data is stored in the image record. In FGU, images and assets are two different data types. The asset points only to the graphic data, i.e. the source JPEG or PNG file. The image record contains references to assets, LOS data, token instances, etc. To move images between campaigns, you'll want to export the images to a module and then import that module into the new campaign.

I know that some assets come with line of sight pre-built in them, such a to create wall and debris. But when I export an image to which I've include LoS to a custom module, then if I add it back unto a new map from the asset's module's folder than all the LoS is lose. How could I then walled ships to only stamp new layers of them we the crew is encoutering them, instead of having all the boat always on the map? (Like I want to export those images with their LoS to use them as assets.)

Moon Wizard
December 7th, 2020, 04:13
If you export an image record to a module, then the LoS data is only in that image record in the module. If you load the module and open the image record that you exported, then the LoS data will be part of that image record. If you add the raw asset from the module, it does not include the LoS data, because it's just the raw image.

To include LoS data with the raw assets; it requires the LoS data to be transformed into a special LoS metadata file included alongside the image. That's what is done for published adventures to allow the modules to be used in both FGC and FGU; as well as to provide the ability for LoS to be added with the raw assets.

Regards,
JPG

Beemanpat
February 2nd, 2021, 01:35
(edit) I found the issue.....it was me. I didn't toggle LOS on map which then showed the occluders.....:bandit:

I've recently start moving over to Unity from Classic. I have a Map Module that I have moved from Classic to Unity, while on Unity I took some of the maps and did LOS; then exported to make a Unity Map Module. Then I went to the main campaign open modules and loaded the Map Module, but the LOS was not there. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in Advance,
Patrick

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2021, 16:17
If you open a module with images and then draw LoS on those images then the LOS data will be in the moduledb folder inside the campaign and not in the db.xml file which would be the case if the map was in the campaign. In order to extract your LoS you'll need to use the extractor tool here. https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGCP/pages/996645681/Developer+Guide+-+Extracting+LOS+Data+for+Modules

See also video sixteen here on how to use it. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity&p=492112#post492112

Figment16
February 2nd, 2021, 21:31
I'm still trying to experiment with Maps and LOS before I go hog wild. I have created a module for the maps I want share between campaigns and started adding LOS data to a map. I created the LOS on a new layer (perhaps this is the mistake?). When I import the module into an existing campaign, the wall layer is gone, and with it the LOS data. Also... the grid size keeps defaulting back to 50x50 instead of the scale I need for the map.

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2021, 21:37
I'm still trying to experiment with Maps and LOS before I go hog wild. I have created a module for the maps I want share between campaigns and started adding LOS data to a map. I created the LOS on a new layer (perhaps this is the mistake?). When I import the module into an existing campaign, the wall layer is gone, and with it the LOS data. Also... the grid size keeps defaulting back to 50x50 instead of the scale I need for the map.

Same answer as in post #12 above. If you add LoS to an image in a module you'll need to use the extractor tool to inject the LoS data into the module.

Figment16
February 2nd, 2021, 23:41
Kindly disregard my previous issue. User error. I was looking at the wrong map. :o

Zacchaeus
February 2nd, 2021, 23:57
Am I missing something? I shouldn't have to use the tool if I'm doing this in Unity and not Classic.
If you create a map in Unity with LOS then you can simply export the map from Unity. If, however, you have a module - no matter how you created that module - and open a map from that module in Unity and add LOS then you will need to use the extractor tool. This is because the LOS data will not be written to to the db.xml but rather to the moduledb folder and data in that folder is not exported.

Vhela
December 14th, 2021, 03:13
Not sure if the ability to more easily handle LoS/etc data on the module image was ever tweaked via a patch/update or not, but I made the mistake of editing images within the module this week, so all of my LoS, lighting and layer graphics weren't 'properly' exporting into the module and then loading via import into a new campaign. After reading this thread (ty to you all!), I was able to resolve my problem for an image with the steps here, but then I discovered a better one afterward. I just created new campaign image records from module image records, added both the 'master' and 'play' copies to the module for export and voila, works on import now. Perhaps that's the way it's meant to be done, though... I'm relatively new to map creation.