PDA

View Full Version : Journal Entry #2: Jack of all Trades

Dupre
February 5th, 2007, 14:10
Hi all,

As beta testers are aware, there's a separate patcher that comes with FG2. With this, you can easily keep your FG2 updated with latest changes to the software and also to the rulesets you have installed (assuming they are hosted by us).

The patcher is triggered from the FG2 launcher and the button will light up if there's a patch available so you don't have to keep hitting it just to check for updates. FG2 will work in offline environments though like previous versions, but it will try to perform a quick version check transparently against our repository when you start it up.

All this requires that we have some interface to manage content easily on our end, so we had to build tools for that. We've also been testing the local mode recently and you can find it's current iteration screenshot attached.

- The box at the bottom is a dice cup
- The list contains my 6 throws of 4d6 from which the lowest throws have been dropped automatically and +1 added to the total. The rules for these can be modified from the bottom part of the window.
- There's a separate view for points allocation and third view for creating rules for the points (e.g. the cost is one point up until 13, 2 points till 16 etc.)

Local mode screenshot (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/images/screenshots/screenshot0007.jpg)

Journey Onwards!

sunbeam60
February 5th, 2007, 19:05
The funny thing about FG is that when something's done, it's done right!

Nokameeno
February 5th, 2007, 19:32
Very nice indeed!

Sigurd
February 5th, 2007, 20:10
Can you set arbitrary ceilings? ie. Can you roll modify all rolls so that they cannot be over 18?

Bo

Dachannien
February 5th, 2007, 21:39
Holy crap, Dupre is 81 years old! ;)

Anyway, my question is this: if the default rulesets are subject to automatic updates, can we rely on a guarantee that no changes will be made to a default ruleset that would break a custom ruleset that depends on a default ruleset? What I mean is, the ruleset I use in 1.05 currently only contains the files that I've actually modified. The rest comes from the default ruleset. But if those default files are changed, it could under certain circumstances break my custom ruleset. Once 2.0 comes out, should our custom rulesets contain all the files they need instead of pointing toward the default rulesets, or can we rest assured that none of the updates to the default rulesets will ever break a custom ruleset?

grider
February 6th, 2007, 02:00
Updates ROCK!

Thank you...Please keep up the good work...

Lee S.
February 6th, 2007, 04:09
Happy dance anyone?

Tailz Silver Paws
February 6th, 2007, 05:24
I love the idea of an auto-patcher, its one of the most handy things I can think of for software. I always used to get so anoyed having to download patches and worry if I am installing the right one...

Am I going from version 2.556 to 3.67 or 2.1.457.... arrggg!!!

I look forward to playing with FG2.....

mr_h
February 6th, 2007, 15:38
Holy crap, Dupre is 81 years old! ;)

Anyway, my question is this: if the default rulesets are subject to automatic updates, can we rely on a guarantee that no changes will be made to a default ruleset that would break a custom ruleset that depends on a default ruleset? What I mean is, the ruleset I use in 1.05 currently only contains the files that I've actually modified. The rest comes from the default ruleset. But if those default files are changed, it could under certain circumstances break my custom ruleset. Once 2.0 comes out, should our custom rulesets contain all the files they need instead of pointing toward the default rulesets, or can we rest assured that none of the updates to the default rulesets will ever break a custom ruleset?

I've asked that question before and haven't heard a response yet :(

Dupre
February 6th, 2007, 18:43
I've asked that question before and haven't heard a response yet :(

We have tried to design the ruleset so that we don't have to make drastic changes to it in the future, but rather just add new features on top of existing ones. :rv:

Much thought was put into the default d20 ruleset in order for you to make new rulesets based on it by overriding only the parts necessary. We can't guarantee that the ruleset will never break anything that is based on it, but we will do our best to avoid it. If we need to make bigger changes, we can for instance deprecate (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deprecated) parts of the code and keep them in the ruleset to make sure older derivative rulesets keep working. And that's just one card up in our sleeve.

Nokameeno
February 6th, 2007, 19:01
Excellent news! Great forward thinking!

mr_h
February 6th, 2007, 20:45
We have tried to design the ruleset so that we don't have to make drastic changes to it in the future, but rather just add new features on top of existing ones. :rv:

Much thought was put into the default d20 ruleset in order for you to make new rulesets based on it by overriding only the parts necessary....

Actually, I was wondering about custom rulesets. IE, I have a ruleset for Top Secret SI...obviously you guys arent going to update that, but will the rule set (made in FG1) work in FG2...... :)

Dachannien
February 7th, 2007, 19:38
Fantastic, thanks for the answer, Dupre :)

Tailz Silver Paws
February 7th, 2007, 22:57
I don't remember if this has been asked or answered, but how will token management work in FG2?