PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about running a game with military vets only - Any interest?

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 10:04
I'm thinking about putting together a game for Veterans. I own Fantasy grounds Ultimate so no purchases necessary on your end. If I find a group, we will discuss times and details. I will handle any purchases for module assets etc. I'll wait and see what kind of feedback I get before writing a couple pages on what I would like, blah, blah, blah.

Vets only game...sounds awesome to me.

Peace!

GunbunnyFuFu
April 6th, 2020, 10:59
I'm interested!

GBFF

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 11:21
Right on Gunbunny! Consider yourself early to the party. It's you and I now. Let's see how this thing shapes out. I'll run it, doesn't matter what it is.

In case you care to share...

Service:
Years:
At least one reason why the last two stats don't matter:

Military brothers an sisters...I love you all.

Peace!

rangerdraven
April 6th, 2020, 14:55
Draven here,
I’m interested, Army, 17 years in, 5 deployments looking for a good team to banter and basically have a good time. Home on quarantine so time is open I’m on EST. Thanks

Jroy
April 6th, 2020, 15:58
That might be right up my alley.

Some of the best games I ever played were in the service.

6 years USMC.

Prefer pathfinder could maybe do 5e.

GunnarGreybeard
April 6th, 2020, 16:52
I'd be up for it, depending on day/time (I'm CST). Using FG Classic or FG Unity? Prefer D&D 5e or Savage Worlds although I have never played SW.

Army: 13 yrs; TN ARNG: 3 yrs.

bjdcolts
April 6th, 2020, 17:43
I'm down since quarantine has me on lockdown. Still in, been in ARNG now for 6 years have two years left on my current contract. I play primarily 5E but am willing to play any other system. PST time zone.

ChacoBlue
April 6th, 2020, 18:27
Service: USCG
Years: 5 active 16 reserve-retired

I would be interested in this game, Newbie to fantasy grounds, haven't played an tabletop RPG in..., well really LOOONG time - AD&D 1st edition

Tks

Jroy
April 6th, 2020, 19:08
I’m brand new to FG so I’ll have to learn the system but pretty sure we can work sometime out.

Might be enough of us for a couple games.

I’m in PST.

Crowgan
April 6th, 2020, 20:05
Neat idea JetMD! US Army vet here ('94-'02). I'd be interested, depending on time slot/details. Savage Worlds preferred (would love to play Tour of Darkness with all vets), though 5E is good too.

Rogue
April 6th, 2020, 20:25
Love this idea! I GM, prefer to GM, but a Military members game is cool!
Both Air Force and Army veteran, 4 years AF, and a little over ten Army and ARNG.
Pathfinder, Mongoose Traveller, maybe play in a 5E or PF2 or Starfinder. Up for anything actually.
Why those last two stats dont matter?? But they do...or they will eventually, if you live that long!

Jroy
April 6th, 2020, 20:34
Maybe op could post a poll to determine interest in various systems?

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 23:12
wow! I'm excited to see this thread develop some inertia!

I did 4 years active US Navy ('98-'02). I got way more out of the service than they ever got out of me.

I guess I'll start with the basics. I have an Ultimate version of fantasy grounds (classic). I'm not an expert on the system, but I know enough to put a game together. I just recently got back into D&D (played WAY back when as a kid). I am capable of DMing a game, but D&D5E is about all I'm familiar with right now. I have ALL the assets (including mood sound files, etc.) for Phandelver and can run that right now. I am willing to purchase another module if there is no interest in Phandelver. Also, I am willing to be a player should someone more skilled at the DM slot want to take the reigns. That would not hurt my feelings at all :)

As far as time-frame...I'm on lockdown for the month of April due to this COVID thing, so for the forseeable future I'm wide open. After that, I'd probably like to focus on weekends. I am located in the Central time zone (Wisconsin specifically).

So that's a little more info on my end. I think I'll let this chat thread bake for a while and see where it goes. I would love for several games to come out of this. I think there is a connection that veterans share that civilians just don't get and the thought of a Veteran's only game is just stellar to me. Hope you all enjoy your day.

Peace!

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 23:20
Love this idea! I GM, prefer to GM, but a Military members game is cool!
Both Air Force and Army veteran, 4 years AF, and a little over ten Army and ARNG.
Pathfinder, Mongoose Traveller, maybe play in a 5E or PF2 or Starfinder. Up for anything actually.
Why those last two stats dont matter?? But they do...or they will eventually, if you live that long!

Rogue, The stats don't matter line was a half-****ed attempt at sarcasm. In hind sight, I don't think it landed well. lol

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 23:22
Maybe op could post a poll to determine interest in various systems?

Jroy, I'm not terribly familiar with how this chat thread thing works yet. I will definitely post a poll as requested...as soon as I figure out how to :)

Rogue
April 6th, 2020, 23:37
Rogue, The stats don't matter line was a half-****ed attempt at sarcasm. In hind sight, I don't think it landed well. lol

I was wondering if anyone had actually read it!

fyahgawd
April 7th, 2020, 03:20
Wow, this sound like it would be a lot of fun. i too, had some of my best games while in the military.
ARMY
20.8 years ( active and guard)
Retired (the highest rank in any service)
Let's do it!!!!!

fyahgawd
April 7th, 2020, 03:25
Wow, this sound like it would be a lot of fun. i too, had some of my best games while in the military.
ARMY
20.8 years ( active and guard)
Retired (the highest rank in any service)
Let's do it!!!!!

johnshep
April 7th, 2020, 03:38
Haha, this is a great idea!! I would love to jump in a Vet game!!

John

GunnarGreybeard
April 7th, 2020, 14:30
Jroy, I'm not terribly familiar with how this chat thread thing works yet. I will definitely post a poll as requested...as soon as I figure out how to :)

Not 100% sure but I think if you edit your original post, then scroll down under the Additional Options section, you should see a "Post a Poll" option. I know that's where it is when you initially start a thread.

AtlasNova
April 8th, 2020, 00:22
I'm thinking about putting together a game for Veterans. I own Fantasy grounds Ultimate so no purchases necessary on your end. If I find a group, we will discuss times and details. I will handle any purchases for module assets etc. I'll wait and see what kind of feedback I get before writing a couple pages on what I would like, blah, blah, blah.

Peace!

Interested

Bleederpunk
April 8th, 2020, 01:03
sounds great if I figure out this frerakin program

Diomitus
April 8th, 2020, 01:20
I'm down

dberkompas
April 8th, 2020, 02:19
I'd like to try, if family approves.

Gulf War vet, SpecWar. US Navy.

Dave

swiggs74
April 8th, 2020, 02:37
Ex navy here 8 years 94-02.

I would be interested in playing. I can run pretty much any day after 7 est. as my shift is changing. This week or next.

I have played and DMed since AD&D.

I love story and role play over combat. I don't mind playing any class that would round out a party. I don't typically play the best race / class combo. I like to think out the box with characters and do different things.

Dragovon
April 8th, 2020, 06:51
I'm very interested depending on the date/time. Am on PST. Have gamed since before AD&D existed...prefer PF1, but would be interested in other things as well.

cardzrool
April 8th, 2020, 12:47
Sounds promising!
Long time off and on gamer since Red Box D&D. Last played GURPS and Traveller weekly (4 years ago), now getting into OSR (DCC and LL in particular) via VTT. Was actually scheduled to host/Judge a DCC Road Crew game before our FLGS had to shutdown for COVID19. Would be open to most ideas.

Service: USAF (Ammo)
Years: 85-89 (IRR 95)
At least one reason why the last two stats don't matter: stats? We don't need no stinking stats.

thavith
April 8th, 2020, 14:22
I would be interested. 9 years in the Army 3 active, 6 reserves. What time and game system are you planing on running?

Vaezam
April 8th, 2020, 16:14
Hey, if you still have room...I would like to join.
13 years and counting Army, and available just about any time of day/day of week.

JetMD75
April 8th, 2020, 20:23
Not 100% sure but I think if you edit your original post, then scroll down under the Additional Options section, you should see a "Post a Poll" option. I know that's where it is when you initially start a thread.

Got it figured out :)
Once post is live, it's done through the "thread tools" tab up at the top right.
Poll posted!

JetMD75
April 8th, 2020, 20:30
So, the amount of positive feedback for this has been cool to see. I will be deciding what module I want to run over the next few days or so. It will be a 5E pre-written module as I'm only familiar with 5E at this point, and I don't consider myself skilled enough at the DM thing to write my own adventure...yet. I will post to this thread when I figure out the specifics.

That said, I wonder if there are any others in this thread who may be willing to run their own vets only game? With the amount of feedback I've seen here, I would hate for only one game to come out of it. Please post if this is something you would consider.

Let's get all us vets gaming!

Peace!

Rogue
April 8th, 2020, 20:54
I'd definitely run a Pathfinder 1 game. Even have a home brew campaign all waiting and ready to go!

Jroy
April 8th, 2020, 21:40
I'd definitely run a Pathfinder 1 game. Even have a home brew campaign all waiting and ready to go!

I’m down for Pathfinder.

Count me in.

GunnarGreybeard
April 9th, 2020, 12:52
I went with D&D 5E since it's been so long since I played D&D Classic that I can't say I remember enough about the mechanics to play properly. That and my preferred system, HârnMaster, is not listed as an option.

JTM3469
April 9th, 2020, 15:57
Service: Army 11B4V
Years: 24 years

I have Ultimate Lifetime, Pathfinder 2.0 and D&D5E, with allot of E5 DLC

BoomYahtzee
April 9th, 2020, 18:07
I can DM a 5E game if we have an overflow of players. I live in CST And would run a game either Saturday or Sunday.

DungeonDave
April 9th, 2020, 22:45
I wonder if there are any others in this thread who may be willing to run their own vets only game? With the amount of feedback I've seen here, I would hate for only one game to come out of it. Please post if this is something you would consider.

Let's get all us vets gaming!

Peace!

I want to play, and I want to DM. And I super interested in playing Starfinder.

I'm trying to get back into D&D via 5E (last time I played was AD&D) and, once have at least enough of the system down to feel like I can actually run combats, etc. to start DMing. I have the bones of campaign set up and gobs of ideas, just need to get in a game and get my legs under me again.

Just need some 'train the trainer' as it were.

Oh, by way of vitals - USAF- 80-86 526X2 - Turbojet/Fan engine mechanic. (back when AFSCs looked like that)

fyahgawd
April 10th, 2020, 03:02
I must say that i'm so excited to hear from so many of our military brothers( and sisters? do we have any Valkyrie out there?) respond. i don't know about the rest of you, i'm very glad to be out and retired. but, sometimes i feel that the only ones that speak my language are vets. so i'm happy to hear from you all!
Go Armed Forces!!

DungeonDave
April 10th, 2020, 03:43
I must say that i'm so excited to hear from so many of our military brothers( and sisters? do we have any Valkyrie out there?) respond. i don't know about the rest of you, i'm very glad to be out and retired. but, sometimes i feel that the only ones that speak my language are vets. so i'm happy to hear from you all!
Go Armed Forces!!

Word! We do what we do/did for our citizens and I'm proud to have served. That said, it didn't take too long of being out to discover: Lifetime civilians.....don't think right...

Anyway, one of the best ways I've heard it put was a Sergeant friend of mine who was retiring when I was in my second year. At the end of his retirement party, I asked him what he thought about having been in.

He stopped and thought. Smiled and said "I'll tell ya, Dave, I wouldn't trade it for a million bucks..." took a long pull on his beer..."wouldn't do it again for a million bucks."

Nailed it.

T1Katana556
April 10th, 2020, 17:19
hi, I would be interested. Mostly play caster mage, cleric, druid, ....oh and was army

T1Katana556
April 10th, 2020, 17:22
hi im running a table top game on sundays here at home , but i just got FG this week, as soon as i know how... ill run some VET games.

Rogue
April 10th, 2020, 17:27
Im a sister. elder sister. Valkarie Rules!

Scorch
April 10th, 2020, 18:03
Great idea. I am interested, based on day and time; in PST. I prefer 5e. Cheers!

TiredOfTakenUserNames
April 10th, 2020, 18:25
I'm new here, but count me in, depending on the schedule. US Army '04-'12.

punisher5150
April 10th, 2020, 20:30
I am interested in the long run. I just signed up for a 5e campaign last week, so I probably won't be able to play until that's done. Interests: in addition to 5e: Savage Worlds, Cthulhu and possibly Star Wars and Genesys? Although not as popular as those on the poll, I think those might have some interest.

Background: USAF 1990 to 2013 (retired)
AFSC description (the code changed too many times to write here! LOL) - Guidance Control, Avionics
B-52s, AWACS, C-5s, C-141s, C-17s, tankers, and U-2s

Bro.T
April 10th, 2020, 22:59
Like the idea!

24yrs USAF. Some FG experience (a few sessions of PF1, Starfinder). Looking for a weekday game (cept Wed). Interested in Starfinder, Star Wars, Pathfinder1, D&D (classic or otherwise)(No 5E exp but willing to learn), Shadowrun. Well versed in both Discord and TS3. Don't mind typing either if text is the preference. Not a min/maxer or rules lawyer but I do prefer a PG-13 game. I'm EST.

fyahgawd
April 11th, 2020, 02:43
well, much love to you Miss Rogue ( I'm not taking the bait on that " Elder" part), glad to hear from you , coming from my birth state!!

Rpgsoldier
April 11th, 2020, 16:59
Army
20 years(retired)
I am looking to join a group, I have played a lot of different systems over my life, been playing TTG's since the mid-'90s, and I have even DM'd for several IRL groups. would like to join and even off DM'd for a group if possible.

sfcspencer
April 11th, 2020, 18:10
very cool! 23 years Army SGM retired/disabled. Also looking for game, any time and day with exception of Mondays and Tuesdays. Years of experience in D&D and fantasy grounds.

ebverhulst
April 11th, 2020, 19:59
I'd be interested in a 5e game.

(10 yrs Navy)

TroyLAHughes
April 11th, 2020, 22:19
I am new to FG Unity. But I have bought a ton of product and I am currently running Dungeon of the mad Mage with my core group via Discord. I recently lost my job in all this and have a ton of free time. I am interested in joining your VET group if you stilll have openings.

TroyLAHughes
April 11th, 2020, 22:21
I am new to FG Unity. But I have bought a ton of product and I am currently running Dungeon of the mad Mage with my core group via Discord. I recently lost my job in all this and have a ton of free time. I am interested in joining your VET group if you stilll have openings.

Dazedbear
April 11th, 2020, 22:31
I would be interested in this as well, I'm new to FG but have played some 5e before.

US Navy (03-07)

Rpgsoldier
April 11th, 2020, 23:34
I don't know if the op is still around or not, but there seems to be plenty of people around to start a group

GunnarGreybeard
April 12th, 2020, 00:12
Should be able to scrape up a number of groups from this thread.

JetMD75
April 12th, 2020, 03:00
I don't know if the op is still around or not, but there seems to be plenty of people around to start a group

Yes. the OP IS still around. :) I'm still trying to figure out what I would like to run. New poll incoming to LFG threads on that end. I have read several posts in this thread by others who are also willing to run a game. A couple of them sound like a better option than me as I would call myself mediocre at best with some things to learn still. I'll refrain from mentioning any specific names as I don't want to commit someone by proxy.

Peace!

Hagenland
April 12th, 2020, 03:51
I would be up for a Vet's group game. Need a group to play with, retired Army 21 yrs.

claycub
April 12th, 2020, 05:23
Alright COUNT ME IN!
Navy Vet - 6 years, USS SAVANNAH
DND 5e (2 years table top experience-Weekly) (3.5 4 years experience-Weekly); FG NOOB
AVAILABLE : -4 UTC (OHIO), Late Eves, Weekend preferred or dedicated day of the week.

Aiwha
April 12th, 2020, 05:49
I'd love to join, too if there is still room!

AF 5 yrs

Rpgsoldier
April 13th, 2020, 13:24
Would you like to set up a west marshes style group? This way no one DM has to always DM, and player groups can be made with whoever is available.

GunbunnyFuFu
April 13th, 2020, 13:43
That would be the way to do it. I'd be willing to run as well. I can run 5e (been a while since I ran it), Savage Worlds (run it all the time), Traveller, AD&D (currently running), or Castles & Crusades.

(2 yrs AR, 6 yrs INARNG)

GBFF

JetMD75
April 13th, 2020, 16:40
Would you like to set up a west marshes style group? This way no one DM has to always DM, and player groups can be made with whoever is available.

That sounds like a great idea! Although, I have to say personally, I had to google what this was. How many in this thread have done this sort of campaign before? What is entailed? I would be able to contribute a good amount of time to this sort of thing, but have no idea where to start. What makes for a good setting? All out warring factions all WoW style? Or maybe a guild within a city whose many members venture out occasionally to bring fortune and glory to the guild? Or maybe even several different guilds within a city? My mind is racing on this already.

I'm guessing there are several DM's in this thread who are experienced in this sort of campaign who could maybe take point? Or I could see about setting something up with some advice and guidance. Or maybe I'm missing the point...does there need to be someone driving the bus?

Peace!

sfcspencer
April 13th, 2020, 17:53
sounds like a really cool idea. find a base of operation and then go on adventures with a different GM each time. I would be willing to do that i run two games right now 5e on monday night and starfinder on tuesday nights. My monday group has been with me for 2 years now.... Just started the starfinder group.

All we need is a town and an empty world map. GMs can then make whatever adventure they want anywhere on the map. The party completes that adventure and returns to the town and then another GM takes the party on the next adventure.

Because of the way Fantasy Grounds works we would have to export and import the character around to the new GMs table, at the end of an adventure the GM would need to export the characters to "Discord" so the next GM can import then to his table. That could become and issue but with a training session that is easy to overcome.

We would need one GM to oversee the process of table changes, and to make sure there is a GM ready for the groups session, and to wrangle the players and the characters transfer.

The created world map would need to be updated and passed around to the GMs so that when one adds to the map a location all the GMs have the updated map, slowly filling out the world.

Discord would be the place to host the voice server as well as the world and character transfers, for those who dont know you can drag and drop things to discord channels. The Discord host could create a channel just for the GMs to communicate as well as a place for the finished GM to export the characters to from his table, so the next GM can import them to his or her table.

Bogget
April 13th, 2020, 23:18
Army 4yrs. 2 deployments

I have been playing since my teens, I'm rocking 5e now days. been a long time since I been a player. I still getting use to FGU running a game for friends. I love this idea for vets only so mark me down if you have room anytime cuz I have tons of free time like most nowadays. Also If you ain't Cav you ain't sh*t... LOL:D

Jedikia
April 14th, 2020, 02:10
definitely interested, many years RPGing, so new to FG I still have that new install smell......lol US EST here. weekdays after like 3 for a couple hours every other weekend after the lockdown subsides and most weekends during.

USAF SRAM Nuclear missile specialist...a bunch of years ago

claycub
April 14th, 2020, 06:55
Where could I get the best information about West Marshes style?

GunnarGreybeard
April 14th, 2020, 13:26
Where could I get the best information about West Marshes style?

It's kind of long, but you can find the explanation here: West Marches Game (https://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/)

fyahgawd
April 14th, 2020, 14:03
well, it seems that the "west marshes style group" will be a great option for us to start off with. But, in my humble opinion, looking at the number of interested players we have. i think we will still need to fire up multiple campaigns. what else do we need to get a session up and running?

Rpgsoldier
April 14th, 2020, 20:55
outside of setting up the group and coming up with common themes for the DM's to use. There isn't much to handle. Each DM will take care of whatever their running. They just need to be a sort of head to handle the macro levels of the world. SFCSPENCER summed it up pretty properly.

starting off.... we should either in email or voice chat try and get everyone together to work out common themes and the start point for the town and map. Decided system(s), and any ad hoc rules.

As for myself, I would just need someone to walk me through the Discord stuff.

jprowant
April 15th, 2020, 03:11
I would be game

pvault33
April 15th, 2020, 06:24
If you are still looking for more, I am interested!
new to FG, been playing DnD since the 80s. would love to join a 5E game
8 years and counting in world most powerful airforce.. you know the U.S.Navy ;)

Diomitus
April 15th, 2020, 11:18
So what're we doing?! Let's go get some!
Who's DM'ing?!
I'm ready to play!

GunnarGreybeard
April 15th, 2020, 16:29
I am interested but can't commit to anything atm. I'm running an every other week D&D 5E game and to be honest, after 3 years or so of running games, I'm getting really burnt out on D&D. Think I need to learn a new system, with Savage Worlds probably being the best candidate. Or if I ever finish my Hârnmaster 3 ruleset, I'll probably try to round up players for that.

Diomitus
April 16th, 2020, 01:50
Deleted

Diomitus
April 16th, 2020, 01:51

Peace!

Any word on a group?

JetMD75
April 16th, 2020, 04:40
Any word on a group?

Diomitus, I can only speak for myself, but I have recently purchased all the assets for Waterdeep: Dragon Heist. I intend to run this campaign as a veteran / active duty only game. Although, I need a couple weeks to get familiar with all the subject matter and get the campaign and maps/music all set up in Fantasy Grounds. I will be posting to this thread once I'm up and running and have a handle on things. This thread has gotten so much bigger than I could have guessed when I first put it out there (which I consider a good thing). We could probably fill a chow hall with games at this point. I've seen posts from several others in this thread who seem willing to run a vet game as well, though I don't know if any have pulled the trigger. Have a good one!

Peace!

JetMD75
April 16th, 2020, 04:54

So yeah. I think I would. I guess I'll try and take point on this until somebody more advanced with the time and motivation comes along :) I'm new to this West Marches thing, but let's give it a try.

I'm guessing the first goal should be establishing a pool of available DM's (i don't know...maybe 7-10 or so?). If any of you in this thread would be willing to contribute to the cause once in a while as a DM in a West Marches style campaign, send me a PM. I'll get a discord server up and running for communication. Once this group is established we can then, as a group, determine the particulars of the project? I don't know. I'm just spit-balling here.

I welcome ANY advice and / or constructive criticism. I just want to get the ball moving on what seems like a terrific idea. Hope you all have a great evening.

Peace!

Diomitus
April 16th, 2020, 05:25
So yeah. I think I would. I guess I'll try and take point on this until somebody more advanced with the time and motivation comes along :) I'm new to this West Marches thing, but let's give it a try.

I'm guessing the first goal should be establishing a pool of available DM's (i don't know...maybe 7-10 or so?). If any of you in this thread would be willing to contribute to the cause once in a while as a DM in a West Marches style campaign, send me a PM. I'll get a discord server up and running for communication. Once this group is established we can then, as a group, determine the particulars of the project? I don't know. I'm just spit-balling here.

I welcome ANY advice and / or constructive criticism. I just want to get the ball moving on what seems like a terrific idea. Hope you all have a great evening.

Peace!

I've never done west marches, but I've DMd before. If it means I'd get a chance to play I'd be willing to do some rotating DMing as well.

USMC 2007-2015
RAH

Zedbor
April 16th, 2020, 21:18
Howdy Boss Jarhead hear. 4.5 years in did a little overtime for Iraq1. EST for me. I have FG user licence and the D&D bundle so have most of the books. I am new to FG though.

greybeardgunner70
April 17th, 2020, 03:22
Hello all. 20 years, retired O, (infantry, airborne, ranger, blah blah... yes, I had to walk leaning to the left).

I prefer GMing gritty, realistic games. Currently running a PF2 campaign set in Harn and about to start a Mongoose2E Traveller campaign with some Altered Carbon homebrew. Would love to do a Modern campaign with some fellow vets who know an A1 from an A2 (pick your weapon system). If you are interested in my current campaigns, I have some room. Or if you are interested in the Modern idea, let me know.

Rpgsoldier
April 17th, 2020, 13:21
Anyone that is interested in DM'ing. Please PM the OP.

Once we have a few DM's in the bag well set a time to meet up and hammer out the details and start running games.

So lets get this ball is rolling, .....

GunnarGreybeard
April 17th, 2020, 18:00
Deleted my earlier post for now as we organize this thing.

DW11
April 17th, 2020, 18:56
I am fairly new to D&D and would love to learn alongside some fellow vets. I had 4 years in the army and got out in 2009. I hope everyone is staying safe, and hope we can get something going!

Zulkee
April 17th, 2020, 19:19
Old soldier/merc. here.....If it's on a Mon, Tue, Wed after 8 pm est am game. thank you

sfcspencer
April 17th, 2020, 19:47
set a pole for the best day and time for play and lets see.

GunnarGreybeard
April 18th, 2020, 05:03
Any prospective players, who are also "military veterans" that are interested in a West Marches style game, we are trying to organize something and invite all of you to join our Player Discord. PM me for the link.

Jroy
April 18th, 2020, 07:53
Thanks for the offer but am holding out for Pathfinder.

GunnarGreybeard
April 19th, 2020, 15:27
Thanks for the offer but am holding out for Pathfinder.

No worries. We just decided to go with 5e since there were so many votes for that system and we wanted to pull from the largest player pool.

BDaniel
April 19th, 2020, 19:45
No worries. We just decided to go with 5e since there were so many votes for that system and we wanted to pull from the largest player pool.

Might I make a suggestion? Instead reinventing the wheel with a West Marches Campaign, maybe consider an already established Community Campaign such as Adventures League. I think it would be a perfect way to organize play.

GunnarGreybeard
April 19th, 2020, 23:39
Might I make a suggestion? Instead reinventing the wheel with a West Marches Campaign, maybe consider an already established Community Campaign such as Adventures League. I think it would be a perfect way to organize play.
Understood, and there are a few out there, Sleeper Island being the one I am most familiar with, but this will be a Military Veteran only oriented operation. At least for now.

krycius
April 20th, 2020, 02:49
Id be interested if your still looking for members. 20+ yr retired Army. Played a ton back in the 80's and 90's but my career got in the way many years. been on FG now about 6 months and loving it so far.

GunnarGreybeard
April 20th, 2020, 03:23
Id be interested if your still looking for members. 20+ yr retired Army. Played a ton back in the 80's and 90's but my career got in the way many years. been on FG now about 6 months and loving it so far.

The more the merrier.

krycius
April 20th, 2020, 03:26
Thanks for the link, just msgd you before i saw this so you can ignore it !

GunnarGreybeard
April 21st, 2020, 18:43
For anyone still interested in getting in on this (we are looking at a West Marches type game for military veterans), please post here to confirm your interest and we'll get you the Discord information so you can be brought up to speed on things.

Belsarius
April 22nd, 2020, 02:51
Howdy Y'all, I was a ET on a Sub, if you all need more let me know

JetMD75
April 23rd, 2020, 09:26

Howdy Belsarius. I'm not sure what "ET on a Sub" means, but if you are interested in our Veterans/Active duty West Marches experirment, hit me up, or GunnarGreybeard. We'll get you involved.

Scorch
April 23rd, 2020, 15:30
For anyone still interested in getting in on this (we are looking at a West Marches type game for military veterans), please post here to confirm your interest and we'll get you the Discord information so you can be brought up to speed on things.

I'm still interested. 20 year Air Force Vet.

GunnarGreybeard
April 23rd, 2020, 18:49

I'm still interested. 20 year Air Force Vet.

Discord invite link sent via PM.

Axel11c
April 23rd, 2020, 19:17
I'm interested. what is the ETA?

Axel11c
April 23rd, 2020, 19:21
I'm interested. what is the ETA? US Army 11c 2 years

Loko
April 26th, 2020, 20:23
I am very interested. I am in Mountain time. I am available Days M-F and Nights Mon & Tues. 5e for me.
20 year USAF Retired Vet.

Roman Alexandrov
April 27th, 2020, 06:30
Navy
4 years

Central Time available Thursday-Monday after 2200 or ending before 1300 and Tuesday ending before 1700
new to fantasy grounds and discord
would like to play 5e with a homebrew class if possible; trying to playtest
https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LYcNCe6L10Lu-dP_i3t

GunnarGreybeard
April 27th, 2020, 15:14
I am very interested. I am in Mountain time. I am available Days M-F and Nights Mon & Tues. 5e for me.
20 year USAF Retired Vet.

Navy
4 years

Central Time available Thursday-Monday after 2200 or ending before 1300 and Tuesday ending before 1700
new to fantasy grounds and discord
would like to play 5e with a homebrew class if possible; trying to playtest
https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LYcNCe6L10Lu-dP_i3t

This game will be using the West Marches style format (no set dates/times) and with heavily restricted player creation guidelines using only WOTC PHB content. If either of you is still interested, send me a PM and I'll get you the discord link to join us.

April 27th, 2020, 21:22
Outstanding!

Seek, strike, destroy! Army Infantry Vet-Baghdad, Mahmuydiyah, Abu Ghraib. 20 years RP experience (Rifts, VtM/WoD, D&D, etc). Prefer 5th ed. Open to Rifts. New to Savage Worlds.

a bird
April 27th, 2020, 23:00
US Navy Airedale ('03-'11) in NC. I'd be up for a 5E game if the time works out.

Naed
April 28th, 2020, 00:42
I'd be interested. USAF Many years ago.

egraves1970
April 28th, 2020, 05:52
Count me in, former 10th Mountain.

GunnarGreybeard
April 30th, 2020, 01:32
Outstanding!

Seek, strike, destroy! Army Infantry Vet-Baghdad, Mahmuydiyah, Abu Ghraib. 20 years RP experience (Rifts, VtM/WoD, D&D, etc). Prefer 5th ed. Open to Rifts. New to Savage Worlds.

US Navy Airedale ('03-'11) in NC. I'd be up for a 5E game if the time works out.

I'd be interested. USAF Many years ago.

Count me in, former 10th Mountain.

I mentioned this earlier and reposting so all of you are aware. This game will be using the West Marches style format (no set dates/times) and with heavily restricted player creation guidelines using only WOTC PHB content. If any of you four are still interested, send me a PM and I'll get you the discord link to join us.

Naed
April 30th, 2020, 17:28
FG Classic or Unity?

JetMD75
April 30th, 2020, 22:53
FG Classic or Unity?

Classic

GunnarGreybeard
May 1st, 2020, 04:24
FG Classic or Unity?

I sent you a discord invite link via PM.

djmjaustin
May 2nd, 2020, 06:13
Never played 5e online. Definitely interested. Now a civilian in Riyadh on lockdown.

Service: Army
Years: 1989-2018
At least one reason why the last two stats don't matter: I served like any other vet. Loved it. Hated it. Nuff said.

JetMD75
May 2nd, 2020, 17:29
Never played 5e online. Definitely interested. Now a civilian in Riyadh on lockdown.

Service: Army
Years: 1989-2018
At least one reason why the last two stats don't matter: I served like any other vet. Loved it. Hated it. Nuff said.

Invite sent through PM

greybeardgunner70
September 24th, 2020, 01:57
Retired army officer with plenty of GM time, looking for PF2 players:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62195-LFP-Need-2-3-Weeknight-Game-WED-EST-Pathfinder2-Agents-of-Edgewatch

Lord Jeff
September 24th, 2020, 03:25
Yes. 26year retired veteran.
I'm new to FG. Bought FG Unity Ultimate. Need to get experience. Been years since I have played, but I'm retired and very flexible.
Please contact me.
_jeff

mightymouseae
September 24th, 2020, 05:37
I would SOOOOOOO be down for that! We are a different breed of people and i think a vet only campaign would be awesome.
Service: 8yrs Texas Army National guard
Deployment: 367 days in Iraq doing private security for DOD personnel
I am CST
Oh and I only have 5E experience.

GunnarGreybeard
September 24th, 2020, 14:33
Been years since I have played, but I'm retired and very flexible.

I would SOOOOOOO be down for that!

I'm at work right now but will message you the discord link when I get home tonight, if someone else doesn't do that before then.

JetMD75
September 24th, 2020, 15:25
I'm at work right now but will message you the discord link when I get home tonight, if someone else doesn't do that before then.

PM's sent with link to discord :)

pathiss
September 24th, 2020, 15:56
Disabled Vet here as well, 8404 FMF Corpsman. Send me a link, I would like to check it out.

Shannara
September 24th, 2020, 16:34
USAF, served 1985-1990 - DLI in Monterey, CA - Goodfellow AFB, TX - Iraklion ASN, Crete - Ft Meade, MD

I'd be interested - experience in all D&D editions except 4th, some Pathfinder 1E but pretty new to FantasyGrounds.

KrakkaKilla
September 24th, 2020, 17:09
if you still need folks, 16yr Army 1995-2010, then contracting, now back as a Fed.

GunnarGreybeard
September 25th, 2020, 01:53
if you still need folks, 16yr Army 1995-2010, then contracting, now back as a Fed.

USAF, served 1985-1990 - DLI in Monterey, CA - Goodfellow AFB, TX - Iraklion ASN, Crete - Ft Meade, MD
I'd be interested - experience in all D&D editions except 4th, some Pathfinder 1E but pretty new to FantasyGrounds.

Disabled Vet here as well, 8404 FMF Corpsman. Send me a link, I would like to check it out.

I've sent PM's to each of you with a link to the "MilVet West Marches Player Server" discord channel. Should be valid for 24 hours.

JetMD75
September 25th, 2020, 02:58
I've sent PM's to each of you with a link to the "MilVet West Marches Player Server" discord channel. Should be valid for 24 hours.

Thanks gunnar!

Raven Darkstone
September 25th, 2020, 16:55
Greetings, 20 year retired (2004) Army vet. Is this for various DMs to run and play? I usually run a game on Saturday, but I am looking to try and get into a 5E game. I haven't gotten a chance to be a player in a game in well over 7 years. Unfortunately I have been one of those "Forever DMs"

GunnarGreybeard
September 25th, 2020, 18:20
Greetings, 20 year retired (2004) Army vet. Is this for various DMs to run and play? I usually run a game on Saturday, but I am looking to try and get into a 5E game. I haven't gotten a chance to be a player in a game in well over 7 years. Unfortunately I have been one of those "Forever DMs"

You can play or GM, or both.

PM sent with the discord channel. Should be valid for 24 hours.

ebverhulst
September 26th, 2020, 23:28
If you're still open for players... USN veteran (1995-2005).

GunnarGreybeard
September 27th, 2020, 15:36
If you're still open for players... USN veteran (1995-2005).

Can always use new blood. PM sent with the discord channel. Should be valid for 24 hours.

Knight General
September 27th, 2020, 19:38
Hello, Knight General here, i have not read the whole forum cos i just don't have the patience right now. Army with 2 tours between 2002-2006. Right now i am wondering what systems the server is running? at this point i have been playing a lot of savage worlds due to simplicity on my brain. i will tell you that i have a brain injury and PTSD. my memory is not what it once was, so i will try and take notes. the next thing i will say is that i have a hard time sticking to one character as i have a hard time developing characters over a long period of time.

if you still want or need a new player send me a message and i will get back to you asap. thanks for reading this even if you do not invite me.

GunnarGreybeard
September 27th, 2020, 21:18
Right now i am wondering what systems the server is running?

GM's are running sessions using D&D 5e.

It's a West Marches sorta setup where players, if they want to, create multiple PC's so they have a 'stable' they can pick from to play depending on what mission they choose to organize a group for. You only play (sign up for) missions you are interested in and have time for or you can just hang out and tell lies with like-minded malcontents. :rv:

I'll send you the discord channel link if you want, just let me know.

Knight General
September 27th, 2020, 21:23
sounds like fun please send me the link and i will start working on a concept. i have one in mind but i am not sure how to translate it to 5E so i will do some thinking and research

GunnarGreybeard
September 27th, 2020, 21:43
sounds like fun please send me the link

Link sent via PM (use the link in the 2nd message, the first was expired) and Welcome!

Knight General
September 27th, 2020, 21:44
thank you very much

CD0369
September 28th, 2020, 00:07
Hello All,
I am a retired crayon and paste eater. The purple ones were especially tasty and they say my head looked like a jar. Jokes aside, would enjoy jumping in on a game. Oh, before I forget, to appease the sticky/request:
Service: Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential
Years: 15.5
At least one reason why the last two stats don't matter: Weather one contract or several, one uniform or multiple, we all made the choice to serve.
As we have several services who's birthday has past, Happy belated Birthday Army, Coastguard and Airforce. Impending Happy Birthday Navy and Marine Corps. As we have Veterans Day coming up soon, has anyone thought of running a one-shot on 11 November?
On the RPG side, I have played D&D in various edditions off and on for many years. GURPS for a small run, RIFTS in the 90s and currently DM a D&D 5e game (sorry that game is closed) and play in a Pathfinder RPG game. I would enjoy getting into a Starfinder or GURPS game. My schedule is kinda hectic right now and could only do a once a month game. I am tempted to do a D&D LMoP one shot on Veterans day. I will post back here if I have the availability.

GunnarGreybeard
September 28th, 2020, 00:25
Hello All,
I am a retired crayon and paste eater. The purple ones were especially tasty and they say my head looked like a jar. Jokes aside, would enjoy jumping in on a game. Oh, before I forget, to appease the sticky/request:
Service: Muscles Are Required Intelligence Not Essential
Years: 15.5
At least one reason why the last two stats don't matter: Weather one contract or several, one uniform or multiple, we all made the choice to serve.
As we have several services who's birthday has past, Happy belated Birthday Army, Coastguard and Airforce. Impending Happy Birthday Navy and Marine Corps. As we have Veterans Day coming up soon, has anyone thought of running a one-shot on 11 November?
On the RPG side, I have played D&D in various edditions off and on for many years. GURPS for a small run, RIFTS in the 90s and currently DM a D&D 5e game (sorry that game is closed) and play in a Pathfinder RPG game. I would enjoy getting into a Starfinder or GURPS game. My schedule is kinda hectic right now and could only do a once a month game. I am tempted to do a D&D LMoP one shot on Veterans day. I will post back here if I have the availability.

PM sent with the discord channel in case you wanna jump in.

Right now it's a D&D 5e West Marches style game but one-shots would likely be welcome, even using other systems.

GunnarGreybeard
October 4th, 2020, 15:11
If any Military Vets posted in this thread earlier and I was remiss in sending you a Discord link/invite, please repost so I can make that happen. We could use another GM or 2.

Watoni
October 5th, 2020, 02:40
I'm new to Fantasy Grounds. Coming from Roll20. I'd be down to GM, but be prepared I'm new to Fantasy Grounds. Still getting the learning curve down.
All Vets would be awesome :)

For the Sticky:
Service: 92A in the Army. Damn good at it. Served with combat units mostly. Hated support units. Did everything with my fellow grunts. 4 deployments. Let go due to medical.
Years: 11 total. 9 Active, 2 Reserve.
At least one reason why the last two stats don't matter: Choosing to serve was an honor for me. Whole family is military. Wanted to go 20+, but medical wouldn't let me. Worth every minute of it, and would do it all again if given the chance.

Jroy
October 5th, 2020, 02:46
Pathfinders my game so I’d join if I could find some other vet players

Watoni
October 5th, 2020, 07:05
I'd be interested in a Westmarches 5e game.

Rogue
October 5th, 2020, 12:32
Hey, If you need a Pathfinder or Traveller GM, please let me know...I'm available pretty much any time now. Gaming is life!

Watoni
October 5th, 2020, 12:44
Hey, If you need a Pathfinder or Traveller GM, please let me know...I'm available pretty much any time now. Gaming is life!

I'm not familiar with Pathfinder, but I know of it. If you're willing to help a new person learn?

I've only played D&D 5e, but I'm a quick study.

Rogue
October 6th, 2020, 14:11
I teach both FG and various game systems. I'd be happy to have you!

xxxTasty
October 8th, 2020, 00:03
Interested as well :D

Katieletson
October 8th, 2020, 16:49
45series here, 10 NG then 11 active Army before medboarded out. I prefer PF1 and if a game happens to be on a Friday, even better. I am running a game every Wed, every other Sunday and my Friday game I actually played in stopped so looking to fix that.

Thanks
Norm

safemancsp
October 8th, 2020, 20:21
Army veteran. Experienced player and DM transitioning from Roll20 to Fantasy Grounds. I have FG Classic Ultimate. I play a lot of D&D 5E but I am also experienced with Traveller, Clement Sector, and Forbidden Lands.

Bacillus
October 9th, 2020, 15:14
Service :TX ARNG / USCG
+/- 8 years
The first two responses don't mean anything to me, because I learned everything I needed to know in the Boy Scouts of America.

New To FG, have been away from the table for quite some time but feeling the need to play again.
Experienced with playing DnD, ADnD, Traveller, Gamma World, Car Wars. Interested in Call of Cthulu as well as 5e if the group can deal with "click where?".

Bokeelia
October 9th, 2020, 23:34
Army vet 7 years. Out for 7 years now. I own FGC and FGU Ultimate and run a couple games and play in 1 other. I'd love to play in another with some fellow veterans. Schedule is currently too full to DM another full campaign but possibility for a one-shot isn't out of the question.

GunnarGreybeard
October 11th, 2020, 06:21
For the last groups of posters, a PM has been sent with the discord channel invite link in case you wanna jump in.

Klondikejimbo
October 11th, 2020, 13:50
Very new to this, found looking for some way to find a local group. Retured after23 years Coast Guard. Way tired of lockdown. I see much interest in this thread so assume full group? Central time.

GunnarGreybeard
October 11th, 2020, 14:48
Very new to this, found looking for some way to find a local group. Retured after23 years Coast Guard. Way tired of lockdown. I see much interest in this thread so assume full group? Central time.

There are no limits to the overall group size as the campaign format is set up as a "West Marches" style game. I think it currently stands at about 23 players total, 3-4 of which are GM's.

You can see more about "West Marches" at either or both of the 2 links below:

If you prefer reading, try this one: Grand Experiments: West Marches (https://arsludi.lamemage.com/index.php/78/grand-experiments-west-marches/)

If you wanna have it explained in video, go with this one: The West Marches, Running the Game #30 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGAC-gBoX9k&feature=emb_logo)

If you are still interested (or have questions, although I'm not currently overly involved due to real life issues) just let me know and I'll answer what I can. If you want a discord invite, I'll send that via PM. Any questions, just ask.

Klondikejimbo
October 11th, 2020, 15:06
Sure drop me discord link. Currently out of town but back in couple days.

I do see I totally ignored the sticky.

23 years Cg, radar repairer, then computer technology.

I respect a man or woman that loves their country, and respect freedom. Truly miss so many with integrity that crossed my paths daily.

GunnarGreybeard
October 11th, 2020, 15:44
Sure drop me discord link. Currently out of town but back in couple days.

PM sent with the discord channel link.

JerryRig
October 14th, 2020, 00:25
Do my fellow vet's a favor and don't suffer them to anything other then the content of Pathfinder. They'll never want for anything more.

JetDocDrugDoc
October 20th, 2020, 04:34
I'm interested if you're still looking for players. New to Fantasy Grounds.

USAF Vet. Eglin AFB, FL.

Marcus Arabela
October 20th, 2020, 04:58
I would be interested joining a game. I'm Central Time.

I'm new to using FGU (which I own a Standard license), but am experienced with playing D&D from the days of the original, through AD&D and 3.5e. Yep, showing my age there a bit.

After a lapse of several years, I'm looking to get involved again and have acquired a D&D 5e set, both within FGU and hardcover.

I'm retired military with dual service in Navy (10 years Active) and Coast Guard (2 years Reserve/11 years Active), and currently a Federal Government employee of the FAA. If y'all are still looking for a player, I'm willing.

Marcus

GunnarGreybeard
October 20th, 2020, 06:28
I'm interested if you're still looking for players. New to Fantasy Grounds.

I would be interested joining a game. I'm Central Time.

I'm new to using FGU (which I own a Standard license), but am experienced with playing D&D from the days of the original, through AD&D and 3.5e. Yep, showing my age there a bit.

KILLGORE
October 20th, 2020, 08:21
I would be interested if Pathfinder or D&D. 1/327th 101ABD LRSD 1990-1997

GunnarGreybeard
October 21st, 2020, 02:44
I would be interested if Pathfinder or D&D. 1/327th 101ABD LRSD 1990-1997

Just a reminder, right now it's a D&D 5e West Marches style campaign that is being run.

Birstall8
October 22nd, 2020, 14:13
Very interested. British Army Infantry Vet here.

GunnarGreybeard
October 24th, 2020, 02:11
Very interested. British Army Infantry Vet here.

Sevil83
November 9th, 2020, 18:40
I am interested. MD ARNG 15 years. Brand new to D&D. Really want to get into playing with FG

Hanibull
November 9th, 2020, 20:42
Im in if there is room but the response seems pretty full bottle

GunnarGreybeard
November 9th, 2020, 21:33
I am interested. MD ARNG 15 years. Brand new to D&D. Really want to get into playing with FG

Im in if there is room but the response seems pretty full bottle

Ciric
November 10th, 2020, 00:56
Right on! I'm about to retire after 20 years in the Army. Sounds like a really good time! I'm in as long as the schedule works.

GunnarGreybeard
November 13th, 2020, 21:15
Right on! I'm about to retire after 20 years in the Army. Sounds like a really good time! I'm in as long as the schedule works.

PM sent with the discord channel link. Also, just a reminder, it's primarily a D&D 5e West Marches style campaign that is being run.

shodansbabydaddy
November 15th, 2020, 00:53
is this still happening and can I get in on it?

GunnarGreybeard
November 15th, 2020, 12:46
is this still happening and can I get in on it?