PDA

View Full Version : Action sometimes does not go against selected target

GKEnialb
April 6th, 2020, 05:41
Even when a target is selected and shown to be selected in the combat tracker, an attack roll will appear in the chat window without showing the result against the target (appearing as if no target were selected). Whether the attack roll is correctly handled or not, sometimes the damage roll does not show the target damaged and the damage is not applied.

Steps to reproduce the error
Rare at the beginning of a session, but seems to get worse as it goes. Selecting the target from the combat tracker seems to be more stable than selecting from the map, but bug appears with either selection.

Any relevant information from the "console.log" file found in your FG Data directory.
None

Ruleset(s) you are experiencing the issue(s) in.
5e

Is this a newly FGU created campaign or one migrated from FGC?
Newly created

What modules do you have loaded? Are any of these DLC from sources other than the FGU updater? (i.e. manually migrated or 3rd party content)
3 deluxe core rulebooks, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Volo's Guide to Monsters, Eberron

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2020, 05:52
When it next happens can you grab a screen shot?

GKEnialb
April 6th, 2020, 06:00
Sorry, didn't think to grab it during the session, but I definitely will next time we play.

damned
April 6th, 2020, 07:48
There was a new networking update released.
Everyone in your group should update to the newest build 2020-04-04
If your FGU doesnt show that after updating you might have to uninstall and reinstall again from a new webinstaller.
So long as you havent pointed your Data and Program files at the same folder manually that should be safe to do.

GKEnialb
April 11th, 2020, 16:56
Not sure if this is a different version of the same bug or a completely different bug, but the action here was taken against a creature which was not selected (with 2020-04-04):

GKEnialb
April 18th, 2020, 05:10
Still exists with 2020-04-17. Tonight there was a different twist, where multiple attacks against the same creature (without changing the target selection) typically went against the right creature, but sometimes didn't (but the damage roll still went against the creature, even when the attack did not).

pollux
April 21st, 2020, 03:00
Not sure if I'm being dense, but I don't see the variable target behavior illustrated in your most recent screenshot. I do see the healing effect applied to the wrong target in your previous screenshot, though.

Kelrugem
April 21st, 2020, 03:30
Not sure if I'm being dense, but I don't see the variable target behavior illustrated in your most recent screenshot. I do see the healing effect applied to the wrong target in your previous screenshot, though.

the last attack does not get applied to the target in the screenshot :)

pollux
April 21st, 2020, 03:32
Ah, I was looking for an incorrect target, not a missing target. I see it now.

GKEnialb
April 21st, 2020, 04:27
Yeah, both things happen (no target and incorrect target). What I didn't grab in the screenshot was when damage was applied after the final attack roll (which went against a missing target), it was applied to the target that the attack roll should have been against. I've seen it the other way as well (attack roll was against a target, damage roll went against nothing).

avitale34
April 21st, 2020, 05:03
Had a similar thing happen in one of my games, will try to grab screen shot next time.

OfficerZan
April 22nd, 2020, 19:52
I had the exact same thing happen in a 3.5e D&D game I was running this last weekend and actually came to post about it. Glad I searched first and I'll get a screenshot next time, if it happens that is, as well. It came down to none of my players were able to roll against targets and I had to roll both attack and damage for all PC attacks. This never corrected the entire session (about 7 hours total from the first player logging in to the last player logging off). Though, the fiance and I tried to recreate the issue today and were unable to. Perhaps it was a PICNIC error, but for all of my players, seems unrealistic.

Moon Wizard
April 25th, 2020, 01:00
Also, in addition to getting a screenshot, please provide any data on how players are targeting and rolling, as well as whether targeting is reporting correctly on CT before making roll (if pre-targeting). (i.e. drag and drop onto map, drag and drop onto CT, Control-Click to target map token, Control-click to target CT token, etc.)

Regards,
JPG

GKEnialb
April 25th, 2020, 06:11
I'll record the details next time it happens, but from memory, it typically happens when the target was Control-Clicked from the map. It definitely has happened when Control-Clicking on the combat tracker, but not as often as when it was selected from the map. In all cases, the correct target is shown on the combat tracker but the target applied / shown in the chat window is sometimes incorrect or missing altogether.

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2020, 01:42
Thanks for info. Definitely double-check for me, if you see it again. I'm trying to figure out where the disconnect is happening. (i.e. targeting vs. rolling vs. ??)

Regards,
JPG

GKEnialb
April 26th, 2020, 02:08
Not sure if you noticed the post on April 17th, 2020, 22:10, but with that one, the player had selected a target, rolled to hit 4 times, with the first 3 going against the target and the 4th against no target, then rolled damage, which went against the target. There was no re-selection of the target between those 5 rolls, but only the fourth roll had an issue.

Moon Wizard
April 26th, 2020, 02:24
Ugh, that's going to be interesting to track down. At any rate, thanks for the info; and any other examples and details are appreciated.

Regards,
JPG

Copernicus219
April 27th, 2020, 15:55
Saw this a few times in last game. I'll try to track down how they were targeting next time.

GKEnialb
May 10th, 2020, 05:22
This may be unrelated, but saw a couple of strange things tonight. One of the monsters lost its border on the map and could not be selected on the map, but could on the combat tracker. Selecting the monster showed the distance to a character which was not its target (but rolling went against the target shown in the combat tracker. I deleted the token from the map and readded it from the combat tracker and everything returned to normal.

GKEnialb
May 16th, 2020, 05:28
Happened against with 2020-05-14. In this particular instance (image modified to piece together the chat window since it didn't fit in one screen and to circle the interesting parts, but no part was left out):
- Player selected two targets via cntl-left click in combat tracker
- Player cast fireball via "cast" under fireball in the actions tab
- Chat log shows both targets attempting saving throws
- Player rolled damage via "damage" under fireball in the actions tab
- Chat log had neither target take damage and applied to one of the other players instead
- I had the player roll damage again without performing any other clicks. This time it went against the two correct targets
- Combat tracker maintained those two targets, and only those two targets, the entire time (but removed them all after damage was rolled the second time - the remove on miss option was set to multi-select; I switched that to "none" after this happened).

This was using 5e, the GM and two players (including the one with the targeting issue and the one who took the damage) on Windows / one player on Mac, all using 2020-05-14, core rulebooks, Xanathar's, Eberron, and Volo's loaded.

GKEnialb
May 30th, 2020, 16:02
Still occurs with 2020-05-20. In this case, the player selected the target via cntrl-left click on map (image is from GM screen). He un-selected it, re-selected by cntrl-left click on combat tracker, and it worked from then on.