PDA

View Full Version : help getting started

Bilbobolen
April 5th, 2020, 21:07
I am a brand new user. Last night I could not get my players to log into my game using the ultra. I gave them the name of the game, my dm name and my IPv6 ID. Is the problem that the servers are just slamed on saturday night during the quarantine or do I just not know what I am doing. Would someone let me into there game so I can see how it works. Thanks

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 21:12
What version of FG are you running (v3.3.10 (FG Classic) or v4.0.0 (FG Unity))?

JPG

Bilbobolen
April 5th, 2020, 22:05
Unity; I bought a month of the highest level Unity version and a couple of 5ed D&D books

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 22:10
We have been having some connection issues with our Cloud server system; and we are just about to release a new version. Just working with people in Discord to test right now.

Also, when connecting to Cloud server type, make sure to connect by lobby entry, or by entering in GM user name. The direction connection field is only for connecting to LAN server types.

Regards,
JPG

Bilbobolen
April 5th, 2020, 22:16
I would not know how to connect without going into the lobby.

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 22:32
Just pushed the newest build that may help to Live. All GM and players need to be on updated version (by running a new Check for Updates); and you can verify version as well - v4.0.0 (2020-04-04).

Regards,
JPG

Bilbobolen
April 5th, 2020, 22:32
I am playing against a fire wall which I do not control. Does that prevent me from running FG 4.0 at all? I gather it does not matter because the game runs on the cloud rather than from my computer. However I could not run the older version. Is that true?

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 23:13
With FGC (v3.3.10), you need to be able to allow TCP port forwarding to your machine in order to GM a game, but not play. The client will attempt to use UPnP to automatically configure the closest network router.

With FGU (v4.0.0),
* If you use the Cloud option as a GM, it should use a service to broker a connection to the players. They will still be connecting to the GM machine as the "game and data server", but may be connected through external servers.
* If you use the LAN option as a GM, then the GM will need to configure their own UDP port forwarding.

Regards,
JPG

LordEntrails
April 6th, 2020, 03:00
I am playing against a fire wall which I do not control. Does that prevent me from running FG 4.0 at all? I gather it does not matter because the game runs on the cloud rather than from my computer. However I could not run the older version. Is that true?
Another way to understand what Moon Wizard says is; "It depends".

It depends upon what the fire wall you do not have control over is doing. In most cases FGU using the cloud brokered connections should work. But, their are certainly ways a firewall can be configured that will prevent even the use of a cloud brokered connection. About all you can do is test. Fortunately, FG has a 30 day refund policy when purchased through the FG store.

damned
April 6th, 2020, 08:02
It appears that the Comcast network (and Cox and Xfinity) is still causing some issues.
Teh Devs are working on that now.