PDA

View Full Version : Paralyzed stats effect

Loup Garou
April 5th, 2020, 02:00
I had it come up in a game recently. We had a player become paralyzed as per the spell hold person. The effect according to the core rules makes a Dex mod -5 and is helpless. So we have a player whom is paralyzed and as a dex of 13 normally. This should make their AC -6 overall.

Instead it calculates it as -11 to the effected characters' AC. They are counted as helpless but that would still only be a -10. Anyone know where the extra -1 is coming from?

deer_buster
April 5th, 2020, 02:59
Initial dex doesn't matter. When you are paralyzed, you are treated as having a dex modifier of -5. Since AC is 10 + DexModifier + Armor, you would start out with a AC of 5 and add your the bonus from your armor.

Loup Garou
April 5th, 2020, 19:44
Initial dex doesn't matter. When you are paralyzed, you are treated as having a dex modifier of -5. Since AC is 10 + DexModifier + Armor, you would start out with a AC of 5 and add your the bonus from your armor.

Thanks for the response but you didn’t answer my question. FG communicates this this penalty as a deduction rather than adjusting AC, despite what the core rule book says it also seems to be counting the effected as helpless. It applies a seemingly arbitrary -11 as a defense penalty. Is this correct, if so how is it calculated? If not how can I change the effect of a status debuff?

deer_buster
April 5th, 2020, 21:03
usually if you provided your character xml when you ask about issues, it helps us figure out what is going on.

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 21:19
Just a note. In almost every ruleset built on FGU, all effects are applied to rolls as they are made; and do not modify the actual character data.

Regards,
JPG

deer_buster
April 5th, 2020, 21:21
Also, correctly or not, the -11 comes from subtracting 5 due to 0 Dex, it is treating you as helpless -4 to AC vs melee attacks (even though the description of the condition says that is not the case), and you are treated as flat footed -2 to attacks

Loup Garou
April 6th, 2020, 14:35
Also, correctly or not, the -11 comes from subtracting 5 due to 0 Dex, it is treating you as helpless -4 to AC vs melee attacks (even though the description of the condition says that is not the case), and you are treated as flat footed -2 to attacks
That helps, now this is being applied by the ruleset I get when I run update on fantasy grounds. Could that be incorrect, I feel like if that were the case more people would report this issue?

I hadn’t submitted an XML because it didnt seem to be an issue with the character sheet but I will keep that in mind going forward. Based on what we are seeing it seems like an issue for the status effect. How can I change that or make a correct status effect?

Thanks for the help so far!

deer_buster
April 6th, 2020, 21:32
You could create a condition for each Dex value that applies a dex penalty to them. For instance, if their dex was 10, you could set an effect of "DEX:-9" so that the system treats the Dex as 1, and Dex mod of -5. and then do that for each one that your characters have...

But for the most part, this will require a ruleset fix

deer_buster
April 6th, 2020, 21:43
just confirmed that will work

Loup Garou
April 12th, 2020, 00:51
Thanks for the help. Also unrelated but is it just me or did they just totally over haul the website?

deer_buster
April 12th, 2020, 01:01
Thanks for the help. Also unrelated but is it just me or did they just totally over haul the website?

Who/what/when/where?