PDA

View Full Version : Unarmored Defense Stacking with Armor

MTBLloyd
April 5th, 2020, 01:51
Hello. I'm new to Fantasy Grounds (using Unity) and to these forums. I noticed that when comparing a D&D Beyond barbarian in my campaign to the equivalent in Fantasy Grounds that his armor class went up 2 points in FG (from 15 to 17). I narrowed it down to the chain shirt (AC 13) being stacked with both the +2 Con and Dex bonuses (14 in each).

What would be the simplest way for me to correct this in my local installation? Also, how does bug reporting work for these sorts of things?

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'm not asking something that's already come up here before.

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 02:47
The FG code will not auto-equip armor when you have the Unarmored Defense trait. If you decide to manually equip the armor, you'll need to modify the AC calculation by using the magnifying glass on the front of the PC.

Regards,
JPG

MTBLloyd
April 5th, 2020, 03:08
Perfect, thanks! I didn't realize the function behind that magnifying glass. At some point, I'd love to be able to go in and make a rules edit to the 5e pak to add a conditional to the constitution bonus for unarmored defense but, being new and all, I haven't taken a look at the API or whatever domain language the system uses.

MTBLloyd
April 5th, 2020, 20:25
I see that items and stat changes don't affect characters. I equipped an amulet of health on another character and saw that I needed to change the CON and HP scores manually. I noticed that there are various community-driven extensions out there so maybe a bit of exploration is needed to make this work as I thought it would.

Beemanpat
April 5th, 2020, 21:38
I'd recommend Advanced Effects by Celestian
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40833-5E-Advanced-Effects-(items-npcs-characters)

Not sure if its FGU ready so beware.

GavinRuneblade
April 5th, 2020, 22:38
I see that items and stat changes don't affect characters. I equipped an amulet of health on another character and saw that I needed to change the CON and HP scores manually. I noticed that there are various community-driven extensions out there so maybe a bit of exploration is needed to make this work as I thought it would.

A few things you don't do intuitively, it took me a while to figure them out. For example, items that change stats, like the gauntlets of ogre power, you do not change the stat on the main page, and when it is working that stat isn't going to change. Instead, lets say you have a 12 str and put on the gloves. Add an effect that increases your STR by 7. Now, when you do a strength (athletics) skill check you'll see both the +1 from your 12, and the additional +3 from the gauntlets in the calculation. Same with hitting someone using a club. You can, if you prefer, go and edit the strength on the main page. But then if you ever take the gauntlets off, you need to remember what your strength really was and set it back to that. With the effect, you just turn the effect off.