PDA

View Full Version : How do I connect two computers at the same location?

David M
April 5th, 2020, 00:27
Hi folks,
I tried Unity on thursday night on Zoom with my friends and it was a disaster. Everybody (5 players with Demo copies spread across north america) who tried to connect to my computer (Ultimate Licence - Mac) would freeze my FG and then we would wait around until i got frustrated and restarted. We tried to play regardless but I couldn't even access my program because of the spinning wheel of death. What a shame. It takes so long to organize something and the evening was a bust.

I have two computers and my current plan is to run a demo copy on my PC for the players with a screen share on Zoom. The GM account is on my computer (Ultimate Licence - Mac). How do i do this? I've tried to connect the two computers via the cloud system but my pc freezes when acquiring files. I figure maybe connecting the two on a LAN might work but they share an IP address. I confess that I don't know what I'm doing. Help?!

Thanks!
David

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 00:41
There is currently an issue with Cloud servers that I'm working on, as detailed in this thread:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55185-Connection-Issues-And-What-To-Provide

I've been working on some fixes this week, that I hope to have out in the next day or so.

Regards,
JPG

David M
April 5th, 2020, 01:02
Ok great! Any chance that my solution may work? Our next game is tomorrow at 3.
Cheers
D

Moon Wizard
April 5th, 2020, 01:05
Some people have had success working around by setting up as LAN server, and doing the port forwarding manually.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
April 5th, 2020, 06:56
I figure maybe connecting the two on a LAN might work but they share an IP address.
Two separate computer on the same LAN have the same LAN IP address? This shouldn’t be the case, can you confirm what the internal IP address of each computer is?

David M
April 5th, 2020, 15:56
Great! I checked out the internal ip addresses and it worked well! Woot! The game is on :). Thanks Trenloe!