PDA

View Full Version : [Newb] how to create a MgT 2 character in FGunity?

justkill3d
April 4th, 2020, 14:16
Hello everyone,

honestly I'm lost. I just created a sample campaign to get the hang of both FG and the implemented MgT2 ruleset, but I can not find a way to create a character. The only way I see is do it by hand, needing the paper books and then editing the values in. Can somebody explain why that is? Or is this just for the unity client and I should install the classic one? Or am I missing something else?

Andraax
April 4th, 2020, 16:14
Have you opened the modules in your campaign?

mrgrey
April 4th, 2020, 19:47
If you load the core rulebook module, that'll give you the rulebook as well as adding all the skills and items into their respective sections. There doesn't seem to be much automation though, so unless I've missed something, you'll have to drag skills directly onto the skill list.

backwardoracle
April 5th, 2020, 01:19
The lack of automation is because, I believe do to the number of career choices available. There is a step by step guide in the Players Reference Manual, So you don't need the physical copy, as shown in the attached pic.

You can also refer to the Flowchart in the images file called Creating a Traveller.

Hope that helps

MadBeardMan
April 5th, 2020, 16:26
Folks,

Just to note I am trying to plan a way to automate careers, it's a long and heavy process as there's a lot of career choices, easy for the human brain (and let's be honest, Traveller character generation takes a few attempts before it becomes easy) but plugging it into FG requires a lot of thinking. I for one, prefer to work on something that I can use in my games, but also that saves time running the game, which is why I'm working on Spacecraft and Equipment automation.

Cheers,
MBM

LordNanoc
April 5th, 2020, 17:56
We created four new Chars in FGU in an online session yesterday, without use of any paper material. So yes, this is entirely possible.

After starting the game, start a MGT2 campaign. After loading, on the right you got a panel with a lot of buttons. Check the FG tutorials or browse through Youtube to find beginners guides.
PCs is the button for the players character. There you can create a new player, import one from an XML File or export an existing one to XML.
The Reference Manual must be loaded via Library -> Modules.
In the that manual you have all the desctription from the books as well as rollable tables. all you have to do manually atm is take the results and write them into the charsheet. But MBM is working on automating this as well.

I really would refer you to the tutorials. Really.
cya