PDA

View Full Version : Updater Closing Before Install

Solstar
April 4th, 2020, 00:56
I have a player who is having trouble installing the program. He has downloaded the updater for FGU. When he double clicks the icon to run the Updater it appears to load up a green progress bar, but once the progress bar completes, the window hangs for a moment then just closes. No error. Nothing.

He sees this33028

Then it just disappears.

Does anyone have any ideas? He's uninstalled/reinstalled 3 times already.

Three of Swords
April 4th, 2020, 02:01
Have him try running the file FantasyGrounds Updater.exe directly. I had to do that.

damned
April 4th, 2020, 02:02
Is he using the latest download to install?
Make sure his antivirus is not detecting any of the fantasy grounds exe files as a threat and deleting them.

I dont have anything else to suggest right now sorry...

Solstar
April 4th, 2020, 02:27
Is he using the latest download to install?
Make sure his antivirus is not detecting any of the fantasy grounds exe files as a threat and deleting them.

I dont have anything else to suggest right now sorry...

We checked antivirus, and he's downloading straight from the FG website. We even tried sending all the files directly to him.

No go on running the .exe directly either.

He's using Windows 10, but I don't know specs of computer... This is disheartening, after I dropped nearly $200 to run the game.

damned
April 4th, 2020, 02:29
We checked antivirus, and he's downloading straight from the FG website. We even tried sending all the files directly to him.

No go on running the .exe directly either.

He's using Windows 10, but I don't know specs of computer... This is disheartening, after I dropped nearly $200 to run the game.

If you are unable to get it working Smiteworks have a 30 day refund policy.

What EXE fies are in his program directory after it crashes?
Does he get any errors?
What do the log files say?

Solstar
April 4th, 2020, 03:05
If you are unable to get it working Smiteworks have a 30 day refund policy.

What EXE fies are in his program directory after it crashes?
Does he get any errors?
What do the log files say?

His log folder is empty. No errors, just quietly closes the updater. I'm waiting for a snip of his screen to show what his files look like.

Edit: though it seems that he's just missing some files altogether. Basically the updater is just refusing to finish, and closes mid-update.

redeyesofnight
April 4th, 2020, 18:31
I have a player who is having trouble installing the program. He has downloaded the updater for FGU. When he double clicks the icon to run the Updater it appears to load up a green progress bar, but once the progress bar completes, the window hangs for a moment then just closes. No error. Nothing.

He sees this33028

Then it just disappears.

Does anyone have any ideas? He's uninstalled/reinstalled 3 times already.

Ok, so I've got a few questions.
First, was this installed from here:
https://fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGUWebInstall.pkg

It should have run through choosing program location, data location, shortcuts, and then at the end gave a message that the Updater is launching.
Does the updater open at the end of this process automatically?
Does the program folder (default C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds) have both FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe and FGUpdaterEngine folder?

This is the screen that appears when Unity can't load data files associated with the program itself.
The FGUpdaterEngine subfolder should look something like this:

Solstar
April 4th, 2020, 18:33
Ok, so I've got a few questions.
First, was this installed from here:
https://fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FGUWebInstall.pkg

It should have run through choosing program location, data location, shortcuts, and then at the end gave a message that the Updater is launching.
Does the updater open at the end of this process automatically?
Does the program folder (default C:/Program Files/SmiteWorks/Fantasy Grounds) have both FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe and FGUpdaterEngine folder?

This is the screen that appears when Unity can't load data files associated with the program itself.
The FGUpdaterEngine subfolder should look something like this:

I will send him your questions