PDA

View Full Version : LFG - Friday or Saturday Evenings CST (pre-written modules)

JetMD75
April 3rd, 2020, 23:49
I just picked up D&D again a few months ago. I played it quite a bit as a kid in the 80's, but put it away for quite a long time. some friends and I decided we wanted to get back into it (they all played as kids as well), so we did. I'm not sure if I drew the short straw, but I was dubbed the group DM. We plan on muddling our way through all of the pre-written adventures over time. My problem is, I would like to experience some of these modules as a player before I act as DM for them. We are about mid-way through LMoP at this point.

If I had my way, I would find a group willing to deal with me and my learning curve, both on fantasy grounds and D&D in general. I feel like I'm holding my own as DM of Phandelver, so it's not like I'm completely green. I just picked up the ultimate version of fantasy grounds last week and have been knees deep in the program and youtube explanation videos since. But I feel like I have more to learn there. Full disclosure, I have never played a TTRPG online...though the idea has always intrigued me.

Below are some of my preferences, but I'm not set in stone on any of them:

time - Friday or Saturday 5PM CST or later
preferred modules - any pre-written, fully licensed module D&D 5E (other than LMoP because I'm pretty familiar with that one at this point)
group - prefer a group more around my age if possible (30's-40's), not a deal breaker though

Reply if I may be a fit for what you have going on. Look forward to gaming online.

FYI - I prefer beer and pretzels when I game, so if either of those are a problem, I'm not your guy lol

srshenoy1979
April 4th, 2020, 13:14
Hi — I’m in a similar boat. I used to play AD&D 2e back in the early 1990s and really did love it. However, I too put it away for quite a long time. I’ve been looking into playing again and actually bought all three of the 5e books (DMG, PHB, and MM). I’ve tried to convince my wife and a few of our friends to play, but it’s not going anywhere. So I decided to buy a Standard License of FG and make the best of being locked into my home over the COVID-19 crisis.

I actually always DMed, and actually like DMing. If you’re interested in helping (bearing with me) as I fat-finger my way through Fantasy Grounds, I’d be more than willing to DM. I’m 40 now, so I think I barely fit into your preferred age group range :)... but I am also a father and will need to make sure I’ve helped my wife put the kids down, clean up, etc. before getting started with a session. I am in Georgia (EST) so, I should be able to start a game here around 8:30 pm (7:30 cst).

Preferences: 5e D&D
Time: Friday or Saturday 8:30 pm to 11:30 pm/midnight
Type of game: home brew and pre-written modules

JetMD75
April 5th, 2020, 20:06
Hi there srs, Thanks for the reply. I keep hearing people say they played in the 80's and 90's and would like to pick it back up. Pretty cool. I would certainly be willing to give it a try. I think Saturday works better than Friday for me. The late evening works for me as well. Are you willing to run a pre-written module (nothing against home brews, don't get me wrong)? Do you have any other players? What is your preferred method of communication?

I am no Fantasy grounds expert, but I think I'm coming along. Maybe we could help each other on that front. Hell, I think the best way to learn the program is to use it right?

Hit me back if you like and let me know how you want to kick this off.

Thanks again for reaching out. Have a great day!

Tolenash
April 5th, 2020, 22:17
Gentlemen, the boat is getting crowded. Played AD&D in the early 90's as a pre-teen. Now my kids are getting into playing and that itch it getting harder to scratch.

Also new to FG, so I wouldn't be much help, though I am going through the tutorial. I got the unity demo license only for now...

Also have the physical PHB, XGE, DMG, EGtW, and some of the module sets for 5e. (maybe I should have just gotten them through FG, but oh well...).

As for a day / time - Fridays or weekend nights - Late evenings work best for me (9pm), I'm in SC. (Also 41 - but I don't feel OLD.)

gleken22
April 5th, 2020, 22:51
Guys , if you are starting a game i would like to join. Im 35 but never played a proper RPG.Im a big fan of pc games as neverwiner nights , pathfinder kingmaker, KOTOR, baulders gate(super excited for BG3).
Im new to FG and have only the demo as i wanted to try it before committing , thou i have PHB and am fairly familiar with the core rules. Days wise until the cov 19 quarantine is over , im free every day. After that weekends are ok.

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 05:07
Well met Tolenash. I will open the floor to srshenoy1979 as far as whether or not a game is going to happen from this thread. I just wanted to chime in on something you said....

"Also have the physical PHB, XGE, DMG, EGtW, and some of the module sets for 5e. (maybe I should have just gotten them through FG, but oh well...)."

I feel your pain there. I'm pretty new to FG, but already I'm seeing it's value. However, there is no comparison to actually owning the physical books in my opinion. Call me old-school :)
Based on the replies to this thread, I guess I could call us ALL old-school.

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 05:15
Hello Gleken. I'm not sure if this thread will end up in a game, but I hope you find one either way. I think you will really enjoy it if you find the right group. For the record, I am on the edge of my seat for BG3 as well!

If some considerable time passes, and you don't find a game (highly unlikely), hit me up. I'll start up a phandelver campaign strictly for new players. I'm pretty new to fantasy grounds, and knocking some serious dust off on the DM front (I'd say I'm mediocre at best on both), but a mediocre experience for a new player is better than no experience at all. Happy Gaming

Rogich
April 6th, 2020, 06:13
Hello one and all. I don't mean to highjack this thread, but I wanted to point you to my thread in which I'm trying to organize a pay for play campaign in which we essentially play through all the 5E pre-written content wrapped in a huge campaign with a connecting story centered on our PCs.

We would play on Saturday afternoons twice a month between 1 PM and 5 PM EST. I have an interested DM and one interested player, so we can probably pick up 2 to 3 other players. The DM is charging $10 per player per session.

I anticipate this will be a VERY LONG campaign that could, in theory, continue indefinitely depending on the continuing interest of all involved, so please keep that in mind.

If any of you are interested, I would refer you to my thread (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55638-LFDM-to-Run-Epic-Sprawling-5E-Campaign-Willing-to-Pay) and encourage you to reach out to me on Discord or here. Thanks.

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 06:59
Rogich, thanks for the message (and I'm pretty sure you DID mean to hijack the thread, but no harm done). You are touching on a subject that I am completely torn on. So, allow me to think out loud for a moment and maybe drag a dead horse from another thread into the room.

On one hand, there is the whole "time is money" thing. And I'll admit, what you are talking about, would take an immense amount of time on the part of a DM. My personal stance on things like that, in whatever spectrum, is that anybody should be able to monetize anything so long as there are people willing to pay (and it doesn't infringe on others of course).

But then there is this thing I just can't square with when it comes to DM for hire...The players are contributing to the product as well...or at least they should be. If monetization is the goal, what value do you place on the players at the table?

Now, it's one thing to get a group together and pool money so the DM can buy what he/she needs to run a game and then the DM just owns those assets. It's another thing entirely to say the services of DM is now a business and put an hourly income on it. I followed the link to your thread and your idea sounds amazing. You talk about how the DM wage might keep people invested and maybe you will not have to deal with people dropping out and cancelling, etc. That may be the case. Or, it may be the opposite because it's just a business arrangement and as soon as the next best thing comes along...

Anyway, thanks for the mental exercise. As I stated above, I'm still not sure how I feel about the whole DM for pay thing. Right now I'm leaning toward it not being my thing. But good luck finding your game. It sounds like it will be amazing, for a long...long...time. Per your thread post, you seem like someone who just wants a regular game without a bunch of drama. :)

Of course with all my rambling I don't presume to speak for the rest of the posters in this thread. lol

Rogich
April 6th, 2020, 07:17
Thanks for your input. Let me just engage in your thought experiment with you for a moment.

I agree that roleplaying is a cooperative experience and both the players and DM work together to play the game and create the story being told. However, without the DM, the players don't have the opportunity to tell a story at all. In addition, with the exception of those times when my PC is levelling up, I can show up to a play session with absolutely no prep whatsoever. The DM, on the other hand, has to either create the combat encounters and other material for the play session from scratch or at least prepare what's prewritten in the module to be ready to respond to whatever the players throw at him or her.

All that considered, I don't think it totally unreasonable for a DM to charge, particularly if the charge is reasonable. This is my first venture into a pay for play experience, and I may have a different opinion at the end of it, but going into it, that's my stance.

In addition, although I can appreciate your stance that a paid DM may move on if given a better opportunity, that is the risk you take with just about any transaction in which money is changing hands. But, I also suspect that folks who are hiring themselves out to DM have a passion for the game itself and wouldn't necessarily abandon ship at the first sniff of a few extra sheckles, particularly if she or he has a long-standing relationship with the players.

In any event, just some food for thought and I wish you well in your gaming. Thanks for engaging in a brief tangent.

JetMD75
April 6th, 2020, 07:34
Rogich,

Well said friend. I've done the DM thing (I'm doing it currently) so I am aware of what is entailed. And the points you make are solid. I just live on the other side of the net is all. I hope you find the game you are looking for. you could probably leave it in your will when you get older if you do lol.

Cheers!

MagiCoyote
April 6th, 2020, 12:43
I am looking for a 5e game to join. Been playing 5e for about 2 years and now the world is burning everything is going online. I still have to work 45 hours a week and most games want a afternoon start. A Friday or Saturday with a start time around 830pm is what I am looking for. Since I not been able to join any groups I have 0 exp with Fantasy Grounds. I have discord if it is required. I am 39 years old and live outside of Pittsburgh, PA. Let me know what we can do.

Mrwhite20
April 6th, 2020, 18:52
I'm looking to join a game. I'm an experienced player and have some FG and Roll20 experience but still quite new to both. I'm an old school player from the 80's and stopped playing in college and just started back up last summer at a local gaming store. Always willing to help new players and just looking for a game to join.