PDA

View Full Version : CPU Usage Character Sheet Action Tab

ironsplitter
April 3rd, 2020, 18:18
Perhaps this is useful information.
Using 5e ruleset.
Windows 10 -- custom 1 year old gaming rig so components are top notch and plenty of RAM, bla bla

I've been trying to determine the cause of my frequent application freezes, where my (as a GM) FG instance will become unresponsive for 5 - 15 seconds and the application window goes light grey with a blue spinner. This happens even when I don't have players connected and there doesn't seem to be any particular trigger. I can open a map or the Items or the Spells, whatever. It doesn't happen all the time but enough that it effects my preparation and games and game prep.

Anyway, one thing I have noticed is that when I first start FG with nothing but the chat window loaded into the UI the application idles at around 3% CPU usage. When I bring up the Combat Tracker and start opening character sheets, it adds about 1% CPU usage per character sheet. So, if I have a party of 4, I will be around 7% CPU usage.

However, if I open the Action tab on any character sheet that has Spells (Paladin, Cleric, Wizard, ...) then the CPU jumps to around 15% and stays there forevermore until I click a different tab on the character sheet. It just takes one character sheet to cause this (e.g. I open the action tab on the cleric) and the results don't stack (meaning if I open the action tab on the wizard I don't suddenly jump to 25%). It just idles there at around 15%. If I switch to a different tab on the character sheet the CPU goes back down.

When idling at around 15% CPU, my frame rate becomes choppy. I notice it moving windows around and rolling dice. Without having an fps counter, I'm guessing here, but it "feels" around 15-20 fps.

Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to affect my 'unresponsive freezing' problem (I say unfortunately because that would be an easy fix - just don't have the Action tab invoked :) ), but I thought this behaviour is a bug or at least a design that can be improved upon, so thought I would mention it.

PS: Forgot to add I am using Rob Twohy's Spell Effects module.

Thanks

pollux
April 4th, 2020, 18:44
This won't help you get rid of freezes, but this comment might help you understand where some of them are coming from: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54469-Unity-too-slow&p=484856&viewfull=1#post484856 Note that network traffic can also temporarily freeze the GM instance.

Certain freezes can be reduces by loading the thing you want to look at ahead of time so it's cached in ram, the top-level list buttons like the NPC and story list are like this... once you load them the first time they're fast. Other pauses are unavoidable, network traffic pauses are like this. Hopefully when they get to working on optimization after connection issues and critical bugs are sorted, the pausing situation will improve. I agree that it's pretty serious and quite irritating.

The 15% CPU number is really 100% of a single core or CPU thread, fyi. If you look at the CPU tab of your performance monitor, you'll almost certainly see one core working super hard and 7 mostly idle, as FGU is (mostly) single-threaded.