PDA

View Full Version : Distance Between Players

Sigurd
January 30th, 2007, 16:34
I was just curous to hear about the geographic distance covered by their games.

I'm in Ontario EST and my games standardly have people from 1 even 2 timezones different. For a while the DM was in Nashville and some of the players were in British Columbia.

I think thats pretty amazing personally. I wonder if its possible to stage a game where the sun never sets on the world of Faerun (or any setting :) )

I have to say there has never been a huge relationship between distance and problems. The far greater factor has been regional storms and power surges, and the quality of their ISP.

What are your experiences? How big is your gaming table.

richvalle
January 30th, 2007, 16:59
I DM in Chicago. I have several players here in the city with me but one player is in Atlanta, GA and one is Seatle, WA.

rv

ChrisGormley
January 30th, 2007, 18:04
I am a player in Columbus, Ohio. The DM is in Milwaukee and other players range all the way from California to New York. We usually have 8 to 9 people playing regularly.

- cg

joshuha
January 30th, 2007, 18:19
I DM from the NYC area (Jersey City). Have 2 players in Florida and 3 in Australia. Although one of the players was in Singapore for the intro session so we were spread out pretty far.

sunbeam60
January 30th, 2007, 18:32
I GM from England, got three players from Denmark and one from Brazil. The time difference makes it a little interesting planning games, but it's not so bad really.

Oberoten
January 30th, 2007, 19:10
Swede here. Gaming with some wonderful people. Gm from dear old US of A, One player from Italy one from Spain and two Swedes.

mr_h
January 30th, 2007, 20:09
All mine are in the USA: Michigan, Iowa, Florida (Soon to be North Carolina), and Connit.....Conne....Cone..., that state with the abbreviation CT.

Yenooc
January 30th, 2007, 20:42
My group spans the continental US, with players in New Jersey, California, and Washington (state). This coming weekend, one of those players will be on business in India, and we're going to see how the connection works from across the globe. :D

tdwyer11b
January 30th, 2007, 22:20
I DM from Colorado, the rest of my players are in Pennsylvania. But I'm trying to drag some players in from Montana and Nebraska also.

I've messed around with a few guys from Australia, demoing a ruleset I created, which was pretty cool.

Nokameeno
January 31st, 2007, 00:26
I DM out of Memphis TN and the majority of my players are in Little Rock AR. All but one of my players have UPS hooked up to mitigate any power issues and we have yet to have any such issue anyway.

thiha
January 31st, 2007, 01:32
I play as a PL in a weekly session group with DM from UK (Stuart), and PLs from European nations (UK, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland and Italy, if my memory is correct). It seems I'm only the Easterling enjoying FG for the moment. Hope more Asians will play d20 with FG, so that it will be supported with unicode fonts........but I'm afraid there'd be no such chance in my lifetime....

DM Greg
January 31st, 2007, 11:39
The last semi-weekly campaign I ran using FG had players from, NY, AK, FL and Australia. I live in Wisconsin so I had no one from my own timezone. The Australian was a student so could play in the mornings when I ran my game at 7:00 PM CST (-6 GMT).

The latest game I'm running is actually more local with my regular face-to-face group. We game during the week and it's hard to get 6 people (2 IT professionals, 1 college professor, 1 small business owner, 1 fork-lift driver and 1 stay-at-home dad) together at the same time.

Later,

Greg Volz

Craw
January 31st, 2007, 16:04
My current game is local, but a previous game (and hopefully future with FG2) spanned coast to coast in North America.

Wavestone
January 31st, 2007, 19:55
I play as a PL in a weekly session group with DM from UK (Stuart), and PLs from European nations (UK, Denmark, Sweden, Iceland and Italy, if my memory is correct). It seems I'm only the Easterling enjoying FG for the moment. Hope more Asians will play d20 with FG, so that it will be supported with unicode fonts........but I'm afraid there'd be no such chance in my lifetime....

I am a long time player in two of Stuarts campaigns, and I've seen players from several countries.. (in addition to the above mentioned, also Netherlands, Germany, South Africa, New Zealand, USA). Everyone has been welcome, as long there has been slots available, and you can play in english... no matter where you live. (Although the euro countries dominate, as it is in GMT time zone. The New Zealander does not play friday evening like the rest of us, but sat morning - works for him, it seems.) So, indeed - the sun never sets on Stuart's campaign!! :D

edit - Problems have mostly been intermittent due to maps/masking layers/tokens... wich tend to dump most players. Or blackouts in the UK (happened at least twice, as I remember..) Not so much geography.. a few players have had less stable ISP's and tended to get dropped a bit.. (seem to remember the former player from South Africa was in this category.)

Oh, and for the record, I'm the swedish player.. :) (A.K.A Hargin/Kartok)

Jingo
February 1st, 2007, 06:49
I like FG not only because it has the ability to span large geographical distances, but because I can play and still be at the beck and call of my wife and kids should the need arive. I DM for players from our old table-top group. Most of us still live within a fifteen minute drive of one another here in Utah but schedules are such that we can get consistent play time weekday evenings after 9 PM. This allows me to do that but still remain at home. We do have one player who has moved to California that joins us weekly.

Tokuriku
February 1st, 2007, 09:33
I'm presently in japan and I'm seeking a nice game.
Sorry to say none have attracted my attention up to date :(
But I'm scheduled to play one with the friends I left in Québec (Canada).

Sigurd
February 1st, 2007, 20:10
I quoted some of the text from this thead over in Enworld:

https://www.enworld.org/showpost.php?p=3316291&postcount=102

I hope nobody minds. My thoughts were that this is about as public as the other board and I thought the opinions were more powerful as short blurbs.

If you are curous to see if you were quoted follow the link :). If you were one of the people I quoted, thank you.

Sigurd

ldyparadox99
February 3rd, 2007, 14:37
I DM from the netherlands and have the BF playing (sitting behind me infact), 2 people from Belgium, one of my old mates from my FL gaming group, and someone all the way from California.

I've also had someone from the UK and South Africa in the past.

The game I play in have two from Cali I think, me from the Netherlands, one from Italy and not sure where the other one or two are from. Think it's the midwestern states...

Overall I absolutely love the ability to be able to play with old friends that I can no longer game with in person because of the distance!

keltheos
February 22nd, 2007, 01:03
3 in local CA, 1 in Missouri, 2 in Washington state.

Griogre
February 22nd, 2007, 01:51
3 in various parts of California, 1 in Maine, 1 in Germany.