PDA

View Full Version : Alias with FGU

dragonheels
April 3rd, 2020, 11:43
I was wondering if the alias system allowing not to reveal one's IP address will be available on FGU, for those wishing to keep on using local games...

damned
April 3rd, 2020, 11:52
All your player has to do is check netstat and they know your IP...
In a true peer to peer the other side will always know your address Im afraid.

dragonheels
April 3rd, 2020, 11:56
Well, I don't mind my player seeing my IP. It's just that it changes regularly (due to my ISP). The alias is a great way to avoid changing the Numbers... :)

damned
April 3rd, 2020, 12:03
Use the lobby and if you have the port forwarding setup they will be pushed that way almost like the alias.
Or thats how it should work...

Imagix
April 3rd, 2020, 18:35
Or use some dynamic dns service.

Kelrugem
April 3rd, 2020, 18:43
Well, I don't mind my player seeing my IP. It's just that it changes regularly (due to my ISP). The alias is a great way to avoid changing the Numbers... :)

The GM name (as in the forums) is the alias in FGU :) Use that to connect to the host's game :) (or tell your players what your name is in the forums :) )

Trenloe
April 3rd, 2020, 19:55
The GM name (as in the forums) is the alias in FGU :) Use that to connect to the host's game :) (or tell your players what your name is in the forums :) )
This doesn't work for "Local" (direct) connections. The GMs name will only work for cloud connections.

Imagix
April 3rd, 2020, 20:32
Say, would it be feasible for LAN hosted to be published to the lobby? That way the LAN folks still get the direct connections from players to GM (thus doesn't have to be brokered by FG's servers), but you don't have the "what is your IP" or "what is your IP today" questions. Leave the public/private radio button so that the folks that really want to be dark don't have to publish to the lobby. Net result is that the lobby could control whether it has to draw the connections to FG's servers, or point them directly to the GM machine. (Even better if the player machine could also get the internal IP, and test if it is reachable so that the LAN connection wouldn't have to hairpin via the user's firewall... or perhaps avoid brokering through FG.) Probably some edge-cases in there that may need some more thought on.

damned
April 4th, 2020, 01:14
Say, would it be feasible for LAN hosted to be published to the lobby? That way the LAN folks still get the direct connections from players to GM (thus doesn't have to be brokered by FG's servers), but you don't have the "what is your IP" or "what is your IP today" questions. Leave the public/private radio button so that the folks that really want to be dark don't have to publish to the lobby. Net result is that the lobby could control whether it has to draw the connections to FG's servers, or point them directly to the GM machine. (Even better if the player machine could also get the internal IP, and test if it is reachable so that the LAN connection wouldn't have to hairpin via the user's firewall... or perhaps avoid brokering through FG.) Probably some edge-cases in there that may need some more thought on.

If you have LAN working but you use Lobby you will get the game published and the broker will tell the clients to direct connect.
Either way, this way, direct connect or using a dynamic dns, anyone that knows what they are doing can find your IP address in 5seconds.

Kelrugem
April 4th, 2020, 03:19
This doesn't work for "Local" (direct) connections. The GMs name will only work for cloud connections.

Aah, thanks for clarification :) I indeed thought that is a complete replacement of the alias system, also for the port-forwarding option :)

Imagix
April 4th, 2020, 03:48
I can guarantee that if you use the lobby, you're not going to get a direct connection. Just to verify, I fired up Wireshark to watch the network traffic and there's _nothing_ going to port 1802. The entire thing is brokered via FG's servers.

damned
April 4th, 2020, 03:51
You may be right - lets test. Here is my LAN connection no Lobby enabled.

Imagix
April 4th, 2020, 04:24
I stand corrected (and am a little more impressed). After the initial negotiation, it does actually appear like I'm exchanging traffic directly with the server.

damned
April 4th, 2020, 04:32
I stand corrected (and am a little more impressed). After the initial negotiation, it does actually appear like I'm exchanging traffic directly with the server.

I had thought that it would send it to my UDP1802 though which it isnt.
Still learning how FGU works (or doesnt).

Moon Wizard
April 4th, 2020, 04:47
The logging will specify what kind of connection it was able to establish: DIRECT, MEDIATED or RELAY.

When using the cloud server, the port used is random like a web connection.

Regards,
JPG