PDA

View Full Version : How to Migrate a FGC Campaign to FGU

LordEntrails
April 3rd, 2020, 04:22
(Note, campaigns can not be migrated from FGU to FGC, it is a one-way upgrade process only.)

Finding your Campaign Data
To start with, you need to know where your FG data is stored. We will call these two locations <FGC Data> and <FGU Data>, one for classic and one for Unity.
The FGC data folder can be found from the FGC launch screen, it is the folder icon in the top right corner.
The FGU data folder can be found from the FGU launch screen, it is the folder icon in the top left corner.
Inside the Data Folder is a ‘campaigns’ sub-folder. Inside that is a folder with the names of each campaign.

Migrating the Campaign Data
While FGC and FGU are not running, copy (don’t move) the ‘<FGC Data>/campaigns/<your campaign name>’ folder to ‘<FGU Data>/campaigns/<your campaign name>’
Start FGU and Host Campaign to access your migrated campaign!

Be Warned

All players must have a FG forum account to join an FGU game
Expect to have to Clear Ownership on the PCs as it is likely the player name will have changed since the forum username will be used.
Expect Player notes to have to be re-done because of the player name change. To do this, it is easiest if the player creates a new note and the GM then copies the contents from the old note to the new note (and then delete the old note).
Image mask data will be lost when migrated. For technical info on why and a work around, see; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?62879-BUG-Masked-Images-not-retained&p=550539&viewfull=1#post550539
Image "Drawings" will be lost when migrating. FGC and FGU use different architecture for storing the drawing information and are not compatible with each other.

More Info:
FGC Data Files Overview; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview
FGU Data Files Overview; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/4063328/Data+Files+Overview

Greywolf411
April 20th, 2020, 17:57
When I copy the folder into the appropriate area for the FGU it oddly doesn't have the most recent campaign data. Instead it is from awhile ago. When I open the campaign in classic the characters, and other changes are "up to date". If I'm copying a campaign folder from one to the other where is it pulling this old data from for the Unity version?

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2020, 19:00
When I copy the folder into the appropriate area for the FGU it oddly doesn't have the most recent campaign data. Instead it is from awhile ago. When I open the campaign in classic the characters, and other changes are "up to date". If I'm copying a campaign folder from one to the other where is it pulling this old data from for the Unity version?
The only thing I can think of is your are not pulling the most recent campaign data.

Did you open your campaign folder from the FG Data folder icon on your FGC launch screen?
Are you sure you have the correct campaign name?
Check the file modification dates, do those match what you expect?

Greywolf411
April 20th, 2020, 19:55
The only thing I can think of is your are not pulling the most recent campaign data.

Did you open your campaign folder from the FG Data folder icon on your FGC launch screen?
Are you sure you have the correct campaign name?
Check the file modification dates, do those match what you expect?

I rechecked and it was user error on my part. I had an earlier campaign that I had grabbed instead. It now appears to be working correctly, except one of my player's character/token icon is missing. The others are there, just not his. Looking into that.

Also when I start up I get this message on load, which is I'm guessing the missing character/token icon?

[4/20/2020 2:49:51 PM] FGU v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-04-17)
[4/20/2020 2:49:51 PM] Launcher scene starting.
[4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Daily session backup created.
[4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Starting private server mode. [(10.10.251.175:1802) (fe80::3984:1d67:f05d:85e2:1802)]
[4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Game server started. [10.10.251.175:1802]
[4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Launcher scene exiting.
[4/20/2020 2:50:04 PM] Tabletop scene starting.
[4/20/2020 2:50:55 PM] [<color="red">ERROR</color>] Graphic Load: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Greywolf411
April 20th, 2020, 21:22
It was that the original token/image was in .PSD format, which Classic could read but Unity can't apparently.

Changed it to .PNG and it works.

LordEntrails
April 21st, 2020, 06:06
It was that the original token/image was in .PSD format, which Classic could read but Unity can't apparently.

Changed it to .PNG and it works.
Good work. Happy gaming!

GBE300
September 7th, 2020, 08:13
Hi Guys, Additional with the migration, will I need to copy across other things from my FGC data folder to the FCU folder? I'm refering to things like my tokens, portraits and/or characters as well ? Thanks.

Zacchaeus
September 7th, 2020, 09:31
If you have images and tokens that you created yourself or that exist as modules in your modules folder then, yes, you'll want to copy those across. Characters in the campaign are in the campaign data so they'll come with the campaign, but if you have charcaters from other campaigns that you want to use in Unity then you'll want to export those from the campaigns they are in and import into Unity.

GBE300
September 8th, 2020, 02:15
Thanks Zacchaeus!

Shimrath
October 6th, 2020, 22:43
Hello! Thanks to LordEntrails for pointing me to this thread from my other inquiry about running FGC and FGU on the same computer.

Quick question: As i am simply copying the FGC campaign for migration to FGU, i assume that the campaign will still run as normal using FGC?

Thanks,
Shimrath.

Zacchaeus
October 6th, 2020, 23:09
Yes. But clearly each campaign will update differently if you play both.

LordEntrails
October 20th, 2020, 16:50
Added a warning about mask image data on the OP.

Callum
November 11th, 2020, 11:48
Player notes don't seem to be accessible to players after migration. They still exist (the GM can see them), but the players don't seem to own them any more - they can't edit them. Is there any way to fix this?

Zacchaeus
November 11th, 2020, 13:34
Player notes don't seem to be accessible to players after migration. They still exist (the GM can see them), but the players don't seem to own them any more - they can't edit them. Is there any way to fix this?

Notes are allocated to whoever created them. Unless the players are logging into Unity with exactly the same name as they logged into Classic then they won't be able to see anything that they created in Classic. I don't have a solution for you other than for the DM to copy/paste the notes into Story entries and share those with the players (Although the players won't be able to edit this). Another option is to copy/paste the notes into this extension https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?54284-Player-Agency-Extension

Trenloe
November 11th, 2020, 13:36
Have the players create a new note (so they own it) and then the GM can copy/paste the contents of the old note to the new note. This will give the players ownership of the newly pasted data to edit as they require.

Zacchaeus
November 11th, 2020, 14:52
Have the players create a new note (so they own it) and then the GM can copy/paste the contents of the old note to the new note. This will give the players ownership of the newly pasted data to edit as they require.

What a jolly fine idea. :)

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2020, 15:21
You mean like bullet #3 under the Be Warned section of the first post? :p

Callum
November 11th, 2020, 17:45
I read the first post before posting my comment - I don't know how I missed that. Sorry!

In the end, I edited the db.xml to replace all the instances of the old player names with the new ones.

Thanks for the help!

Zacchaeus
November 11th, 2020, 18:17

I didn't read it - so my bad.

LordEntrails
November 11th, 2020, 21:06
lol, not a problem to any of you. I just wanted to poke you all a little bit :)

CaryScott
January 6th, 2021, 22:58
good afternoon,
got a question on this topic. I migrated a campaign to unity, and was able to move all my tokens and the general campaign data... Thanks! However, some of the tables I had created did not move over as well.

In classic I exported as separate modules some of the tables I use a lot. I was then able to include them in separate campaigns, by selecting multiple modules in the library section under data modules. In unity I only see the modules I created in the beginning load screen, and I can only choose one module. Is here a way to transfer tables from classic to unity aside from the table importer? or do I have to have a classic and a unity up at the same time to transfer all the data into the import table function?

These are unique tables and not available on PDF, or from rulebooks.

Fear Grounds
January 6th, 2021, 23:08
good afternoon,
got a question on this topic. I migrated a campaign to unity, and was able to move all my tokens and the general campaign data... Thanks! However, some of the tables I had created did not move over as well.

In classic I exported as separate modules some of the tables I use a lot. I was then able to include them in separate campaigns, by selecting multiple modules in the library section under data modules. In unity I only see the modules I created in the beginning load screen, and I can only choose one module. Is here a way to transfer tables from classic to unity aside from the table importer? or do I have to have a classic and a unity up at the same time to transfer all the data into the import table function?

C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\SmiteWorks\Fantasy Grounds

Did you place the modules you made inside of the Fantasy Grounds Unity Modules folder? It sounds like they may be in the Extensions folder...

CaryScott
January 6th, 2021, 23:40
Thanks, I had transferred it from the campaigns folder and not the module folder. Works now.

Laerithryn
February 14th, 2021, 07:16
Hope this thread isn't dead... Followed initial post on migrating from FGC to FGU and every thing seemed to be just fine until I tried to connect a second session of FGU to simulate a player connecting to my host session. Which connects fine as well but the issue is with maps and LOS. The host session is fine LOS works for my migrated material. But the mock player session show nothing but a BLACK map with the tokens visible but nothing else. Any ideas?

Zacchaeus
February 14th, 2021, 09:08
Did you click on the tokens? Do you also have the mask selected? You may also want to try re-applying the tokens to the map from the CT. See the second video here on how the LoS works for DMs and players https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity&p=492112#post492112

(https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55797-How-do-I-in-Unity&p=492112#post492112)

LordEntrails
February 14th, 2021, 20:52
Threads not dead. If Mr Zs suggestion don't resolve, please give us some screen shots. Also make sure the player tokens are selected/active and that LOS is turned on and mask if off.

Laerithryn
February 17th, 2021, 21:09
Thanks to all for the replies. After more testing with other maps, I found it was only the one. Further investigation revealed a mask applied I had no idea was even there. Problem resolved, again thanks, everyone! Cheers!

LordEntrails
March 18th, 2021, 01:54
Added an additional warning to the OP that I realized was missing;

Image "Drawings" will be lost when migrating. FGC and FGU use different architecture for storing the drawing information and are not compatible with each other.