PDA

View Full Version : 5E Extension - Blindsight and Truesight handling

kentmccullough
April 2nd, 2020, 20:22
This extension adds in default effects for Blindsight, Truesight, and Blur.

The idea is that anyone with the Blindsight or Truesight effect on them will ignore Invisibility for purposes of advantage (from the invisible person) or disadvantage (against the invisible person).
I've also changed how the blur spell is parsed so the effect it gives is Blur; (C); instead of GRANTDISATK; (C); This allows for players or npcs with the blindsight or truesight effect to ignore the effects of blur while granting disadvantage to any who do not have that effect.

If anyone has any questions or suggestions to this let me know.

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2020, 20:31
Nice Kent, Welcome to the forums and great contribution as your first post! Glad to have you with us :)

Stv
April 2nd, 2020, 20:45
Nice one,
Will give it a try.

Cheers, Steve.

Bashoomba
April 2nd, 2020, 22:27
I encouraged him to make it tyvm.

daggerfortysix
May 5th, 2020, 17:00
Great extension! One issue I found is that if a PC has Blur (S)(C) from Rob2e's Spell Coding, it doest not work as his version of Blur is not parced the same as the PHB version. Just food for thought; it is a very easy workaround. We certainly do not expect any extension to withstand every other mod or extension out there. Keep up the good work.

kentmccullough
May 5th, 2020, 17:14
Let me know how his coding effect looks and I'll try to update to make sure that it's handled properly. I would think it would since his effect coding always has the name in it and I believe I just added "Blur" as an effect that's handled in and of itself... If you tell me how it's parsed I can probably look at fixing it.

daggerfortysix
May 5th, 2020, 18:29
It is simply: Blur (C); GRANTDISATK which is what the original Blur did anyway, I believe.

kentmccullough
May 5th, 2020, 18:33
Ah, the problem is it's "Blur (C);" instead of "Blur; (C);" Easy fix would be for you to just add the ; into the effect yourself, changing the code to handle that is doable, but awkward. Let me know if that is an acceptable fix for you, I know a lot of people use rob2e's effect coding so it may be worth while just adding it into the extension, or contacting rob and asking him to update the module with that change...

At the same time however, the GRANTDISATK shouldn't be there with this extension as it automatically handles that part and then ignores it if the other person has truesight or blindsight. So I'd just change using the rob2e coding for this, and use the PHB one since I adjusted how that spell is automatically parsed with this extension.

daggerfortysix
May 5th, 2020, 18:40
Ya, cool. Its is very easy to work around. I appreciate your extensions. These little things are actually something I enjoy working through as a Fantasy Grounds user. It keeps me it tune with the inner working of the rules.

Grommit57
May 7th, 2020, 19:40
Nice. Just picked up all your stuff from DMGuild too. Nice work.

Wargrim Deephelm
July 10th, 2020, 03:13
Great extensions; I picked up your bundle on the DM's Guild. Your Pact Tactics extension does not play well with this Blindsight and Truesight extension. An invisible tagged creature ignores the blindsight and truesight tags when attacking, which applies advantage to the roll when it should not. Also, the Flanking and Ranged extension produces the same conflict with the invisible tag.

kentmccullough
July 10th, 2020, 09:47
I'll take a look and try and sort out what's going wrong there when I have a chance. Thanks for the info!

Saiki Kusuo
July 10th, 2020, 15:40
I am also having similar issues. I was using the expanded blindsight/truesight extensions by ScriedRaven (which this extension is the core of to my understanding) and also had to turn off both pack tactics & flanking/ranged extensions if I wanted to use the vision effects :-(

SmackDaddy
August 31st, 2020, 17:34
Have the issues between this extension and pact tactics been resolved?

nephranka
October 30th, 2020, 12:37
I am also using the expanded blindsight/truesight extensions by ScriedRaven. I understand it's core code comes from this ext and it does appear the issue is a carry over from this code. I can confirm the same behavior in both.

Eriwan
April 12th, 2021, 05:08
Recently I've try to use this extension on FGU (and on FGC), and this line appears:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actor2_bat.lua"]:7: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)

While looking on ScriedRaven's forum's Extension post, someone pointed out that "ActorManager2" simply does not exist anymore, therefore all the reference need to be change, from my understanding, to "ActorManager5E".

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?59174-5E-Vision-and-Sunlight-Sensitivity&p=581042&highlight=#post581042

bmos
April 12th, 2021, 12:08
Ah, the problem is it's "Blur (C);" instead of "Blur; (C);" Easy fix would be for you to just add the ; into the effect yourself, changing the code to handle that is doable, but awkward.

local sSpellName = "Blur (C); GRANTDISATK"
sSpellName = sSpellName:gsub("%s?%(%u%)", "")
This results in sSpellName containing "Blur; GRANTDISATK"
I'm sure there's a neater way of handling any number of tags, but this can remove up to 3 tags like that from the end of the spell name.

Recently I've try to use this extension on FGU (and on FGC), and this line appears:
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_actor2_bat.lua"]:7: attempt to index global 'ActorManager2' (a nil value)
Yes, this extension hasn't been updated to work with the ruleset changes that were released on Feb 16, 2021.

Ethkazin
May 17th, 2021, 07:14
is the extension still useful with the new light update?

macduffie465
July 16th, 2021, 19:15
is the extension still useful with the new light update?

I think there is still a use case for it, but it isn't working for me at the moment. I just installed it, updated the ActorManager2 reference above to ActorManager5E in to 2 of the 4 script files, and dropped blindsight on a creature. It still had disadvantage on the attack against my Gloomstalker in complete darkness (eg. Invisible effect on).

I just started messing with effects myself, so I'm not sure how blindsight and truesight were implemented before. I wonder if effects are handled differently (internally) than senses now. I would think that a sense would just be coded like any other effect; just be a particular kind of effect, but I'm a noob.

DustyLensCap42
March 15th, 2023, 23:54
I was able to update this so it no longer causes errors, but I'm not the author so I'm not sure it would be cool for me to share it?

SmackDaddy
March 16th, 2023, 18:16
I was able to update this so it no longer causes errors, but I'm not the author so I'm not sure it would be cool for me to share it?

Usually, you could share via a sub-post, or if the OP is still around, get their permission to repost it for others to use with appropriate credit given. I have seen a ton of people "fixing" extensions when the OPs haven't been around for a while and simply attaching it to a post with the OP's thread.

EllivasKram
March 16th, 2023, 18:24
Kent is very much still around. Maybe just not updating this extn.

Find him on Team Twohy

Join the Team Twohy community Discord server to engage with us directly: discord.gg/rob2e.

kentmccullough
April 28th, 2023, 04:18

I've not done anything with this extension in forever and ever, someone else I think has done some updates to it as well, I have no problems with updates to this extension being posted / shared.