PDA

View Full Version : Module Activation - Help needed

darthfrodo
January 29th, 2007, 06:46
Greetings Travelers,
I've been trying to load modules, specifically adventures that I purchased or downloaded from RPGNow and Digital Adventures. None of them show up either at the first selection screen when I can choose to Load Campaign or Create New Campaign. Nor do I find them in the Module Activation window in-game.
I have tried putting them in the modules folder and in the campaign folder. I have tried unzipping them as well as leaving them zipped. I have left them in their individual folder and I have taken the files all out to leave them loose.
Nada. :confused:
And after searching thes forum I've come to the conclusion that I'm the only one who is having this problem, since no one else has even mentioned it! :(
So...what am I missing?
On a related note, I have not installed the d20SRD ruleset. Is there an advantage to doing so?
Thanks for your help!
Darth Frodo

MaineCoon
January 29th, 2007, 07:53
the .mod files go into the modules folder. They are linked to a specific ruleset, so if you purchased a module for a different ruleset than what you are using, it will not be available.

Oberoten
January 29th, 2007, 09:36
Basically :

Inside the module DB file there is a line defining what ruleset it will work with. If the module is made for the D20Srd ruleset it will have to be changed to work with any other.

Either that or install the ruleset as well.

kalmarjan
January 29th, 2007, 11:32
Also, if you are using a custom ruleset, open up your base.xml file in your custom ruleset and add the following code:

<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20" />
</importinfo>

That should help you in this case, and you will not have to modify the module files.

Sandeman

darthfrodo
January 29th, 2007, 20:15
So...now I can get several campaigns to show up by putting them in the Campaign folder. :cool: However, I still don't see any of the modules, and nothing is in the list for Module Activation, from the five small buttons in the upper right of the FG desktop. I even successfuly exported a module, but it wouldn't show up.
Further ideas?
Thanks so far! :D
Darth Frodo

kalmarjan
January 29th, 2007, 21:38
Where are you installing the module files?

I suspect you are trying to install them into the campaign\modules folder, which only really holds the campaign images.

You need to install the module files in modules folder in the directory you installed Fantasy Grounds into.

In your case, it may be:

C:\FantasyGrounds\modules

Try that out, and see if that works. :) The only other question that I can ask is if you have the full version? IIRC, the modules function will not work on the demo version. If all other things fail, you may have to reinstall FG.

Sandeman

darthfrodo
January 29th, 2007, 23:26
Kalmarjan,
I do have the full version and I am putting .mod files in the modules folder as you stated, but now only the mod for the module I am running shows up. (I'll take that as a clue!) I am thinking that the other two mods are for Arcana Evolved and I haven't loaded that ruleset yet. :o
I'm starting to get the hang of it! ::pant,pant::
Thanks for the insight.
Further...
Darth Frodo

kalmarjan
January 30th, 2007, 00:13
Hmm. If you have the ruleset, then all is good. If not, you have two options:

1) Purchase the fine ruleset at Digital Adventures Product Page (https://digitaladventures.net/fg_accessories.htm) {Shameless self-plug. With all new graphics!:) }

2) If you have the module, but only want the storyline stuff, you can access the module stuff by editing your base.xml file in your ruleset to read:

<importinfo>
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20" />
<acceptfrom ruleset="d20-AE" />
</importinfo>

Make sure all the modules are in the correct folder, and you should then see it.

Only thing about the second option is you will not be able to use the functions of the AE set, if the NPCs are in a different format.

Cheers,

Sandeman

darthfrodo
January 30th, 2007, 18:46
Kalmarjan,
It makes sense now what you get from editing the base.xml file.
I haven't purchased the AE ruleset yet, because I haven't investigated the book. Once we as a group are sure we are going to use Fantasy Grounds we will probably migrate to AE since you folks are doing such a great job of supporting the product line.
Now onto the next line of investigation: how to build my own modules. :)
thanks,
Darth Frodo

kalmarjan
January 30th, 2007, 21:32
This one may be a little easier to do:

Make all of your images and entries into the story. Once you are satisified, inside FG, type the command:

/export {filename} {Description_of_filename}

Just replace the text in the brackets with what you want. For example:

/export dungeon_of_doom.mod Dungeon of Doom

Hope that helps you out.

Sandeman