PDA

View Full Version : LOS and impassable terrain

Houndy
April 2nd, 2020, 12:58
Is it possible to have terrain impassable?

I have a top down city map, I like the way that terrain works in that my players can see the roofs of the building, but not past it into the street. However, they are still able to walk into the building roof.

The wall, stops people passing through it, but it doesnt reveal the building roof.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

RoleforFun
April 2nd, 2020, 14:26
Is it possible to have terrain impassable?

I have a top down city map, I like the way that terrain works in that my players can see the roofs of the building, but not past it into the street. However, they are still able to walk into the building roof.

The wall, stops people passing through it, but it doesnt reveal the building roof.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Currently there is not. The only way to make an occluder impassable is to use either walls or doors. Terrain is always passable as far as I know. The only option I can think of for this particular situation is to add a single wall line halfway through the roof, so that people can see the rooftop on their particular side but not traverse through it. It's not ideal, but it's the closest you're going to get to what you're looking for. Hope that helps!

Houndy
April 2nd, 2020, 14:37
Currently there is not. The only way to make an occluder impassable is to use either walls or doors. Terrain is always passable as far as I know. The only option I can think of for this particular situation is to add a single wall line halfway through the roof, so that people can see the rooftop on their particular side but not traverse through it. It's not ideal, but it's the closest you're going to get to what you're looking for. Hope that helps!

Thank you RoleforFun, I think I will just use the old mask for now, until this option is added. :)

RoleforFun
April 2nd, 2020, 14:53
Sounds good. Happy gaming!

Zacchaeus
April 2nd, 2020, 14:54
If you want players to see the roof of a building don't draw walls around the building. Use the terrain occluder tool and draw around one side of the roof and then around the other. If there are more than two sides to the roof draw a terrain occluder around each section. Don't cover the entire roof with just one occluder.

Done corretcty the players will see into but not out of the roof section that they can see. If they climb onto the roof they they'll be able to reveal more.

RoleforFun
April 2nd, 2020, 15:24
If you want players to see the roof of a building don't draw walls around the building. Use the terrain occluder tool and draw around one side of the roof and then around the other. If there are more than two sides to the roof draw a terrain occluder around each section. Don't cover the entire roof with just one occluder.

Done corretcty the players will see into but not out of the roof section that they can see. If they climb onto the roof they they'll be able to reveal more.

You're right as usual Zacchaeus, but I think he wants them to see onto the roof, but not be able to walk through it - which is the issue with using only terrain occluders. He wants the vision to pass through, but not the movement, which as far as I know is currently impossible.

dwg1996
April 4th, 2020, 22:20
I stumbled on this discussion while searching for an explanation of something we discovered in a test run today. I had a large forest battlemap that I added a bunch of terrain elipses to for each tree ( (30 or more) and two cliffs. A handful appear to block movement but only one way? I don't have any idea what I did to cause this, but I liked it as tokens shouldn't normally be able to run through trees. It seems to add something to the above discussion? It does seem like in certain circumstances terrain will block movement. As far as I can tell the rest of it (line of sight) appears to work as intended. Hope this helps and I hope someone can explain it! I like the idea of having some terrain which can block movement but not vision or variations on the theme. A cliff that you can walk up to and see over, but can't go past (without taking a specific action like climbing down), etc. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help clarify this!

Zacchaeus
April 4th, 2020, 23:00
Not sure what you have done but terrain occluders don’t block movement. It could be an issue so if you can reproduce it you might want to post it in a separate post and include the campaign file in your report.

dwg1996
April 5th, 2020, 03:04
Not sure what you have done but terrain occluders don’t block movement. It could be an issue so if you can reproduce it you might want to post it in a separate post and include the campaign file in your report.

Zacchaeus, I was able to reproduce the effect. Where should I post and how do I include the campaign file (sorry, never used a forum before etc.) and am having trouble figuring out how to get campaign file to attach. Also, I am a bit uncomfortable posting it to a public forum. In a nutshell, I grabbed a map off the internet, added a bunch of terrain (they were green terrain, not red like walls or blue like doors). The one's that seemed to block movement were ones where the terrain I created overlapped one another, but this was not 100 percent. I just attempted to attach a couple screen captures that may help illustrate the issue.33091