PDA

View Full Version : LOS not 5e RAW

El Condoro
April 2nd, 2020, 07:29
I know this is a really minor fringe case and probably dealt with somewhere but I couldn't find it.

According to the 5e DMG p. 251, LOS is established if any point of a square can trace an unobstructed line to any part of a target square.

In FGU, the centre of the square is used.

If I was using FGU in a game, I would just say the FGU LOS sets what can be seen/targeted for ease but I wonder if it might cause an issue for someone. See the attached file where by RAW the target would be in LOS but in FGU it is not. Fringe case, I know, but I'm curious and if anyone can post a link to a rationale or design decision (other game systems?), I'd appreciate it.

RoleforFun
April 2nd, 2020, 14:35
I know this is a really minor fringe case and probably dealt with somewhere but I couldn't find it.

According to the 5e DMG p. 251, LOS is established if any point of a square can trace an unobstructed line to any part of a target square.

In FGU, the centre of the square is used.

If I was using FGU in a game, I would just say the FGU LOS sets what can be seen/targeted for ease but I wonder if it might cause an issue for someone. See the attached file where by RAW the target would be in LOS but in FGU it is not. Fringe case, I know, but I'm curious and if anyone can post a link to a rationale or design decision (other game systems?), I'd appreciate it.

Good catch. This variation from 5e RaW has been brought up before. The devs are aware of the difference. Whether or not LOS will ever be adjusted for 5e mechanics is an open question since it's something 5e ruleset specific and not a universal mechanic to all rulesets. Keep an eye out for updates to see if it ever gets implemented in the future.

The post I'm referencing where it has been brought up before can be found here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?52439-Current-LoS-and-how-it-calculates-has-an-inherent-problem&p=465218&viewfull=1#post465218