PDA

View Full Version : Manager Character functionality in Unity.

DrakosDJ
April 1st, 2020, 22:49
Hello, this question may have been asked but I haven't see it so here goes.

Will Unity include the Manage Character functionality like Classic has? I don;t see a button for it on the main screen.

Moon Wizard
April 1st, 2020, 23:29
FGU will not have a Manage Characters button. Instead, just create a new campaign called "Characters", and create your characters there.

Once you have joined a campaign, you can import any character from any campaign that you have joined or that is local to your machine.

Regards,
JPG

DrakosDJ
April 2nd, 2020, 05:36
Thanks for the info, does the main program support the Rolling/Point Buy that the Character Manager did?

LordEntrails
April 2nd, 2020, 05:49
Thanks for the info, does the main program support the Rolling/Point Buy that the Character Manager did?
Rolling yes. See the new die rolling strings for usage. I think point buy will have to be implemented in each ruleset, and therefore won't be part of initial full release.

gajet480
May 28th, 2020, 01:48
Can a character created in my friends campaign be imported into another friends campaign?

LordEntrails
May 28th, 2020, 05:05
Yes.

The High Druid
May 28th, 2020, 17:52
Can a character created in my friends campaign be imported into another friends campaign?

Yes.

Will we have to remember to export the character before disconnecting from the first campaign? Or to put it another way, where do we find the character to import into the new game, without the manage character bit? (I've not looked at this bit of unity at all yet)

Trenloe
May 28th, 2020, 18:12
See here for how character upload/access works in Unity: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55457-Manager-Character-functionality-in-Unity&p=489474&viewfull=1#post489474

LordEntrails
May 28th, 2020, 18:13
No. On the PC Selection Window when you go to Import FG will allow you to select a character from any local campaign of the same ruleset.

Steelbeard
August 10th, 2020, 02:32
FGU will not have a Manage Characters button. Instead, just create a new campaign called "Characters", and create your characters there.

Once you have joined a campaign, you can import any character from any campaign that you have joined or that is local to your machine.

Regards,
JPG

I don't see how to do this. When I go to my new campaign "Charaters" and press the PC button the character selection window appears, but there is no option to import from a campaign I have joined as a player, only to open local files on my machine. Am I supposed to use that? Is there a file saved on my computer automatically now in addition to the one on my GM's server? I'm lost on how to save a copy of my updated character now that I have finished a session.

Steelbeard
August 10th, 2020, 02:41
See here for how character upload/access works in Unity: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?55457-Manager-Character-functionality-in-Unity&p=489474&viewfull=1#post489474

The link you have here is just a link to this very same thread.

LordEntrails
August 10th, 2020, 02:55
See the last paragraph of Part 1, Step 6 https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/4128796/CoreRPG+Character+Sheet#Step-6---Saving-the-character-sheet-as-a-template-for-other-characters

If you need more instruction than that, let us know.

Kelrugem
August 10th, 2020, 04:02
I don't see how to do this. When I go to my new campaign "Charaters" and press the PC button the character selection window appears, but there is no option to import from a campaign I have joined as a player, only to open local files on my machine. Am I supposed to use that? Is there a file saved on my computer automatically now in addition to the one on my GM's server? I'm lost on how to save a copy of my updated character now that I have finished a session.

There is currently a bug where your characters from another user's campaigns won't show up :) You need to wait a fix for that until you can use that standard procedure :) (I think it is about such a character, isn't it? The characters of your own campaigns should show up :) )

Trenloe
August 10th, 2020, 08:45
The link you have here is just a link to this very same thread.
Yes, reminding people to read that important post - because the person I was replying to obviously hadn't. I could have said "see post #2 above" (and I sometimes do) but I thought I'd make it easy for someone to just click.

TheDarkMantle
August 14th, 2020, 18:37

Regards,
JPG

This only works if your players all have the ruleset, so for groups like mine, where I bought Ultimate so my players don't need to buy anything, it won't work. We use Savage Worlds, and the ruleset isn't included.

It's a shame that something that is supposed to be better than the classic won't even have all the features of the classic version.

Trenloe
August 14th, 2020, 19:11
This only works if your players all have the ruleset, so for groups like mine, where I bought Ultimate so my players don't need to buy anything, it won't work. We use Savage Worlds, and the ruleset isn't included.

It's a shame that something that is supposed to be better than the classic won't even have all the features of the classic version.
How do your players use Manage Characters with FG Classic for Savage Worlds?

TheDarkMantle
August 16th, 2020, 18:11
How do your players use Manage Characters with FG Classic for Savage Worlds?

I've never used classic. When I started with Fantasy Grounds in April of this year, I decided to go with Unity. I didn't see the point in using the older one. I thought Unity would have the same features, which it advertises. But with extras.

Steelbeard
August 31st, 2020, 07:35
There is currently a bug where your characters from another user's campaigns won't show up :) You need to wait a fix for that until you can use that standard procedure :) (I think it is about such a character, isn't it? The characters of your own campaigns should show up :) )

Has the bug been fixed? Or perhaps it doesn't affect everyone? I followed Trenloe's directions and it worked just fine. I was able to import my character from the GM's server and then save a copy on mine, which is what I wanted.

Zacchaeus
August 31st, 2020, 08:29
Has the bug been fixed? Or perhaps it doesn't affect everyone? I followed Trenloe's directions and it worked just fine. I was able to import my character from the GM's server and then save a copy on mine, which is what I wanted.

Yes, it was fixed in a recent patch.

Neovirtus
August 31st, 2020, 15:57
I've never used classic. When I started with Fantasy Grounds in April of this year, I decided to go with Unity. I didn't see the point in using the older one. I thought Unity would have the same features, which it advertises. But with extras.

Generally it does. I think his point was that this was never a feature of the software. If people want to make characters for Savage Worlds they either need to have access to the ruleset, or be connected to a DM's server that has it loaded.

Roach
January 11th, 2021, 09:06
I have been looking for an answer, but even the search function did not help me.

I play in several West Marches campaigns, with numerous DMs, and several characters. For each game, I have to upload/import my character to the DM's table - with the unfortunate side effect that each table generates a new instance of the same character in the "import character" window. In addition, I maintain a "backup version" of the character on my own character management table/campaign. Which of course adds to the number of copies in that import window. Thus I have several instances of $ChharacterName that have the same character at the same level, internally only differring in the equipment, gold and XP departments.

Is there any way I can "cull" the import list, because I really don't need six copies of my character... ?

Trenloe
January 11th, 2021, 09:18
Is there any way I can "cull" the import list, because I really don't need six copies of my character... ?
If the PCs are in a player cache (previous games joined) then clear your cache. Go to <FG app data>\cache and remove the directories with the names of the campaigns you joined. The potential downside to this is you'll need to re-download some data if you join one of these games in the future, but that's just a matter of waiting a little while longer when connecting to the GM.

Sibuna
April 24th, 2021, 15:08
I'm trying to import a character from herolab. I've followed the guide at https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/preparing-your-pc-for-fantasy-grounds/ until the step of importing. With unity the utility is directly in fantasy grounds. I open characters click import character then import character from file, but i get an error message in the console saying "[ERROR] import: Missing root node". What am I doing wrong or is this no longer a supported function?

Trenloe
April 24th, 2021, 15:39
I'm trying to import a character from herolab. I've followed the guide at https://www.fg-con.com/information/pathfinder-society-organized-play/preparing-your-pc-for-fantasy-grounds/ until the step of importing. With unity the utility is directly in fantasy grounds.
The utility is not directly in Fantasy Grounds (for FG Classic or Unity). And the external application is not available for Unity (and is no longer supported for Classic).

Which ruleset are you using?

Sibuna
April 25th, 2021, 04:34
The utility is not directly in Fantasy Grounds (for FG Classic or Unity). And the external application is not available for Unity (and is no longer supported for Classic).

Which ruleset are you using?

Pathfinder 1e