PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Testing with a friend right now. Targeting doesn't do anything? 5e, Classic

mitchutz
March 31st, 2020, 19:53
My player can target (shift click for arrow) the enemy, but when he makes an attack roll, it just rolls as if he wasn't targeting anything. How can we make it so the hit and damage are applied automatically?

EDIT: It works when we drag the attack or damage roll to the target on the combat tracker, but not if you double click or drag to the chat box.

JohnD
March 31st, 2020, 20:31
You can hold the left ALT key and click on something to target it - either in the CT or the token on the map. Then a roll will automatically be against whatever you have targeted. If you hit your damage roll will be applied to the targeted creature(s).

You can drag and drop your attack on your target in either the CT or the token on the map. In this case, if you hit, you'd also drag and drop your damage roll onto the target in the same manner.

Dragging a roll to the chat box accomplishes nothing other than perhaps showing other players what the roll was.

Make sure your PCs go into the CT first then to the map. Same with NPCs/monsters - CT first and from there on to the map.

Zacchaeus
March 31st, 2020, 20:55
Note: It is CTRL+ Click to target. Not SHIFT not ALT

JohnD
March 31st, 2020, 21:37
Absolutely... :)

Crispyrat
April 11th, 2020, 19:11
My player can target (shift click for arrow) the enemy, but when he makes an attack roll, it just rolls as if he wasn't targeting anything. How can we make it so the hit and damage are applied automatically?

EDIT: It works when we drag the attack or damage roll to the target on the combat tracker, but not if you double click or drag to the chat box.

This same thing is happening to me. 5e, classic. If the players target something it works. If I as the GM do it, it doesn't work from targeting. Dragging and dropping onto a player works.

Zacchaeus
April 11th, 2020, 20:23
This same thing is happening to me. 5e, classic. If the players target something it works. If I as the GM do it, it doesn't work from targeting. Dragging and dropping onto a player works.

Make sure that both players and NPCs were first placed on the CT and then dragged from the CT onto the map. If you are using a preplaced encounter the NPCs will be placed correctly.

Crispyrat
April 11th, 2020, 20:27
Make sure that both players and NPCs were first placed on the CT and then dragged from the CT onto the map. If you are using a preplaced encounter the NPCs will be placed correctly.

Yep. Several times. Right now, it's one character, and one creature. Both placed into CT. She can target the mob, hit attack. It all works. I target her (the target shows in the CT), and I click attack. The attack rolls but doesn't show an attack against her. When I drag the attack it works fine.

[Update] I loaded up the sample campaign and it all worked. I re-loaded CoS (which is what I was on) and it all worked. Somehow I glitched it, but it's fine now. Thanks.

Griogre
April 11th, 2020, 21:04
As a DM your rolls are not shown to the player by default. There is a setting to change that. Do you see the roll in chat with an eye icon?

superteddy57
April 12th, 2020, 00:58
Moved to 5e forum for better visibility

mitchutz
April 13th, 2020, 08:24
I did solve the problem. I didn't have the grid laid out. >_> Thanks guys.