PDA

View Full Version : Classic or Unity

gpbuk1
March 31st, 2020, 11:33
Hi,

As a newbie I have signed up to Unity. I am not sure if I have actually done the right thing. Is there anything I am missing out on (FOMO) by going straight to Unity, rather than starting with Classic?

Thanks

Gareth

NuclearMonkey
March 31st, 2020, 13:54
Unity will have more support going forward, but classic is better for play right now. Classic is stable, but Unity has some added features like a map tool and LOS. Unity has not been optimized and seems to be a resource hog right now. Classic provides a better play experience, right now, but is missing some bells and whistles. A decision on which to buy would probably come down to how often you plan on using the program. For a weekly 2-3 hr game, I would go with classic to make sure bugs didn't eat into playing time. For monthly 3-5 hr sessions, I would go with unity knowing there might be times during the session everyone would need to log off and back on.

gpbuk1
March 31st, 2020, 14:24
Thank you :-)

Unity will have more support going forward, but classic is better for play right now. Classic is stable, but Unity has some added features like a map tool and LOS. Unity has not been optimized and seems to be a resource hog right now. Classic provides a better play experience, right now, but is missing some bells and whistles. A decision on which to buy would probably come down to how often you plan on using the program. For a weekly 2-3 hr game, I would go with classic to make sure bugs didn't eat into playing time. For monthly 3-5 hr sessions, I would go with unity knowing there might be times during the session everyone would need to log off and back on.

4wire
April 1st, 2020, 22:17
I've switched my three 4 hours per week sessions to Unity. So far so good. Note that we use the direct connect, not the cloud features.