PDA

View Full Version : Dragonlance: War of the Lance

mcgarnagle
January 25th, 2007, 16:23
Campaign

An epic adventure based off the popular Dragonlance Chronicles novels.

"It is widely believed that the Cataclysm occurred as a result of the Kingpriest's overweening ambition. The Kingpriest sought godhood to not only purge the lands of evil, but of anything that did not agree with his viewpoints. However, such an act would ultimately destroy the Balance, so Thirteen Warnings were sent to the Kingpriest and the nation of Istar. A storm battered the city for thirteen days, trees wept blood, and other ill omens were seen. The warnings were misinterpreted as signs from Gods of Darkness that wanted to stop the Kingpriest, and went unheeded. On the third day of the year 963 IA by the Istar calendar, the Kingpriest demanded that the gods answer his call. Instead, the Cataclysm occurred. Though it was widely believed that the gods abandoned Krynn, this was not so. Instead, most of Krynn's populace could not understand why the gods refused their cries for aid, and turned away from the gods for over three hundred years.

Ansalon felt the Cataclysm as a burning mountain that struck the Lordcity of Istar, though the changes wrought by the Cataclysm were far-reaching. The countries of Falthana and Seldjuk were destroyed; it is likely that Gather, Ismin, and Midrath were as well. The nation of Istar, as well as Dravinaar and Taol were radically altered and later subsumed into other nations. The Kingdom of Icereach was destroyed; its cities buried under snow and ice. The Blood Sea formed over the sunken city of Istar; the Maelstrom in its center supposedly sits over the ruined city. Northern Ergoth and Southern Ergoth were formed when Ergoth was separated from the mainland, while the Blood Sea Isles were formed from existing mountains to the west. Water rushes in from the Sirrion Ocean to form the New Sea, while waters recede from the port city of Tarsis." -- Excerpt from Dragonlance Nexus.

It has been around 300 years since this occured. during this time, the gods have seemingly left Krynn and new, false religions have popped up everywhere. Dragons have also disappeared, and many believe them to be nothing more than myths. Clerics with true healing powers are non-existant. It's a time of great suspicion where the peoples of Ansalon have little trust in strangers as well as in other races. The once noble and honorable Knights of Solamnia were well known and respected across the lands. Now, they are despised and hated; the people blame the knighthood for the cataclysm. This time is known as "the Time of Dispair".

The campaign starts off in a seemingly innocent fashion. The PCs are sweapt up into the lives of two barbarians that are on the run and carry a magical staff. What is peculiar about the staff is that it has the ability to heal the sick and wounded. A feat that has not occured in over 300 years. Is the staff a gift from the long forgotten true gods or is it something more sinister?

Looking For

Six to Eight mature players. The campaign will focus on role playing, story, and character developement. There will be less of an emphasis on Combat. The campaign will have a serious tone, so players must be able to stay focused on the game.

Time

The players will meet on a bi-weekly schedule. The time is negotiable, to an extent. I'm available weekdays from 5PM to 11PM and weekends are open to any time. The server is located in GMT -6:00 (Saskatchewan, Canada).

How to get involved

Just post in this thread if you think you might be interested. If I get alot of response, then I'll let you know if we have room for you or not.

Thanks in advance

Blahness98
January 25th, 2007, 16:33
I'll be interested. Unfortunately, I can only game on weekends as I am working during the weekday times you listed.

Blue Haven
January 25th, 2007, 16:42
Hey :) i´m free
I think i can play with you (my time is GMT+0 but no problem) just let me know the hour of play and the day ok?
Bye

Sir Bayard
January 25th, 2007, 17:25
I am definitely interested, due to my love of Dragonlance. I am also GMT -6, though not at 5 pm, and only on Friday and Sunday. So, depending upon what the majority is looking for time wise, I'm very interested.

JohnWes
January 25th, 2007, 22:20
I am interested in a week day game, as I work on the weekends. I've never played DL, but did read Chronicles, Legends, and an assortment of the side novels over the years.

mcgarnagle
January 25th, 2007, 23:17
Okay, I realize that we have a bunch of people who can play on weekends, and a bunch who can play only on weekdays. I'm going to pick a specific time and day right now (It won't be set in stone, but at least people will be able to try and match up their schedules with it.) I apologize to anyone who this does not work out for.

I'm going to tentatively shoot for alternate Sundays. We could either start in the afternoon or early evening and play for 5 or 6 hours. I say this is Tentative because I'm still waiting for a friend of mine to give me his schedule. Stay posted for a definitive answer!

Reyn
January 25th, 2007, 23:21
Would any DL knowledge be required for this campaign? Also I'm curious what level characters we'll be starting with or if we will be playing characters from the novels (I really haven't read any dragonlance materials yet, though there is plenty available at my local bookstore and library)

Oh Yeah, currently i'm available anytime, so long as I'm awake...

mcgarnagle
January 26th, 2007, 00:33
Would any DL knowledge be required for this campaign? Also I'm curious what level characters we'll be starting with or if we will be playing characters from the novels (I really haven't read any dragonlance materials yet, though there is plenty available at my local bookstore and library)

Oh Yeah, currently i'm available anytime, so long as I'm awake...

Some DL knowledge would certainly help, but is not necessary. Any information that is required will be supplied. (The less you know about the novels, the more fun you might have, in my opinion.) The adventure starts with the PCs at around level 3 or 4, and, although the characters from the novel are supplied with the adventure, no PC will be playing any of them. They will have to make their own character.

mcgarnagle
January 26th, 2007, 00:43
Okay, here is a quick list of players that will be playing, provided that their schedules don't conflict with the time.

Blahness98
Blue Haven
Sir Bayard
JohnWes (I know you said you can only play weedays, but the spot is yours if you can somehow make it. Let me know. Remember, Server Timezone is GMT -6:00 so it still could work for you depending on your location.)
Reyn
Aeon
Jaraak

That's all the players we'll need for this campaign. If any of you decide that you can't make it, then please private message me. In the mean time, start thinking of character ideas. Within the next couple of days, maybe sooner, I'll send each of you a Private Message that will contain a link to a message board that we will be using for this campaign.

Stay Tuned!

JohnWes
January 26th, 2007, 01:09
I can play Sundays depending on the time. The later the better. And also, what source books are you using?

Salareigns
January 26th, 2007, 01:59
Are there any other slots available. I know some DL and have read some books. I like playing clerics if you guys need one. I can play week nights and weekends.

mcgarnagle
January 26th, 2007, 02:10
I can play Sundays depending on the time. The later the better. And also, what source books are you using?

We'll only be using the core 3.5 D&D books for this one and the Dragonlance Campaign setting. If you are really set on something from another book, I *might* let you use it, but that's a pretty big might. ;)

Are there any other slots available. I know some DL and have read some books. I like playing clerics if you guys need one. I can play week nights and weekends.

Right now we have 7 slots and we can have up to 8. If you want it, it's yours.

About clerics: In the War of the Lance, clerics don't exist. There are false clerics, who don't have any spells due to the fact that the gods who grant them these divine powers have left. With that in mind, you can still play clerics, but you won't have spells. Once I give out the link, you can get more information on this type of character if you are still interested. I don't want to spoil things for people who are not familiar with the story, but let me reassure you, clerics will eventually be allowed. (Even the kind that can cast spells! :D)

Salareigns
January 26th, 2007, 02:19
Well that bites but its cool, how about mages? If no magic then I will be a fighter :p

Sir Bayard
January 26th, 2007, 02:24
Aye, there are Wizards in the Dragonlance world, during the War of the Lance. No sorcerers or mystics (if you're familiar with the Dragonlance Campaign Setting), but that's a DM call as well. I was going to ask about Clerics, due to the above mentioned circumstance. But, I think I know what I want to play. I'll wait for the link to discuss it in greater detail though, and I'm still pouring over ym DL Campaign Setting to be sure of what I want to do. Finally, I bought this book in 2003, and I could never find someone to DM Dragonlance, and never wanted to DM it myself. Thank you Fantasy Grounds. *waits patiently for link*

Salareigns
January 26th, 2007, 02:28
I have played on FG before and was wondering if you guys play with a voice program or just type everything in the chat window?

Sir Bayard
January 26th, 2007, 02:51
I have played on FG before and was wondering if you guys play with a voice program or just type everything in the chat window?

Man, that was gonna be my first quesiton when he posted the link... heh heh. you keep stealing all my questions. heh

Jaraak
January 26th, 2007, 04:49
5pm or later on Sundays is perfect for me! (Its Monday morning for me)

I've been looking at the DL Camp Setting, from what I've seen they're all 3.0 edition. Is there a v3.5 one that I'm just missing? I'm interested in playing a spell-less Cleric packed to the brim with tornies and bandaids! I'll make a decision once I've got more information.

mcgarnagle
January 26th, 2007, 12:37

I've used voice chat before and I liked it. With this many players, I think that it's best that we do use it. In the past, as GM, I've always made it a rule that the voice chat be used strictly for Out of Character (OOC). Anything that you want to do or say with your character, you write it down in the chat window. I think I'll probably stick with this rule as well.

With that said, I don't have and voice chat server programs on my computer. I have Ventrilo, but I don't think I can host a server with the software I have, but I could be wrong.

In any case, I want to use a chat program that will have a toggle button for chatting. Nothing worse than having the voice chat running the whole time with that many people. I know Ventrilo is capable of this, but I don't think it supports enough people for our needs.

5pm or later on Sundays is perfect for me! (Its Monday morning for me)

I've been looking at the DL Camp Setting, from what I've seen they're all 3.0 edition. Is there a v3.5 one that I'm just missing? I'm interested in playing a spell-less Cleric packed to the brim with tornies and bandaids! I'll make a decision once I've got more information.

As far as i know, there is only 3.0 rules for the Dragonlance setting. That's alright, though, as 3.0 and 3.5 are pretty similar.

Sir Bayard
January 26th, 2007, 17:12
I host Ventrilo for free on my own computer, but it only allows up to 8 connections for free. With 8 players and a DM, you would have to use a paid server. I don't know what free use programs allow up to 9 connections on them at a time. I do agree with the push to talk, which is why I like Ventrilo, and I think it's one of the best voice clarity wise.

And, as far as I know, there's only the 3.0 version out, but it shouldn't be that difficult to convert if need be.

JohnWes
January 26th, 2007, 21:16

You can check out the War of the Lance Sourcebook. It's 3.5

Blahness98
January 27th, 2007, 00:31
If ventrillo requires a license after 8 players, use teamspeak. A private, not for profit server allows for 100 total connections. The server itself is easy to setup and the software is easy to use. I unfortuately don't know the bandwidth requirements for 9 users. Most I've delt with has been 6 on a stardard cable connection, but even then there was hardly any lag.

Guess we'll have to wait and see..

My two cents.

Xeran
January 27th, 2007, 01:26
Are there any spots still open here? I am a huge fan of Dragonlance, have several DL books both of the novel and D&D variety, and would love to play a couple different types of character's. Foremost among them a Mage (I am a huge fan of Raistlin). I am a dedicated player willing to put in the time and effort. I am GMT -8, but that isn't a huge difference from the server's time zome, so I think that will be cool. I am willing to provide a Writing Sample if you want one.

Blue Haven
January 27th, 2007, 12:09
I guess Blahness is right :) i have teamspeak too and it´s free and we don´t have problems this way ;)
One question can i get to be a Ranger...? i have all the books too but i don´t play DrangonLance a long time...

Sir Bayard
January 27th, 2007, 15:21
Well, I guess I'm not waiting anymore for that link to discuss stuff, or I'll end up with nothing at all left for me. I want to play a Nomad Ranger. I was waiting for the link (like I said earlier) but ah well..

mcgarnagle
January 28th, 2007, 01:43
Everyone check your private messages for the link to the boards. If you didn't get one, let me know.

To Xeran: I'm sorry but we have a full party right now. If I start a new game or if a spot opens up then I'll let you know.

Sir Bayard
January 28th, 2007, 01:47
got the link, registered, awaiting approval, hoping into a campaign right now, so will hopefully be on tomorrow.. gotta get my game setup!!! Yay to Dragonlance!

JohnWes
January 28th, 2007, 02:10
I too have registered. Are we going to create our PCs in session?

mcgarnagle
January 28th, 2007, 02:31
yeah. If you want to start with a character concept, background and all that then go ahead. Post on the boards, and we can all brainstorm ideas for everyone's characters. Then, we'll schedule a time were we can get the stat rolled up.

Xeran
January 28th, 2007, 05:53
Okay. Thanks for your time, and good luck with the game.

Blue Haven
January 28th, 2007, 21:49
Hi mcgarnagle :)
did you create a "line" on the game calendar for us? I know its not important but it gives us more style ;) Dragonlance is at hand...

hicksms
January 31st, 2007, 01:26
Do you have room for any more players? Please let me know, I am a huge DL fan, but have never had the chance to play it. If you do still have room post a PM to me to let me know the details.

Thanks

Blue Haven
January 31st, 2007, 22:46
Thanks anyway...i ask for some help in your forum to build the character because i don´t have time because of my work but no problem...see you around...