PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Crimson Rider
January 25th, 2007, 12:47
Hi, I am new to this FG thing, so have some patience with me, I apoligise in advance.

Anyways, is it possible to create 'items' so to speak, for instance, I want my player to be able to find the 'Ravenwood Longbow', can I create an item that players can then drag unto their sheetse?

richvalle
January 25th, 2007, 14:50
Hi and welcome! Any question is a good question. :)

No, items don't work that way. In fact, I don't think times work well at all and I don't use them.

I think you could create the item, and put the name on the characters inventory sheet. Then during the game you can share that item with the person that has it by dragging the little O on the top left of the time onto the portrait of the character that has that item. He will then see the item sheet (I think).

rv

Oberoten
January 25th, 2007, 17:14
Actually... it is possible to make a node on the charsheet that accepts such content. But this function is not available with the basic d20 rules that Fg comes with. You will either have to find a ruleset that supports it or create/modify your own.

Crimson Rider
January 26th, 2007, 13:07
Thanx.

Hmm, is this a thing that would be possible in FG2 perhaps?

sunbeam60
January 26th, 2007, 13:41
Thanx.

One can only hope.

richvalle
January 26th, 2007, 14:01
Thanx.

I haven't messed around with items much in FG2-Beta so someone else might be better to answer this... But from what I remember, you right click on the inventory sheet of the character and add items that way. _________________

I fired up FG2 real quick. It does seem like they are working in this direction but, so far, I wasn't able to drag and drop an item into an inventory list.

There is more meat to the items list now with fields for what the characters see when looking at an item and then what they get when the identify it. The idenitfied one has a check box next to it... sure to hide or show that text.

rv

Crimson Rider
January 26th, 2007, 14:24
Sounds yummy :)

I am building my own campaign over to FG, and it's real limited in what kind of weapons are available. Also, spells and the sort are limited. So I want a character to have a high click n drag component to it.

LordTomar
January 26th, 2007, 15:47
One thing that I like about FG is that it does not enforce rules. So in reality all you need to create an item for a player, is to have them write the name of it down on their char sheet under his items (ohh it also helps to tell him some of the stats on the item too). Then when he wants to use the weapon/item, all he would have to do is add any modifiers to his roll that are needed.

kepli
January 26th, 2007, 16:19
FG doesn't enforce rules, but it is rule-based. You need a rule-set with character sheets that work with those rules.
You can pretty easily replace one ruleset with another and even change the whole look of your FG table. I have, for instance, seen the Aracana Evolved and Iron Heroes rulesets and they look awesome ... :D

LordTomar
January 26th, 2007, 22:32
FG doesn't enforce rules, but it is rule-based. You need a rule-set with character sheets that work with those rules.

Not entirely true. Having a ruleset with a char sheet is nice, but is not needed. Nothing is making the players/DM use the in game char sheets, they could always just use hard copies of char sheets and just use FG for map/token work.

kepli
January 26th, 2007, 23:21
True ... But it is a real shame not to use those and If I may be so bold, if you just use FG for the maps, I would pick another VT ;)
I bet FG 2 will be very good in that area though :D

The real strength of FG is at this time not in mapping, but in making you feel you really play on a table, with an awesome graphics enviroment and the ability to incorporate a lot of user changes ... :)

Crimson Rider
February 1st, 2007, 11:23
I've been messing around with it quite a bit now. But sadly, can't seem to find any DM willing to game.